Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1973 Amazing Times, Amazing Music

This is what I saw in '73:
    TRAFFIC (w/JOHN MARTYN, FREE)
    FRANK ZAPPA (w/LEO KOTKE, MAHAVISHNU ORCH.)
    CAROL KING
    LED ZEPPELIN
    JETHRO TULL (Passion Play) (w/LIVINGSTON TAYLOR)
    MOODY BLUES (w/JAMES COTTON BLUES BAND)
    EMERSON,LAKE,& PALMER(BSS)(w/STRAY DOG)

Suspended
    1973 was the year I moved out of home inMelbourne, and at the end of 1973 I shifted to Perth. It was therefore a pretty significant year for me.

Music-wise, 1973 was also the year of two releases that would prove hugely popular and influential: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Perth had a fantastic independent record store called 78 Records - still going actually - that stocked all the progressive stuff that other stores hadn't even heard of, and every visit there was a journey of discovery.

Concert-wise, the main event was Elton John performing at an outdoor venue, in what I believe was only his second visit to Australia. The whole concert had an extremely laid-back and impromptu feel, quite different from his very structured polished performances later on in his career. I've seen himin concert three or four times,including the big one in 1975 at Wenbley stadium, but I think I enjoyed this concert as much as any.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Wow. I was 4 years old in 1973.

I was 20 before I saw my first real concert........Def Leppard with Queensryche opening, in 1989. Saw Rush twice in 1990, Grateful Dead twice in 1993, once in 1995. Pink Floyd twice in 1994. Metallica and Page & Plant "Unleaded" somewhere around 1995. That was pretty much it until I started hitting prog shows and fests in the 2000's (aside from local cover bands and bands my friends and I were actually in).

The simple fact was, I couldn't afford either the tickets or the travel, or both. I was far from any decent shows for college, and simply couldn't afford them for years after. You guys who were of age in the early 70's had it incredibly good.
    I was 10 and fresh arrival in Canada.... Started buying records in 74 (Crime Of The Century was my first) with my newspaper delivery route income and waited (or had to wait) until 75 to see concerts at my school... By 76, I was going to place like Massey Hall to see Rush

some days, I wish I'd been born ten years sooner to be 14 in 67 instead of in 77 (different revolutions)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by jcleary View Post
    I had a way better month of Musical Events on a trip to England in 1972!

Arrive England June 20th 1972

Genesis Flash Watford Town Hall June 28th 1972
    Flash remembers that gig. They were only 6 mos. old and it was their first with Genesis. They were playing all over England. Bassist Ray Bennett's wife, Clare, was at the gig, very pregnant, and gave birth to their first child two days later. They had to cancel several gigs because of the birth, so you were lucky they made it that night!

As you probably know, back then, bands worked their arses off playing night after night, everything was cheaper keeping costs down, and usually someone was paying salaries and operating at a loss to get things rolling for a band. It paid off in the end for backers if just one band developed into a real breadwinner while others drifted away. The system worked, provided a great variety of cheap music to be heard, and allowed bands time to grow and develop. Great times for music, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    Forty-one years ago this month I was at the following concerts:

March 2nd The Sensational Alex Harvey Band with J.S.D. Band and Glencoe
    March 6th Groundhogs 60p - £1.00
    March 21 King Crimson 60p - £1.00
    March 23rd Daryl Way’s Wolf with Jackson Heights
    March 29 Roxy Music 60p - £1.10p
    fantastic i would have seen those bands in a heart beat. love allof them.

best week for me was peter gabriels first tour, tull, zappa - tuesday, thursday, friday. year was 75 i think, maybe 76

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    best week for me was peter gabriels first tour, tull, zappa - tuesday, thursday, friday. year was 75 i think, maybe 76
    Good Lord. I hate you. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jcleary View Post

Yes recording sessions "Close To The Edge" Advision Studios 2 Times

Yes Rainbow Theater "Close To The Edge Tour" Full Dress Rehearsal with Bill Bruford He would leave Yes a few days later. July ?

Steve Howe solo with String Quartet Royal Academy London July 9th 1972
    Someone has to ask...... Yes Recording Sessions.... How?

I have a vague and distant memory (I'm not at home so cannot check my old vinyl) but was there a J Cleary listed on the sleeve notes of Yessongs? I seem to recall, because I was at school with a mate who was a Cleary and also a big Yes fan at the time, and we were kind of claiming six degrees of separation to the progressive zeitgeist

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    Gabriel's first solo tour was '77.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I spent the month of January 1969 with The Beatles at Twickenham Studios while they filmed the ill-fated "Get Back" rehearsals. I'm actually in the movie in a couple of scenes. I'm the one sitting with John wearing the Yoko Ono costume.
    Aarhhh! Are you that goddarn bitch from The Ring?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM