Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic left off new YES album because they didn't have time to record it!

Epic left off new YES album because they didn't have time to record it!

Unbelieveble!!!! Just hope this album won't sound incohesive because of the rush it was made?

Yes frontman Jon Davison has revealed the band had to abandon an epic track they were hoping to include on upcoming album Heaven & Earth – because they ran out of time to record it.

Hectic schedules meant every man in the veteran prog outfit was recording material at the same moment as they rushed to complete sessions before continuing their current world tour.

Davison, who makes his studio debut with Yes on the July release, tells ProgReport: “We finished recording just in time – we had to leave.

“We were doubling up in the studio. Chris Squire and I were working on background vocals and Steve Howe was finishing guitars. Geoff Downes was in Wales, Alan White was in Seattle and they were both sending tracks.

“We were just kind of throwing everything in at the last minute, then we only had two or three days before we had to start this tour.”

The tight timeframe forced Davison and Squire to stop work on what the singer describes as a “big prog piece.” He says: “That’ll probably be on the next album. We’ve got a bunch of extra material because things were just left undone.”

Yes return to the UK at the end of the month for a tour featuring performances of The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and Going For The One in full:
    Last edited by Rufus; 04-04-2014 at 06:15 AM.

their schedules were / are crippling. YES’s current workload is momentous; i am surprised that they did actually manage to get an album done before being sent on tour again. downes, before this, had to finish an ASiA album, not to mention filming an incredibly complex video clip...

i am not too bothered about lack of an extended epic because i have always preferred them in a 10minute format. and that's supposedly well represented on the new one.

Nice to hear things have gelled with Davison... there will be a "next" album... all is well in Yesland!

I will be seeing Yes this evening and tomorrow evening. Really looking forward to it.

I'm guessing that their promoter is not too happy about these statements.

Great way to lower expectations.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    not to mention filming an incredibly complex video clip...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think it was Jon and Geoff (not Chris) who were unable to finish a "big prog piece."

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Unbelieveble!!!! Just hope this album won't sound incohesive because of the rush it was made?
    The original interview is at http://progreport.com/jon-davison-yes-interview/ and well worth a listen. Downes has since confirmed Davison's comments, saying, "It's 15 minutes long with 6 or 7 different sections."

I don't think the album was rushed any more than many albums. They actually spent a long time working on material before going into the studio. But it does sound like they have quite a bit of material that hasn't been used on this album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    I think it was Jon and Geoff (not Chris) who were unable to finish a "big prog piece."
    Yes, whoever Rufus is quoting has misunderstood.

Henry

wasn't Fragile rather rushed as well? this seems like a good thing to me, it means there's stuff left around for another album
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    wasn't Fragile rather rushed as well? this seems like a good thing to me, it means there's stuff left around for another album
    When Fragile was recorded they were young, hungry & creative. Most if not all artists/bands eventually lose that creative spark as they grow older. Can't see the new album coming even close to Fragile?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    wasn't Fragile rather rushed as well?
    The first four Yes albums were all made pretty quickly, as was Drama. The albums that had really long recording blocks were later, most notably Big Generator.

Henry

Sometimes comments can be taken out of context. On March 7th, Geoff Downes tweeted when he left LA that his parts were finished & the rest of the band would finish up w/ RTB the following week. Based on his tweets, he was in California recording the YES album from about the beginning of January.

As for the “Big Epic song”, I got the impression that it came along too late in the process to make it onto this record…?

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    As for the “Big Epic song”, I got the impression that it came along too late in the process to make it onto this record…?
    Yes. I don't think they even tried to record it. They wrote more than 1 album's worth of material, but they then had a clear idea of what they would record.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    When Fragile was recorded they were young, hungry & creative. Most if not all artists/bands eventually lose that creative spark as they grow older. Can't see the new album coming even close to Fragile?
    I guess what I'm trying to really say there is that A) I'm still in awe of the Yes catalogue from 71 to 74, and B) I would be more afraid of an album that was worked on for years than one that they had to do quickly.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The first four Yes albums were all made pretty quickly, as was Drama. The albums that had really long recording blocks were later, most notably Big Generator.

Henry
    Oh, well, then, that's a good sign for the new one!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    But it does sound like they have quite a bit of material that hasn't been used on this album.
    I can picture the PE threads once Heaven and Earth is released: "This album is ok, but what we really want is that lost epic and missing tracks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I can picture the PE threads once Heaven and Earth is released: "This album is ok, but what we really want is that lost epic and missing tracks!"
    Don't forget labeling the next release "Heaven and Earth Leftovers."

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Don't forget labeling the next release "Heaven and Earth Leftovers."
    Ha! So true! And when the Leftovers album comes out, there will be the outcry of "Why didn't they buckle down and write more new material for this? See? They can't make it with out Jon A!" It's a no-win cycle for the band.

It seems some are falling into the trap of assuming a prog album's quality is based on a song's length. 'The Yes Album' and 'Fragile' didn't have much over the ten minute mark but those are two of the best albums they ever made. It's better to have too much material available than not enough.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    I don't see the need to wait until release date to start that thread

Exactly.

I still don't understand how the length of time it takes to record an album, or the time between when a song is written and when it's recorded has anything to do with whether it's going to be any good or not.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Loaf of Prog Left Unpinched"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Exactly.

I still don't understand how the length of time it takes to record an album, or the time between when a song is written and when it's recorded has anything to do with whether it's going to be any good or not.
    Don't know what their problem was. How hard is it to record waterfalls and singing birds for five minutes and jam it into the middle of one of their other songs?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Loaf of Prog Left Unpinched"
    I hate when that happens.

It's interested to hear that the early Yes albums were recorded "pretty quickly". I can't say I've read a lot of Yes interviews, but I'd gotten the impression that the recording process was somewhat painful and arduous...with purposely exaggerated references to "taking a week to get a good snare sound", etc. And Bruford didn't seem too enamored with the process of recording in those days, judging by his book.
    <sig out of order>