Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Transatlantic : Bridge Across Forever

No matter what anyone says about any specific recording, Neal Morse is an absolute master of prog compositions and elevates everything he is involved with.
    I would put him on top of the progressive world and an absolute genius of his genre. There, I said it and I don't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I think the first "instrumental bullshit" section may be the overture. That's usually my favorite part of the song - several ideas packed into a short space.
    Yep! The overture is definitely one of his trademarks and is usually pretty full of cool ideas

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    No matter what anyone says about any specific recording, Neal Morse is an absolute master of prog compositions and elevates everything he is involved with.
    I would put him on top of the progressive world and an absolute genius of his genre. There, I said it and I don't regret it.
    I know it sounds like I hate Neal, but I really do think he has written, and still does occasionally write, some of the greatest prog that has ever existed. I just think he should return to shorter songs that suit his strengths rather than endless by-the-numbers epics to satisfy those who need to have a song length pass the 20 minute mark to enjoy it. Or at least do an epic that doesn't follow such a specific formula.

Great album and Neal at the top of his game!

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    I never felt (and still don't) that his SB epics follow his formula. Maybe TGN because of the excessively long fadeout, but the other ones seem to have their own unique structure. And any song with a solo like in My Shoes Revisited or a groove like Mommy Comes Back is an awesome epic IMO. I think The Healing Colours of Sound may be my favorite Neal creation ever. So underrated! AOTA is probably very similar, but the parts were so interesting that it never felt formulaic to me.

To me the Neal-formula is:

Quiet Intro Fade
    Main Synth Theme
    Instrumental Bullshit
    Verse/Chorus
    Instrumental Bullshit
    Verse/Chorus
    Slower Instrumental Bullshit
    Bass Groove (drums have hihat/splash interplay)
    New Verse/Chorus
    Bass Groove Bullshit
    New Verse/Chorus
    Bass Groove Bullshit Builds Intensity
    Instrumental Bullshit
    Acoustic Interlude
    Reprise Main Synth Theme
    Fadeout

Rinse/repeat and interchange parts as needed.
    Very funny, and pretty accurate I started referring to the "patented Neal Morse prog formula" at the time of the "V" album, so I seem to have felt it was in place before you did. Having said that, TGN is my favorite Neal epic, and until very recently, I have never tired of his "patented Neal Morse prog formula". In other words, for me that phrase, while humorous, is said with affection and admiration. As I mentioned before though, this latest Transatlantic album has left me very cold.......though I can't blame Neal completely for that, obviously.