Thread: R&R hall of fame induction party

R&R hall of fame induction party

Hi, My wife and I have been invited to attend the induction party and so I would like to buy dinner for the couple paying our way, does anyone know of restaurants in the area of barkley Center they would recommend? Not too popular hopefully so it won't be too crowded, we will probably only get in the area around 5 so just 2 hours till we need to get inside.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Hi, My wife and I have been invited to attend the induction party and so I would like to buy dinner for the couple paying our way, does anyone know of restaurants in the area of barkley Center they would recommend? Not too popular hopefully so it won't be too crowded, we will probably only get in the area around 5 so just 2 hours till we need to get inside.

Thanks!
    There are a million restaurants in the area. Do you have something to narrow it down? Type of food, price range, etc?

Pretty open to any style except sushi and Chinese, would like to avoid very expensive places. $25 to $30 entrees would work well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Pretty open to any style except sushi and Chinese, would like to avoid very expensive places. $25 to $30 entrees would work well. Thanks!
    I'm not an authority on that specific area, but I do eat out a lot in Manhattan and Bkyln in general and there are two places near Barclays that I think are really good.

My favorite is called Kaz An Nou (53 6th Avenue) which is a French Caribbean place. Great food and incredible value, IMO - entrees are in the $15-$20 range and the food has a very "home-made" character and is prepared by the chef/owner. The cons are BYOB, not a large menu and they don't take reservations, but you would not have any issues getting a table if you were to show up at 5:30. IMO, this is actually one of the best meals for the buck I've ever been to in NYC. A very special place, IMO. Got a great write-up in the NY Times, too.
    http://www.kazannou.com/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/di...unde.html?_r=0

The other is a Portugese/Italian fusion place called Convivium Osteria (68 5th Avenue). This will be livelier and more crowded (as well as a bit more spacious and comfortable and they do serve alcohol), but they also take reservations, so if you're in, you're in. This one is in a higher price point: entrees mostly $20-$30 (or, in the case of the ribeye-for-two, $80).

I've eaten at a few other places around Barclays over the years that didn't leave any lasting impressions. It's a fast-changing neighborhood, though, and I'm sure there are lots of really good places that I haven't tried. If neither of my suggestions sound appealing, my suggestion would be to research the area just south of Atlantic Avenue (where these two are located), as there are lots of restaurants there - very close to Barclays. I'm sure you could find something to your liking that people were recommending on Yelp or food blogs or whatever.

Thanks Facelift, both places look good. Kaz An Nou has my interest and I've just emailed our friend about it. I have a place I love in the city we go to once a year I think you may like, Apizz info here:http://www.apizz.com/

Thanks again!