Thread: Whats the deal with Genesis boxset 1976-1983 ?

Whats the deal with Genesis boxset 1976-1983 ?

I can't seem to find it anywhere. Also Abacab is hard to find on its own. Whats the deal ?

I believe all the studio box sets are long out of print.

i thought it was 1976-1982.

Are you referring to the Archive: 1976 - 1992 box?

Wow, I had no idea these had gone out of print. Amazon marketplace sellers are asking up to $900 lol... I doubt anyone will pay that. Thankfully I ordered all five of them as they were released!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The SACDs/DVDs of this period did get separate releases. If all else fails try getting those versions separately. Granted, you won't get the single-only songs there.

The only box I got was the Gabriel-era one, when it came out.

Personally I was not pleased that the original mixes went out of print in favour of these remixes. IMHO they should rectify that. Preferably with a box like that Yes one that came out recently, featuring vinyl replicas and all the original mixes...maybe even an extra disc of all the studio B-sides/EP tracks.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-31-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    i thought it was 1976-1982.

Are you referring to the Archive: 1976 - 1992 box?
    Yes you're correct

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have the Gabriel-era box, and the stereo mixes on the DVDs are the worst things I've ever heard. The CDs and the 5.1 material sound fine.

For heavens sake why don't they reissue the blue box set? It's obvious there's a demand. Manufacturing the package can't be all that difficult. The individual releases don't quite cut it for me, I want the full version of Beloved Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I want the full version of Beloved Summer.
    Ahhhh, such a gorgeous song. I made a version where that faded into "Los Endos" and it is a thing of beauty!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Please bear in mind there has been a label switch here following EMIs demise and during the switchover certain catalogue items tend to disappear and then appear again as new logos, catalogue numbers etc have to be used. With a big catalogue their can often be quite a big gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Please bear in mind there has been a label switch here following EMIs demise and during the switchover certain catalogue items tend to disappear and then appear again as new logos, catalogue numbers etc have to be used. With a big catalogue their can often be quite a big gap.
    Ah, that's what it is.... Finally, I've been wondering how it could disappear so quickly. Is that why they drill holes thru the bar codes ? I've noticed that a lot of the Genesis box sets that are available have been marred in this way.

No, I believe these boxes have been out of print for some years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    For heavens sake why don't they reissue the blue box set? It's obvious there's a demand. Manufacturing the package can't be all that difficult. The individual releases don't quite cut it for me, I want the full version of Beloved Summer.
    Is that an alternate title for It's Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, I had no idea these had gone out of print. Amazon marketplace sellers are asking up to $900 lol... I doubt anyone will pay that. Thankfully I ordered all five of them as they were released!
    I must have gotten mine at some sweet spot of supply and demand - I picked this up on Amazon about 7 or 8 years ago for $14.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Is that an alternate title for It's Yourself?
    Yes, it was the original working title, and sometimes appears in parentheses after "It's Yourself" on some releases. I first heard the title "Beloved Summer" (which I MUCH prefer) on the Trick outtakes boot LP (also when "Squonk" was still called "Indians".)