Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin thread

Led Zeppelin thread

Can't stop playing this song. I can't stop playing CODA actually.
    E-A-T

The eons are closing
    Love this tune from Coda. And the live version from Knebworth 1990 is awesome too.

https://youtu.be/zLy_wiQEw0o?feature=shared
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I don't have a physical copy of CODA. Damn good album. It's a compilation but it rocks like a bitch. Been listening to those rock and roll songs from Presence (Candy Store Rock, Royal Orleans, etc.). Presence is kind of marginalized. I love it.

The eons are closing
    My top IMO LZ LPs in order
    - LZ III
    - Physical Graffiti
    - House of the Holy
    - "Zoso"

Progger for sure 😏
    I'm fond/very fond of II, IV and Houses of the Holy.

Probably my overall favorite non-Prog "rock" band. I love all their albums, save perhaps the last two studio records, where I love some material, but not everything.

I actually went on a kick not long ago learning a lot of the bass parts from Zeppelin II. I think this is JPJ's finest hour. His lines and tones are just incredible, really a bass masterclass. I still can't cop everything he does in "The Lemon Song."

As far as Coda, I've always really liked "Ozone Baby," "Darlene," and "Wearing & Tearing." I don't have the version that has all those additional tracks, just the box set that does include "Traveling Riverside" and "Hey Hey." "St. Tristan's Sword" is pretty cool to hear. I'm surprised those ideas never got used anywhere else.

Bill

Only discovered this album yesterday while watching the latest Pardo/Popoff episode.

Jason Bonham Band....When You See The Sun.

It's like an alternate timeline, Led Z. There's some Soundgarden ish tracks on the album. Great vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    As far as Coda, I've always really liked "Ozone Baby," "Darlene," and "Wearing & Tearing." I don't have the version that has all those additional tracks, just the box set that does include "Traveling Riverside" and "Hey Hey."
    All three of those 1979 tracks are better than the likes of 'South Bound Saurez' (the most forgettable Zeppelin track IMHO) and 'Hot Dog'. But particularly 'Wearing And Tearing', which is a great noise. Page's riffing is MIA on much of that album, so it could have done with more of that.

Otherwise Coda is a bit 'runt of the litter' really. Given its brevity, I'm surprised it didn't include 'Hey Hey...' (not on a Led Zeppelin album) and 'Baby Come On Home' in the first place.

"St. Tristan's Sword" is pretty cool to hear. I'm surprised those ideas never got used anywhere else.
    Having played it now, I'd say the key-change with the guitar solo is pretty much the solo in 'Over The Hills And Far Away'. Especially evident in live versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Been listening to those rock and roll songs from Presence (Candy Store Rock, Royal Orleans, etc.). Presence is kind of marginalized. I love it.
    I think an issue with that album is that it doesn't have the variety of their previous ones. It has a sameness about it, for me. I think Page used to say it was his favourite though.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-18-2024 at 03:07 PM.

"South Bound Suarez" is great! - it's got a brilliant rock & roll groove, Plant sings with totally evident delight, Page's wee solo is a joyous mess, Bonzo's bass pedal is insane, the break is pure groove, & the thirty seconds of, well, coda are a glorious hoot. It's absolutely perfect for the record, plus, it sets the table for Fool in the Rain - which is even better!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think an issue with that album is that it doesn't have the variety of their previous ones. It has a sameness about it, for me. I think Page used to say it was his favourite though.
    There are no acoustic guitars, or keyboards. Otherwise I think it has a lot of variety. It's got a sort of prog epic, some great blues rock, and rootsy Rock&Roll. I love it. I like it as much as any Zeppelin album.

Not counting the Beatles as a young kid LZ were the first band I really got into and bought (or had) all albums by (mostly cassette tape). This was right before I got into prog so ages 12-15. I'm kind of burnt out on them now but Physical Graffitti is definitely one of the best double albums of all time and some of the others are (rightly) considered classics too.

If I was to rank my favorite rock bands the only two that are set in stone are Beatles, LZ. Every other band after them can be ranked anywhere. It's fluid, but Beatles and Led are etched in stone.

As much as I love the entire catalog, there's a muscularity, confidence, and swagger to Presence that I find unique. The versions of 'Nobody's Fault' and 'Achilles' from the '03 DVD are face-melting.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    As much as I love the entire catalog, there's a muscularity, confidence, and swagger to Presence that I find unique..
    Me too. Don't get why it's so maligned. It rocks like hell. I'd like to see a heavy metal band try Achilles's Last Stand. They can't. Only Zeppelin can.

Me too. Don't get why it's so maligned. It rocks like hell. I'd like to see a heavy metal band try Achilles's Last Stand. They can't. Only Zeppelin can.
    Didn't Dream Theater do a cover of Achilles?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Don't know. Don't care about Dream Theater.

All three of those 1979 tracks are better than the likes of 'South Bound Saurez' (the most forgettable Zeppelin track IMHO) and 'Hot Dog'.
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    "South Bound Suarez" is great! - it's got a brilliant rock & roll groove, Plant sings with totally evident delight, Page's wee solo is a joyous mess, Bonzo's bass pedal is insane, the break is pure groove, & the thirty seconds of, well, coda are a glorious hoot. It's absolutely perfect for the record, plus, it sets the table for Fool in the Rain - which is even better!
    I actually really like "South Bound Saurez" as well. It doesn't overstay its welcome like much of "Carouselambra" does for me. If they'd included "W&T" instead of "Hot Dog," I'd have had no complaints, though my only gripe with the latter is Page's pathetically sloppy solo. The rest is sort of fun.

Re: "St. Tristan's Sword"... Having played it now, I'd say the key-change with the guitar solo is pretty much the solo in 'Over The Hills And Far Away'. Especially evident in live versions.
    You could be right. I only listened once, and didn't catch that, but it's entirely possible.

"Sameness" is a bit of an issue on Presence, but not the big issue for me. I just think "Candy Store Rock," "Royal Orleans," and "Tea for One" are weak tunes, and "Tea for One" treads ground they'd already covered a lot better on Zeppelin III. Of course, I like "South Bound Saurez," so what do I know?

Bill

Don't know. Don't care about Dream Theater.
    Well, maybe some on here might be interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-585zzA5bMs

The eons are closing

Can't stop playing this song. I can't stop playing CODA actually.
    Another notch for LZ III as this was recorded during those (IIRC).

"Sameness" is a bit of an issue on Presence, but not the big issue for me. I just think "Candy Store Rock," "Royal Orleans," and "Tea for One" are weak tunes, and "Tea for One" treads ground they'd already covered a lot better on Zeppelin III.
    Agreed. By their standards these are thin gruel. Not disastrous, just fairly ordinary. It's telling that none of these were ever played live, that I know of. Something like 'In The Light' was quite complex and layered so you can see why it wasn't played live, but these songs? Not really.

'Achilles Last Stand' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' worked great in the live context.

On ...Out Door,'Carouselambra' is an odd thing. I don't like JPJ's Yamaha synth patch (an issue with the album generally) and I can barely hear what Plant is singing thanks to the mix. But there's some good musical ideas in there.

I like 'Fool In The Rain'. Maybe a bit longer than it needed to be but at its heart, a good little song.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think they are too slick to pull it off in any meaningful way. They could probably 'learn' it easily but with Zeppelin, there was always an edge and a sense of pushing at the limits. Dream Theater never feel like they'll lose control.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-19-2024 at 07:36 AM.

On Presence, I think a number of the shorter tracks, especially Royal Orleans, Candy Store Rock & Hots on for Nowehere, are in the same sort of musical space as The Crunge on HOTH - a kind of dirty, bluesy, heavy, grungy funk. I'm not sure there's any other band who's done anything in quite the same vein - & I guess Zep went to that space primarily because of Bonham's drumming, but also the ways in which Page was prepared to allow his riffs to paly off the rhythm/groove, rather than have the drums & bass following the riffs. Personally, I really like all of these tracks, & I think it's part of what makes the band so extraordinary that they managed to make music like this.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    On Presence, I think a number of the shorter tracks, especially Royal Orleans, Candy Store Rock & Hots on for Nowehere, are in the same sort of musical space as The Crunge on HOTH - a kind of dirty, bluesy, heavy, grungy funk. I'm not sure there's any other band who's done anything in quite the same vein - & I guess Zep went to that space primarily because of Bonham's drumming, but also the ways in which Page was prepared to allow his riffs to paly off the rhythm/groove, rather than have the drums & bass following the riffs. Personally, I really like all of these tracks, & I think it's part of what makes the band so extraordinary that they managed to make music like this.
    I dig those tracks a lot too. What I'm getting from them is quasi Rockabilly, rootsy feel from those tracks.

'The Crunge', the rhythm track is fantastic but the goofiness ('where's that confounded bridge') and that synth...less so. Then again I quite like 'D'Yer Maker' which most people don't.

What I'm getting from them is quasi Rockabilly, rootsy feel from those tracks.
    Plant and Page like their 50s rock 'n' roll, as do I.

I'm pretty burnt out on a good chunk of Led Zep, but they're easily my favorite band of all time. My top 3 albums:

1) Physical Graffiti
    2) III
    3) Houses of the Holy

...though I love em all in one way or another
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm pretty burnt out on a good chunk of Led Zep, but they're easily my favorite band of all time. My top 3 albums:

1) Physical Graffiti
    2) III
    3) Houses of the Holy

...though I love em all in one way or another
    Dude I knew you were ok.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    My top IMO LZ LPs in order
    - LZ III
    - Physical Graffiti
    - House of the Holy
    - "Zoso"