Thread: Black Star Riders

Black Star Riders

Curious what people think of them here. I picked up the album recently and am digging it although I think the lead singer trys to sound a little too much like Phillip Lynott at times. Overall though it is some pretty good heavy twin guitar rock n roll. What say you?

I've been wanting to get this album for a while. I'll have to order on-line because I haven't seen it at any B&Ms. I'll check it out on youtube before I decide. Being that I'm such a harmony-guitar freak and Thin Lizzy fan I should be all over this album. Is it pretty generous with the guitar harmonies, or is it just a flurry here and there?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've been wanting to get this album for a while. I'll have to order on-line because I haven't seen it at any B&Ms. I'll check it out on youtube before I decide. Being that I'm such a harmony-guitar freak and Thin Lizzy fan I should be all over this album. Is it pretty generous with the guitar harmonies, or is it just a flurry here and there?
    I would say the guitar harmonies are similar to what you would find on a Thin Lizzy record. They never really jam out with anything lengthy, but there is a lot of it in small doses.

although I think the lead singer trys to sound a little too much like Phillip Lynott at times.
    Yeah he does lay it on thick with the Lynott style. But they are essentially a Thin Lizzy tribute band. I've played a few tracks on Youtube. No real opinion yet. It's heavy, it's got the guitar harmonies, and it sounds like Thin Lizzy (which is the whole point, I guess). More comments later.

Played the whole album on Youtube. I like it. I might try a couple stores here and there. If I don't find it I'll just order it on Amazon. As I was listening to the tracks I wondered who produced the album. For some reason it has that Kevin Shirley sound (even while listening on a computer with tiny built-in speakers in the display). Well, sure enough it's produced by the Caveman. Christ this man is everywhere these days. But whatever, Kevin obviously loves classic/rock and he goes for that organic, live-in-the-studio sound. Good album. I think it just goes to show how strong Lynott's legacy was/is.

Played the whole album on Youtube. I like it. I might try a couple stores here and there. If I don't find it I'll just order it on Amazon. As I was listening to the tracks I wondered who produced the album. For some reason it has that Kevin Shirley sound (even while listening on a computer with tiny built-in speakers in the display). Well, sure enough it's produced by the Caveman. Christ this man is everywhere these days. But whatever, Kevin obviously loves classic/rock and he goes for that organic, live-in-the-studio sound. Good album. I think it just goes to show how strong Lynott's legacy was/is.
    Yea, the CD sounds fantastic with Shirley's production. Very well recorded. The more I listen to this the more I like it. I am kind of suprised at the lack of comments on this here as the album made a lot of top 10 lists last year in the rock world.

I am kind of suprised at the lack of comments on this here as the album made a lot of top 10 lists last year in the rock world.
    Well, they aren't prog (or Kiss ). I started a Thin Lizzy thread last year when I got the album "Fighting." The thread got some action but it never went beyond one page. I also mentioned Black Star Riders on the thread and that was the post that killed the thread. PE has never been a hotbed for Thin Lizzy fans. Yeah we talk a lot about many classic/rock and heavy metal bands but Lizzy doesn't get a lot of attention. You have to be a Lizzy fan to like BSR, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yea, the CD sounds fantastic with Shirley's production. Very well recorded. The more I listen to this the more I like it. I am kind of suprised at the lack of comments on this here as the album made a lot of top 10 lists last year in the rock world.
    I have it. It's good but I don't find myself returning to it much. I just like a few songs on it, the rest didn't do much for me.

Played the whole album on Youtube. I like it. I might try a couple stores here and there. If I don't find it I'll just order it on Amazon.
    Have you checked your local Best Buy? I've seen the cd for sale in every Best Buy here in Central Florida.

I went to Best Buy yesterday. They didn't have it.

I never even heard of this band until I read the comments in this thread. So I purchased the download and have to say that I really like this album. Not a surprise that I like it, I always did like Thin Lizzy.
    I also like the fact that they did not put this out as a Thin Lizzy album, sure it sounds like them but with only one original member it isn't them.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think there's plenty of love for TL here, but your not getting pages and pages of response. BSR is to Thin Lizzy what Starcastle is to Yes, for what its worth. The songs I've heard on YT are reminiscent of the latter day, lesser interesting stuff from about '78 and beyond.

I also like the fact that they did not put this out as a Thin Lizzy album, sure it sounds like them but with only one original member it isn't them.
    There are no original members actually. Scott Gorham is not an oringinal member. Eric Bell was Thin Lizzy's first guitarist. He came up with the bame Thin Lizzy.

BSR is to Thin Lizzy what Starcastle is to Yes
    Oh c'mon.

There are no original members actually. Scott Gorham is not an oringinal member. Eric Bell was Thin Lizzy's first guitarist. He came up with the bame Thin Lizzy.

I never knew that , I stand corrected.

He came up with the bame Thin Lizzy.
    The what?

What is a bame? I'm makin' words up now.