Thread: Al Stewart - Past Present & Future 50th Anniversary Box Set June 28, 2024

Al Stewart - Past Present & Future 50th Anniversary Box Set June 28, 2024

Al Stewart’s 1973 album Past, Present & Future will be reissued as a 50th anniversary 3CD+blu-ray box set in June.

Although it wasn’t a massive commercial hit like Year of the Cat or Time Passages, Stewart’s fifth album was his breakthrough record with its historical themed songs (such as ‘Old Admirals’, ‘Warren Harding’, ‘The Last Day of June 1934’, ‘Roads to Moscow’ and ‘Nostradamus’) and guest musicians including Rick Wakeman, Tim Renwick, Bruce Thomas, Dave Swarbrick, Francis Monkman and Queen’s Roger Taylor.

Stephen W Tayler has gone back to the multi-track tapes and created brand new 96/24 5.1 and new stereo mixes. These both feature on the included blu-ray, alongside a new 2024 remaster.

Two of the three CDs feature the new remix and the remaster – with some bonus tracks – while the third offers a full concert recorded at The Howff in Hampstead, London in 1974. This too has been newly remixed from the original multi track tapes (by Stephen W Tayler, again). The gig includes a guest appearance by Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash.

This limited edition box set also features an illustrated 68-page book with a new essay by Al Stewart aficionado Neville Judd along with a facsimile promotional poster and a set of four postcards.

Past, Present & Future will be reissued by Cherry Red on 28 June 2024.

CD 1: Past, Present & Future (remaster)
    2024 Re-master
    Old Admirals
    Warren Harding
    Soho (Needless to Say)
    The Last Day of June 1934
    Post World War Two Blues
    Roads to Moscow
    Terminal Eyes
    Nostradamus
    Bonus tracks
    Terminal Eyes (single version)
    Swallow Wind
    Nostradamus (single version)
    CD 2: Live at The Howff, Hampstead, 5th July 1974
    2024 Stephen W Tayler remix
    Soho (Needless to Say)
    Old Admirals
    Terminal Eyes
    Post World War Two Blues
    Clifton in the Rain / Small Fruit Song
    Roads to Moscow
    Nostradamus
    All Along the Watchtower
    Amsterdam
    CD 3: Past, Present & Future New stereo mix
    2024 mix by Stephen W Tayler
    Old Admirals
    Warren Harding
    Soho (Needless to Say)
    Post World War Two Blues
    Roads to Moscow
    Terminal Eyes
    Nostradamus
    Bonus track
    Swallow Wind
    Blu-ray
    96 kHz / 24-bit new 5.1 Surround Sound & stereo mixes by Stephen W Tayler and the remastered original stereo mix
    Old Admirals
    Warren Harding
    Soho (Needless to Say)
    Post World War Two Blues
    Roads to Moscow
    Terminal Eyes
    Nostradamus
    Bonus track
    Swallow Wind

I got out my Bigg-Assed Al Stewart box released in 2022 to compare. All the tunes are there. The Live show is not...so there's that and of course the 5.1 mix, booklet & trinkets. Amazon wants $68 ImportCD wants $54.

Of course I'll be ordering it......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I got that Big Ass box too! Figured that would be it with the Cat and Passages boxes.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This sounds like a really good release. I love this album, but I can't remember which cover it has - which one is it? I had a used LP, and this was probably the one of his I listened to most. I would have liked this set, but it actually seemed like too much Al Stewart, and the price was hard to swallow. Ah, well, the one that got away...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I got that Big Ass box too! Figured that would be it with the Cat and Passages boxes.
    No way, man! The Big-Ass boxes are like black holes - they suck in this kind of smaller box set or hardbound release

Probably my favourite Al Stewart album, I first encountered it via a second hand vinyl copy in the mid 70’s, the songs and great. I could be tempted as I do not have this massive box set to which you refer. I did pick up The Year Of The Cat special edition, which is a cool set.

The box set price being hard to swallow is an understatement. Most expensive one I've bought. My logic didn't pay off. I figured that was the last thing that would come out.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Saw Al last night at Yoshi's Oakland. Still sounds great. Empty Pockets played 15 minutes before Al came out. Good band with pedestrian material.

That band has gotten a lot better each time I've seen them. They do well backing up Al.
    I have tickets to see him the same night Iluvatar is playing at Orion Studios. Damn!!!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The box set price being hard to swallow is an understatement. Most expensive one I've bought. My logic didn't pay off. I figured that was the last thing that would come out.
    It kind of sucks for hardcore Al Stewart fans that these other deluxe editions are coming out after the box.

How much was the big-ass box again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Probably my favourite Al Stewart album, I first encountered it via a second hand vinyl copy in the mid 70’s, the songs and great. I could be tempted as I do not have this massive box set to which you refer. I did pick up The Year Of The Cat special edition, which is a cool set.
    Agree, I think it is his overall best, although not going to spring for the box set.