Thread: Cozy Powell solo albums! Top fun!

Cozy Powell solo albums! Top fun!

Picked this up the other day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Cozy_Powell Look at the list of players on the cover!

Absolutely stunning mix of 80's fusion and, well, prog (not that I'd put this on the main board, get flamed by the thatsnotproggers!). Incredible musicianship and good-humoured bombast all the way through. It really cheered me up. Going to check out the source albums now, Tilt, Octopuss and Over The Top.

Check out the 1812 Overture! (should have done this with ELPowell!)

Have a hard time believing Wiki allowed opening a page for Cozy compilation album alone ...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've had this CD for years now. Nice compilation of his 80s material. I only had "Octopuss" back in the day so it was nice to discover some of the material from his other albums. Your thread reminds me that I haven't listened to this stuff in a long while.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

There is a new book coming out in March 2020 on Cozy:

Ritchie Blackmore once said, “You can’t get any better than Cozy, you know. He’s always up there on stage going crazy, he always pushes me on when I look round. He always gives me that incentive to play because Cozy won’t let anybody take it easy.” He wasn't wrong.Cozy Powell was a talented, reliable and versatile drummer. A drummer of such calibre that he played with Jeff Beck, Rainbow, Michael Schenker, Whitesnake, Emerson and Lake, Black Sabbath and Brian May as well as being a hugely in-demand session player.But before all that he initially came to prominence with three Mickie Most produced, top twenty singles under his own name. An extraordinary feat for an instrumentalist, and a drummer at that.Cozy Powell's career as a musician is a story that needs to be told. Author Laura Shenton MA LLCM DipRSL has a Masters degree in “Music Since 1900” from Liverpool Hope University. Aside from her detailed research, her understanding of music adds an insightful angle on Cozy Powell’s abilities in this, the first and long overdue biography of this highly talented and much missed musician that presents Powell's career in all its glory. 224 page Soft cover, plus 8 page photo section.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've had this CD for years now. Nice compilation of his 80s material. I only had "Octopuss" back in the day so it was nice to discover some of the material from his other albums. Your thread reminds me that I haven't listened to this stuff in a long while.
    Yeah, I love this as well. It was my gateway into other forms of rock/jazz fusion.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I own all his albums, as well should you. Over The Top is over the top! Yes, I said it!

The Polydor Years is a fine boxset: http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/201...polydor-years/