Thread: SAND – the solo project by sam healy (NORTH ATLANTiC OSCiLLATiON)

SAND – the solo project by sam healy (NORTH ATLANTiC OSCiLLATiON)

this excellent release has, so far, flown under the radar to an extent ... if your prog ist post with high electronica infusion give this one a listen. here is a short review that i have posted on my fb page:

SAND is the solo project of Sam Healy from North Atlantic Oscillation, a Scottish post-rock outfit that has become a quiet favourite of mine. Over the course of an EP and two very diverse albums (2009’s “Grappling Hooks” and 2012’s “Fog Electric”) they have often been bestowed with that dreaded “next big thing” tag. North Atlantic Oscillation have so far kept a modest third-league profile which has allowed them to further develop their already distinctive style of ambient guitar washes, trippy electronica, uplifting vocals and intricate polyrhythms. They and, indeed, this side project are thus well-placed within the catalogue of the k-scope label, which seems to go from strength to strength and sees its artists thrive and flourish within the company that they keep.

On the whole, this solo album does not defer too much from NAO’s style, which is mainly due to Healy’s distinctive voice and whimsical songwriting. A heavier bias on synthesizers and samples opposed to NAO’s low-fi rock-orientedness probably sets it apart but, on a whole, this is a wonderfully atmospheric release, albeit in danger of merely becoming a lost NAO album. Still, there is much to enjoy here, the first online release “clay” is nothing short of magnificent in its almost physical wall-of-sound and lines such as “How long till you throw me to the floor Howling ‘stand no more’ I can't eat, I can't sleep” in the lamento-style “destroyer” really tugs at one’s gut region. It’s an easy album to take through your day and the driving staccato of “Are you comfortable / paralyzed / compromised / satisfied / desolate / recognised etc....” in the frenzied symphonia of “A Pill To Keep The Plane From Crashing” really does add to give you that final push to either deliver or to throw things down – and who cannot be tempted to visualise MH370s fate when listening to this onslaught of cacophonic sounds and words. Anyway, SAND is a great album that holds up well on its own, however, those in the know will use it to boost their enthusiasm for this year’s third release by North Atlantic Oscillation. I do.

I heard a couple tracks on progrock.com and really liked them. I'll be looking to buy on my next round of purchases.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Good observation iguana. I wasn't sure how to describe them but I really like everything I've heard so far. Have Sand and the 2 NAO CD's. Love Sam's voice. Spotted them in one of the K-Scope CD inserts about a year ago and they looked interesting. Highly recommended and looking forward to a new NAO later this year.

Downloaded this from Amazon this evening and I'm looking forward to it from what I've heard so far.
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?