Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: FEATURED CD - Van Der Graaf Generator : Pawn Hearts

By the way - with reference to the seeming shift in the "fit" of PH's lyrics to the flow of the music - thinking about the words in Still Life, & especially about time & its passing, I looked back to Pioneers Over C - the difference is quite striking. To take just one example, compare the lines mentioned from Still Life with this "couplet" from the earlier track:

"Well now where is the time and who the hell am I,
    here floating in an aimless way?"

I think this suggests that in some areas at least, PH had improved significantly as a writer (of words at least) over the course of these five years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    That was too deep even for a Greek philosopher, so I will ponder on it a bit more
    Socrates! You magnificent bastard! I read your book!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Socrates! You magnificent bastard! I read your book!
    Oh, it wasn't me, just some random disciple called Plato or something

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Is it time itself which no longer has any meaning in still life? - or is it the passing away of time?

I tend to think the latter - which is perhaps less metaphysically striking, but more existentially accurate.
    Well my reading is that the reference is to time itself rather than (ultimately) passing away time. The act can be viewed itself as a reaction to the meaningless of time and what we do with it. As when noted scholar of mythology Joseph Campbell was once asked what is the meaning of life, he asked in return "What is the meaning of a flower?". Implying that it just exists and one can simply enjoy it's beauty rather then impose the externality of the observer's concept of meaning upon it. Hence my original question regarding the lyric. To further quote the great Mr. Campbell:

People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.
    Perhaps like many of you, I can remember the rapture of being alive. Then I got married.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Oh, it wasn't me, just some random disciple called Plato or something
    Yes, Socrates left no written record. Nearly all of what we know of him is through his student Plato. Rick, please go to the back of the class and stop listening to Jon Anderson lyrics.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Sorry. My total mass has clearly not retained.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I await the results of your ponderings in great anticipation.
    Well, if your comment is on a musical basis then it is clear: he needs to revisit after all these years and let us know if there really was no meaning.
    Bit for some reason I thought you were literal to the core, so in this case the "follow up to Still Life" would be an afterlife experience, in which we would know that there was never any meaning.

That Magma concert must have eradicated my little mental faculty in any case...

^^^
    it seems to me your faculties are quite intact. Quite the astute observation (unless I am misreading you) that an afterlife, being itself immortality, would in any event render this life meaningless.

P.S. One must expect to lose a few million brain cells at a good Magma concert.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    ^^^
    it seems to me your faculties are quite intact. Quite the astute observation (unless I am misreading you) that an afterlife, being itself immortality, would in any event render this life meaningless.
    Personally, I think the idea of immortality may actually be a reference to the idea of eternity:

"Eternity has nothing to do with time. Eternity is that dimension of here and now that all thinking in temporal terms cuts off.... the experience of eternity right here and now, in all things, whether thought of as good or as evil, is the function of life.” - Joseph Campbell
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

^^^
    Perhaps. Reminds me of the immortal words of William Blake:

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Eternity is also experienced on those days when PE is extra slow to load.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

If you don't like his screaming vocal "Impaled upon the arrow!", then the fiery essence of PH is not for you IMO. That searing vocal assault ....
    Well, I'm not referring to matters of timbre and intensity particularly.

I used to consider the second incarnation inferior to the first. The flow of lyrics in relation to the music seemed less natural and more forced in the second case.
    Yes.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes