Thread: Tull 25th anniversary box actually at reasonable prices

Tull 25th anniversary box actually at reasonable prices

Whenever I used to look on Amazon this thing was at around $100. Now it is down to $50 for slightly dented copies.

What do you all think? Is it worth it? BTW I know the Carnegie Hall concert is now available with Stand Up so maybe that is why the price has come down? How's the other stuff, the live-in-the-studio and the remixes. Are any of them keepers or are they listen-once-and-file-away?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Beacon's Bottom disc is the one that I go back to the most, aside from the Carnegie Hall stuff.

Wow, I'll sell mine for $50. I need some cash. It's in great shape.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Whenever I used to look on Amazon this thing was at around $100. Now it is down to $50 for slightly dented copies.

What do you all think? Is it worth it? BTW I know the Carnegie Hall concert is now available with Stand Up so maybe that is why the price has come down? How's the other stuff, the live-in-the-studio and the remixes. Are any of them keepers or are they listen-once-and-file-away?
    A Must if you are a Tull Head IMO.

I love Tull, but it's not worth it unless you get it cheap or are a completist. The remixes are dreadful, the redone tracks are nowhere near as good as the originals and while the live compilation disc has some good stuff, it focuses too much on 80's performances. By far the best thing is the Carnegie Hall cd, but it's incomplete and has been superceeded by the version on the Stand Up deluxe.

Quote Originally Posted by ribors View Post
    I love Tull, but it's not worth it unless you get it cheap or are a completist. The remixes are dreadful, the redone tracks are nowhere near as good as the originals and while the live compilation disc has some good stuff, it focuses too much on 80's performances. By far the best thing is the Carnegie Hall cd, but it's incomplete and has been superceeded by the version on the Stand Up deluxe.
    Agree.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The book it comes with is great.

This one was a huge disappointment for me after the excellent 20th anniversary box set - I bought this one when it first came out, and don't think I've listened to it for about 20 years. I don't even know where it is. It's probably packed away in a box somewhere! I seem to recall I didn't like the re-recordings much at all.

I decided not to buy it based on your collective comments. The most important thing is that as ribors mentions above, the Carnegie Hall show is not complete. Had this had the complete show I might have gone for it instead of shelling out for the Stand Up reissue (how many times have I bought that one already?). But given I'll need to do that soon anyway another $50 just doesn't make sense.

I also listened to a few of the re-recordings that are on Youtube and they are definitely interesting and I could even say "cool" but still I'm not sure how much I would actually listen to them.

It is a shame because it is a pretty interesting way to do a box set (i.e., not just have all the popular tracks that every collector already has anyway). But messing with the classics is always a risky business!

I seem to remember Dave Pegg citing the re-recordings as being one of the reasons that he left the band (as well as the near-constant touring - in fact I think that this is the only time in 30+ years of gig-going that I went to the same tour twice - and that was because the second time being nearly a year later I had not realised that it was still the same tour !! )

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I decided not to buy it based on your collective comments. The most important thing is that as ribors mentions above, the Carnegie Hall show is not complete. Had this had the complete show I might have gone for it instead of shelling out for the Stand Up reissue (how many times have I bought that one already?).
    I'm not sure why the box didn't just include the whole show, but if you have Living in the Past and the box, you have the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm not sure why the box didn't just include the whole show, but if you have Living in the Past and the box, you have the whole show.
    Right... I assume they figured everyone has Dharma For One and leaving it off made the rest of the show fit on a cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yeah, I never "upgraded" Living in the past to CD. By the time I was seriously replacing all my old Tull LPs and cassettes (my LITP is on cassette) with CDs the bonus track remasters were out, making most of LITP redundant.