Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw Don Rickles Over The Weekend

Saw Don Rickles Over The Weekend

Saw Don Rickles over the weekend. Rickles is 88 years old and just coming off of surgery of some kind on his leg, so he did most of the show sitting down. This was his first live show in quite some time. He is well past his prime, but considering his age I thought he did ok and his mind is obviously still sharp. He had a full old time big band with him and also showed quite a few vintage clips from appearances on talk shows, roasts and other classic moments during parts of the live show. Many of his jokes are still very un-politically correct. He was not able to walk out into the crowd like he used to, but still had plenty of jabs for the people sitting up in the front. I don’t think I remember him using the term “hockey puck” once all night though, now that I think about it. Anyway, we enjoyed it and in some ways it was kind of like stepping back in time to a bye gone era. The crowd was pretty diverse with all different age ranges which kind of surprised me. There were more young people than I expected. The place holds 2000 people and looked to be pretty full. He did around 90 minutes. Rickles is the last of the “Rat Pack” era still out there performing and although he may not still be in his prime, I enjoyed his show and had tears in my eyes at times I was laughing so hard. I think it is inspiring just to see someone of Don’s advanced age just out there doing it.

The great ones are almost all gone from that era. Best to see what you can, when you can.
    I wish David Brenner had performed more. But I did get to see Carlin. And even Kinison.
    Would have loved to see more of the older gen like Sid Caesar though.
    **sigh**
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I used to love Don Rickles on those celebrity roasts when I was a kid...though I always thought Dean Martin was a major prick especially after the way he treated the Rolling Stones when they appeared on his talk show in the mid 60's
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Always enjoyed Rickles.

Was not aware he's still alive. He and Joan Rivers should have been gone years ago, by all demographics.

Joan Rivers isn't as old as Rickles. Plus, I think all that hideous plastic surgery has preserved her a bit. What a freak!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Rivers and Dolly Parton. Walking cautionary tales for staying away from plastic surgeons.
    I always thought Rickles was pretty funny. Who cares about political correctness?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Was not aware he's still alive. He and Joan Rivers should have been gone years ago, by all demographics.
    I think Rivers is still in her 70's. Rickles remainin peers are pretty much Betty White and Bob Newhart, at least as far as those still performing.

Rivers' 81st birtday will be June 8 '14. my sister's is June 10, but she'll only be 67.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think Rivers is still in her 70's. Rickles remainin peers are pretty much Betty White and Bob Newhart, at least as far as those still performing.
    Also, from what I understand, Rickles has not changed his schtick. Rivers, on the other hand, has become unfunny and hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Rivers' 81st birtday will be June 8 '14.
    Well, perhaps, but her face is only pushing 30.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Joan Rivers, June 8, 1933
    Bob Newhart, September 5, 1929
    Don Rickles, May 8, 1926
    Betty White, January 17, 1922

Last time I saw Rickles was on Letterman a couple of years ago, and his racist schtick went down like a lead balloon, you could feel everyone in the studio cringing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Joan Rivers isn't as old as Rickles. Plus, I think all that hideous plastic surgery has preserved her a bit. What a freak!
    I agree, she looks bloody awful, she was on a UK talk show a while back and she looked terrible. Her whole face was puffed up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Last time I saw Rickles was on Letterman a couple of years ago, and his racist schtick went down like a lead balloon, you could feel everyone in the studio cringing.
    Whether or not Rickles shtick is racist or not is up to interpretation. He obviously does not think it is, as his defense is that he makes fun of everybody, including his own ethnicity. I doubt that a comedian coming up today, could get away with a lot of what he does, and I have to admit there were a few cringe inducing moments during his live show that I found somewhat uncomfortable. On the other hand I was actually surprised at how diverse his audience was. It certainly was not all aging Caucasians.

The problem with insult comedy is that you have to insult everybody or you get accused of picking on some group.

I admire comics who take a stand against insulting. It's harder to build a routine without insults (or swear words) but it can be done .

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Whether or not Rickles shtick is racist or not is up to interpretation.
    No, not in this case. It was very clearly racism and it wasn't funny. They were the type of racist jokes that mostly disappeared in the 70s - insulting for the sake of it and not even funny. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's harder to build a routine without insults (or swear words) but it can be done .
    As exemplified by Bill Cosby and Robert Klein.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No, not in this case. It was very clearly racism and it wasn't funny. They were the type of racist jokes that mostly disappeared in the 70s - insulting for the sake of it and not even funny. Embarrassing.
    Can you give examples? Guess you are not a fan of ethnic humor. And yes, there is a huge difference between poking fun of different groups and that of racism.

I've always been a big fan of Rickels, and regret not seeing a show he did locally about 10 years ago. I'm not sure I'd want to see him now, as his health is not great due to age. But I'm happy to hear he's still performing. As to the insult variety of comedy, it can be a fine art, and he's been one of the masters. Not everyone can do it without coming across as just plain mean. The idea is to insult someone and they still laugh. Some of the current celebrity roasts just seem to be an excuse for very crude and vulger insults that for me cross the line.

Rickles is the crowned king of ball busters - - - love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    As to the insult variety of comedy, it can be a fine art, and he's been one of the masters. Not everyone can do it without coming across as just plain mean. The idea is to insult someone and they still laugh. Some of the current celebrity roasts just seem to be an excuse for very crude and vulger insults that for me cross the line.
    Yes indeed. Lisa Lampanelli's brand of roast humor is just gross and adolescent. I stopped watching because they stopped being funny.

Glad to hear Rickles has still got it.

Couple years back went to see Tony Bennett who was probably around 84 at the time, wow, he absolutely killed!

I love seeing these old greats still doing their thing.

on the other hand we just had BB King roll through town a couple of days ago and the internet forums are buzzing with people complaining of the poor old guy (88 I think) that can't even make it through a song except a 15 minute version of You Are My Sunshine??? Sounded like the thrill was gone.
    Or just go catch Chuck Berry (88) do one of his regular sold out monthly gigs, yes, he forgets lyrics and can only duck walk maybe about 1 step and puts on about a 45 minute set but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Guess you are not a fan of ethnic humor.
    Says the white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Glad to hear Rickles has still got it.

Couple years back went to see Tony Bennett who was probably around 84 at the time, wow, he absolutely killed!

I love seeing these old greats still doing their thing.

on the other hand we just had BB King roll through town a couple of days ago and the internet forums are buzzing with people complaining of the poor old guy (88 I think) that can't even make it through a song except a 15 minute version of You Are My Sunshine??? Sounded like the thrill was gone.
    Or just go catch Chuck Berry (88) do one of his regular sold out monthly gigs, yes, he forgets lyrics and can only duck walk maybe about 1 step and puts on about a 45 minute set but who cares?
    Pollstar just posted an article today about BB King’s shows and also mentioned Chuck Berry. It can be a fine line as to when an artist really needs to hang it up. I would say Rickles is almost there. On the other hand there are people like Buddy Guy, who is in his 80’s and is as good, if not better than he ever has been. I have seen him twice within the last 2 years and have tickets to see him again this summer, and he is a fansatic musician and entertainer. Comedian George Burns performed until he was close to 100, and was sharp right up to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Says the white guy.
    Hey, I'm white, I've seen Chris Rock go off on white people and he's hilarious. I'm a big boy, I can take it, and funny is funny. Rickles was great in Kelly's Heros. His stand-up was hit-and-miss for me but when he was on it was pretty funny.