Thread: Franco Mussida is a MONSTER Guitarist ! ! !

Franco Mussida is a MONSTER Guitarist ! ! !

I've been listening to PFM's latest stuff, specifically Stati Di Immaginazione and WOW

I have always admired his work on the first 3 albums and Jetlag... but he has gotten BETTER with age!

I must say that at this point I would put him in the top 5 Rock Guitarists that don't come from the Jazz world.

Up there with Hendrix, Gilmour, Latimer and Hazel as far as emotional feel and ability to express it powerfully
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Totally agree!
    He sounds like Latimer on Buona Novella. Great stuff.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Indeed! One of the best, comfortable in a very wide range of styles, maybe even moreso than Howe.

Here is a monster guitarist!

But can he play this guitar?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anything else besides Stati you've been listening to? Agree he has some great solos on Stati

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anything else besides Stati you've been listening to? Agree he has some great solos on Stati
    Buona Novella and the Drac soundtrack as well... but the fact that Stati was recorded with no overdubs is the truly amazing thing. His creativity and spontaneity is unmatched except for the few I listed.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does the Drac CD have some nice solos?

Will be seeing them this Sunday at their one-off Chicago gig (w/District 97 opening). Will have to check out the newer stuff as well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Saw PFM twice when they toured America in 1977 and realized then and there that Mussida was a great guitarist. IMO he has always been one of the most underrated guitars in all of prog. And like Steve Hackett, and a Italian fine wine, he just gets better with age
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Saw PFM twice when they toured America in 1977 and realized then and there that Mussida was a great guitarist. IMO he has always been one of the most underrated guitars in all of prog. And like Steve Hackett, and a Italian fine wine, he just gets better with age
    It seems that Italian guitarists seem to get short shrift compared to Italian keyboard players. I guess it's hard not to, considering the quality of the Italian keyboardists.

Franco Mussida is not the only under appreciated Italian guitarist.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Jet Lag. Amazing stuff.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

he was often very derivative of Fripp on the classic first three albums imo.Still, pulled off with more than enough musicality and skill so as not to bother me.

He's also probably been the main composer in PFM over the years, though it's hard to tell for sure from the credits. A great singer as well IMO.

If you want to hear some more impressive Mussida guitar solos on the previous two albums, try "La Quieta che Verra" from Serendipity:

and "Il Mio Nome e Nessuno" from Ulisse:

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    If you want to hear some more impressive Mussida guitar solos on the previous two albums, try "La Quieta che Verra" from Serendipity and "Il Mio Nome e Nessuno" from Ulisse
    those are the previous 2 from the Drac soundtrack. Then after Drac there was the PHENOMENAL Stati Di Immaginazione and more recently 2 albums with Italian singer Fabrizio De Andrč; Canta de André and Buona Novella.

There's also a "Mozart" album with orchestra

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Those albums are not WITH Fabrizio de Andre (RIP), they are songs OF Fabrizio de Andre.
    Great albums as well. I have them in a very nice boxset.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Those albums are not WITH Fabrizio de Andre (RIP), they are songs OF Fabrizio de Andre.
    Great albums as well. I have them in a very nice boxset.
    didn't know he was dust... R.I.P.

so then... who is singing like him on those albums?

Yeah I've always felt Mussida was one of the most underrated guitarists out there. Even the first few albums he is amazing on, and those are the ones I enjoy musically the most anyway. He kiils it on Jet Lag. Don't care as much for Stati.. but his playing is impeccable, both technically and emotionally.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't think he's that good. He's that totally and fully amazing. Love him.

If you like Mussida you must get hold of www.pfmpfm.it, the live album from the "Ulisse" tour. Fabulous.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The 2 live albums with De Andre came out in 1979-1980. Maybe, they've been recently re-released? There is also the PFM reworking of the early De Andre album, La Buona Novella, which came out in 2010.

There have been four albums with PFM playing Fabrizio de Andre's music:

1-Arrangiamenti PFM vol. 1
    2-Arrangiamenti PFM vol. 2
    Recorded and Released in 1979-1980. PFM plays while de Andre sings. For discography purposes, these are regarded as "Fabrizio de Andre" albums.

3-PFM canta de Andre
    Released in 2008, PFM cover some of de Andre's songs, most of which they already played in better versions on the Arrangiamenti albums. This was a CD+DVD release.

4-AD 2010 La Buona Novella
    Released in 2010, PFM re-record all of de Andre's 1970 album "La Buona Novello," adding new interludes between each song.

3 and 4 above were combined into a package caled "AmicoFaber" in 2011.