Thread: Alice Cooper Blu-ray/DVD recommendations

Alice Cooper Blu-ray/DVD recommendations

Been watching some vintage as well as newer Alice live footage on youtube, and am thinking about getting some of the official video releases. Quite a few of them out there-any recommendations? The Montreux set, Brutal Planet Live, and Good to See You Again Live 1973 all seem to get pretty high marks.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Brutally Live, a DVD/CD set from Hammersmith on the 2000 Brutal Planet tour, is the one I bought. Absolutely no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Brutally Live, a DVD/CD set from Hammersmith on the 2000 Brutal Planet tour, is the one I bought. Absolutely no regrets.
    Thanks! Just ordered that, as well as the Montreux set and the old Good to See You Again with the original band (just came out on Blu-ray recently)

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Thanks! Just ordered that, as well as the Montreux set and the old Good to See You Again with the original band (just came out on Blu-ray recently)

I have the Montreux DVD and it is very good. Alice always hires top notch musicians and his band on that DVD are really good.

Steve Sly

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    How do you rate the original band with blu ray?

Also, if I was just picking one blu ray, which one?

Didn't see the obvious recom of Welcome To My Nightmare film...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How do you rate the original band with blu ray?
    Haven't watched it yet-will reply with feedback as soon as I do!

Haven't watched it yet-will reply with feedback as soon as I do!
    Looking forward to hearing what you think. Not sure whether to go old or new yet.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Not sure whether to go old or new yet.
    OK, watched it last night. First, the show itself is incredible, raw, rocking, macabre early Alice Cooper band, with plenty of bizarre, shocking (at the time) theatrics. Along with the classic line-up they also had an extra guitar player (3 in total!) and keyboard player, so the sound is pretty powerful,and Alice sounds great. The live footage quality is not the best you'll see, as it's very dark at times and most of the band either aren't on camera much or shrouded in darkness, but the performance is quite good. What is kind of ridiculous is the 'storyline' part of the film, which is totally silly (Alice & the band are working on a cheesy movie, and mid way they decide to screw over the director and walk out, destroying the set in the process. The crazy German director vows revenge and follows them to their gig plotting how to destroy the Cooper gang...lame beyond belief) but thankfully with the Blu-ray you have the ability to play the concert without the silly movie parts in between. It will be interesting to watch the others I've ordered (Welcome to My Nightmare, Montreux, and Brutally Live) to compare the different eras.

It will be interesting to watch the others I've ordered (Welcome to My Nightmare, Montreux, and Brutally Live) to compare the different eras.
    Thanks for the excellent comments. I'm still on the fence, I'll pick up something but you just can't expect 2010s picture quality (a shame).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-08-2012 at 01:45 PM.

The Montreux Blu-ray is pretty amazing from a technical perspective-picture and audio are outstanding, and the set list and band performance top notch. Brutally Live is perhaps the most impressive as far as delivering Alice & Co at their most heavy rocking, and the 'theatricality' of a Cooper concert is really represented nicely on that one. Welcome to My Nightmare is also quite good, though the quality of the video is just simply OK, but the performance is a lot of fun and very threatrical. All in all, of the 4 eras that I purchased, each one does a great job and I've enjoyed them quite a bit.

It sounds close but Brutally Live might be a first step.

It sounds close but Brutally Live might be a first step.
    Yeah, I'd do that or the Montreux set. Good cross selection of classic and newer tracks on them both. I've enjoyed all 4 I picked up quite a bit!

OK, watched it last night. First, the show itself is incredible, raw, rocking, macabre early Alice Cooper band, with plenty of bizarre, shocking (at the time) theatrics. Along with the classic line-up they also had an extra guitar player (3 in total!) and keyboard player, so the sound is pretty powerful,and Alice sounds great. The live footage quality is not the best you'll see, as it's very dark at times and most of the band either aren't on camera much or shrouded in darkness, but the performance is quite good. What is kind of ridiculous is the 'storyline' part of the film, which is totally silly (Alice & the band are working on a cheesy movie, and mid way they decide to screw over the director and walk out, destroying the set in the process. The crazy German director vows revenge and follows them to their gig plotting how to destroy the Cooper gang...lame beyond belief) but thankfully with the Blu-ray you have the ability to play the concert without the silly movie parts in between. It will be interesting to watch the others I've ordered (Welcome to My Nightmare, Montreux, and Brutally Live) to compare the different eras.
    Just as a consumer note, you can also watch the concert (only) without the silly theatrical bits on the regular ol' DVD, not just the Blu-Ray. I know because I only have the regular DVD and it has both.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire