Thread: Early Genesis video (restored)

Early Genesis video (restored)

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but it's the first time I've seen this link to the early restored Genesis footage. Gabriel was truly a showman (or a flake and bake, depending on your perspective).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBc...layer_embedded

From Dangerous Minds:

"The restoration of the film of Genesis performing at Shepperton Studios in 1973 is perhaps the single most heroic episode in the history of fanatical fandom.

I might not have all the details exactly correct, but the gist of it is that about ten years ago a guy who goes by the online handle of "King Lerch" became aware of a 16mm film of of a live Genesis concert from 1973 that was being auctioned off as part of an estate sale in New York. He then noticed that a small group of Genesis fans were planning to pool their resources, rather than bid against each other and joined forces with them. No one had any idea what exactly was on the film or even what condition it was in, so by banding together, their risk was spread out, and minimized."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Very Cool! Thanks for posting BobM.

And I didn't see a single....cell phone camera!

This might just be the only early video I've ever seen of Suppers Ready, and you have to hear Gabriel's intro.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

This- whether it was restored, I don't recall- did get an official release on the long-deleted '1970-75' box, the only one of those boxes I got due to the copious extras. It's truly essential footage.

(Would that there were similar film of 'The Lamb' show...again that box did feature some 8mm snippets within a DVD.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This might just be the only early video I've ever seen of Suppers Ready, and you have to hear Gabriel's intro.
    Check out these videos from a 1974 French TV show. IMO an even better version of Supper's Ready.

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I have all of these on DVD-R and /or VCD. That Shepperton footage is cool but I really have to tweak my stereo to try and get a decent sound quality out of the footage. Maybe I should upgrade to this version, though I've watched it to death already...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Woah, that Paris 74 footage of "Supper's Ready" features Gabriel at his most uncomfortably menacing. I don't think that anyone could have accused him at that time of trying to score women through his being a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but it's the first time I've seen this link to the early restored Genesis footage. Gabriel was truly a showman (or a flake and bake, depending on your perspective).

That was a fun watch , thanks for sharing it.

Seen that movie a gazillion times, but the sound track is great. I almost suspect they flew in other sources it sounds so good.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    That was a fun watch , thanks for sharing it.
    Yeah, Gabriel is at his utmost there. It's easy to see why people were comparing them to Crimson, Bowie and Roxy -- all at the same time. Which is funny because their one differentiating quality was probably the 12-string pastoral stuff, which was easy to overlook compared to the big theatrics.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    The Genesis Museum was the first site where the Sheperton film showed up. I'm having deja-vu about this restoration story.

It's been a long, long time...hasn't it? Well, I've been busy. Since the last update 2 years ago I have transferred and edited over 50 reels of 8mm film (some of them available here) and also retransferred the famous 16mm Shepperton Studios 1973 in glorious HD, which was only in SD from my reels for the official boxed sets. I also did some work for the Rock & Roll hall of fame here in Cleveland and A&E's Genesis TV special.

I am also concentrating on other non Genesis-related projects, now that in the world of collecting, even Genesis is getting old and hard to find new things anymore. The band has been around for almost 45 years and the items worth collecting are becoming fewer and further between. But I have revamped the website and added some items I found or were contributed by generous fans such as yourself. Enjoy!

http://www.genesismuseum.com/

I am lucky to be "old" in at least this one respect. I did not see it all, but I did get to see, live, in person, some of the great moments in prog history. It's always pure pleasure to think back to those concerts when I was just a kid. I regret not getting in more trouble with my parents and sneeking off to see some of the shows I ultimately missed because I was good. Ohh well.... hind sight.....
    Today I have accumulated a great deal of musical knowledge focused on covering so much of this great material, on average, some 40-45 years old now. My generation.... (the one directly behind the musicians who wrote this music) is officially entering old fartdom. It is sad for me to see how hard it is to form a band and keep it together anymore and pay homage to this era. I think once we are gone... the generation that follows behind mine... will not have as stong a tie to this music and any chance of live covers or tributes and an audience that will patron them will prove to small to sustain itself.

If there are any musicians in upstate ny at all, interested in forming a band that covers as many of the Big names in prog we can fit into an evening. You've got a vocalist and backing guitarist, backing keyboardist right here. Get at me. I'm gettin older every other minute. I do have a good friend who is capable of the Emerson, Wakeman, Banks, Minnear patterings and general keyboard foolery. He lives a distance away, but is as interested in recreating this music as I am. The rest of the band... never could find the right combination of psychological stability, raw talent, and dogged determination to make it all work.

Thanks for the video. That was some effort to get that to sound like that. My hats off to whomever did this.
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 03-28-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

not sure everyone gets this
    amazing work for sure

"Because of the amazing video transfer, I felt that the audio was a not a good match in quality. This 16mm film uses "optical" audio, printed down the side of the film like waveforms. This is common for 16mm and fine for dialogue, but not good for music. And unfortunately, there is no great machine to get a better audio transfer, and no great audio source has been discovered even after all these years. So I decided to resync it. Of course there are stories before some songs that could not be redubbed, so they are there in their original form. But I estimate that I was able to achieve about a 90% match for the entire film."

So is our member Firth, responsible for this footage? I am not in here enough to know everyone so I am a bit uninformed.
    Either way, whomever..... Nice Job... Wow! nice Job.

There are so many lost concerts from so many great bands (I'd like to see again...) from the 60's and 70's. But due to poor quaility recording capacity and the "Why Bother" attitude that came with this, I suppose, most of this era's massive concert touring history is lost. Because of the times "available technology" and its limitations and/or the expense of hiring professsionals it is sad to think what can't be recreated. If you had a pro camera crew and some money you could get footage... (poor by todays standards) and these are primarily what remain today I would guess. 16mm was really "Pro" back then I suppose, from what little I know of the industry.

I was born in 61, the Second World War was fought around 15 years before I was born. 15 years...! In comparison; 911 was close to 15 years ago. Excellent, clear live, ameture and professional video footage makes it seem much less. Imagine shots of the planes hitting those towers was of the quaility of the 60's..or in B&W, that horrible event would seem like it was long, long ago. To me, growing up in the 60's and having "Color" television be the "new" thing... that old 8mm movie footage from that war, seemed to look so ancient... like that war was fought a hundred years before.

My Point; Today the kids who look at the prog from that early era, view it like I did that old war. Footage is grainy, and of general poor quailty, no HD there.... And the sounds are muffled and poorly recorded.. it must appear to be ten times as old as it really is. And for the digital HD kids... it must make it harder for them to listen long enough to even begin to "Get It" if you see my point? I also think some of the reason there was such an obvious generational shift in the changing styles of music popularity ... (and this was very obvious throughout the 50's 60's 70's and 80's) might, in part, be due to the changing technology not only in how people recorded live concerts but also how they played them back and shared their memories. From 8mm 16mm 35mm Film... to VIDEO Cassette... and all the while higher defenition and better quaility and smaller units, and then into digital. And also the audio recording changes from Reel to Reel and Albums to Cassette to CD to Digital. From the 90's on you can find excellent concert footage and high quaility sound capture even from the basic home movie camera's.

Now new music is always morphing and new styles and sounds... but I do not see such distinct changes in Rock like each and every decade seemed to so starkly produce back then. I wonder if it's not a great motivation factor to do better in each generation beacuse, through movies or video and the poor ability each preceding generation had to show off their creations was so poor. That's also why so many old farts like me rave about live concerts...and so many younger people only see crappy concerts, and really cheezy sounding music. Not even a hint of sub bass in the recordings. No way to tell that the drummer and bassist could rattle your bones. The video images are often dark or so out of focus you don't see the players. If it was only recorded off one stack of speakers left or right sometime the mix was a mess. Ya did not hear the Keys or the Guitar leads well. Anyway a sorry, sad way to show off your generations best work for sure. Attending a concert and experiencing it live was the ONLY way to really hear and see those great bands and all the bragging or story telling could never convince someone who was not there how amazing it was. That helped to breed a "Your music is just OLD, old man? sort of attitude. Today you can buy a DVD and watch on a 60" screen a RUSH concert recorded 5000 miles away and the quaility is as good or better than what you would hear or see if you attended. flying camera's enhanced audio... It was the other way round in the old days.

Anyway, long rant about nothing of any importance, I am sure I do not have a new thought here.
    Thanks again for posting the enhanced video. Sure wish they had the capture technology they have now, back then.
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 03-29-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, Gabriel is at his utmost there. It's easy to see why people were comparing them to Crimson, Bowie and Roxy -- all at the same time. Which is funny because their one differentiating quality was probably the 12-string pastoral stuff, which was easy to overlook compared to the big theatrics.
    Watching this show again it strikes me that Gabriel and Bowie were perhaps the strangest performers in Britain at that time. Even Gabriel's pre-song introductions are like an alien doing them!

It's just as well Gabriel was such a commanding, charismatic performer back then, as the other four just sat there in those days, bless them! But musically they were very strong, and the light show was also hugely effective.

The Bataclan footage not long before this is also nice to have, though it's a shame we only get excerpts of the songs and the interview is overdubbed with French. It's the only film of 'The Knife' though, I think, even just the 2nd half is great to see. I'm glad the Europeans filmed this stuff, there's a chance if it was done in Britain it would have been erased.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    So is our member Firth, responsible for this footage? I am not in here enough to know everyone so I am a bit uninformed.
    I cannot take credit for that work. I just quoted the author at the Genesis Museum.

I watched a bit of this over coffee this morning. Absolutely stunning. Were they ever really this young and good? It seems like a dream, something that was just too good to have really happened.

Thanks so much for posting this!

Bill

I was thinking while watching this, how ahead of their time and unique GENESIS was back in 1973. I remember that the first thing that drew me to becoming a fan was hearing a live show on WNEW FM (Christmas Charity) and how much they sounded like they did on a vinyl record... most bands sounded like a completely different band live but GENESIS amazed me.

I agree with OLD FART, once our generation is gone, I hope that some others take the torch and keep this stuff alive.

Thanks for posting,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    I was thinking while watching this, how ahead of their time and unique GENESIS was back in 1973. I remember that the first thing that drew me to becoming a fan was hearing a live show on WNEW FM (Christmas Charity)
    Jim
    Is that the show that was MC'd by a certain then news reporter, who subsequently went on to fame and fortune as a particular stupid daytime talk show host (how else do you describe someone who books a bunch of white supremacists and militant black power guys onto the same show?!).

GG...

Not sure who MC'ed, but it wasn't "The Night Bird"... could have been Richard Near or Scott Munie.... not sure whom you might be referring to?

JK

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    GG...

Not sure who MC'ed, but it wasn't "The Night Bird"... could have been Richard Near or Scott Munie.... not sure whom you might be referring to?

JK
    Geraldo