Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-singing solo artists

Jordan Rudess
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Maybe not what you're thinking about, but what about Santana or J Geils Band? I never did figure out how J Geils got to have his name in the band's name. He's not the lead singer, not a particularly impressive guitarist (well, he's not a "guitar hero" the way Santana or Beck is), and he's not even the main songwriter. I remember someone suggesting he might have been the actual owner of the band's PA or was the one who had the rehearsal space or the gig contacts or whatever, thus he gets to name the band. Or something like that.

Or maybe they thought The Wolf/Justman Blues Band (Peter Wolf being the lead singer, and he and keyboardist Seth Justman being the main songwriters) would have been too ethnic sounding or something.

Endless list - if jazz artist are allowed

Daniel Denis (Univers Zero - made 2 solo albums)
    Glenn Phillips
    Bo Hansson
    Bill Laswell
    Jannick Top
    Pierre Vervloesem

Eddie Jobson
    Steve Hackett
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

John Paul Jones
    Stomu Yamashta
    Allan Holdsworth

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Rick Wright sang on his 2 solo albums.
    Actually, now you meniton it......I just seem to remember the guest vocals being much better & his vocals sounding like some kind of rumbling on top of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Eddie Jobson
    Steve Hackett
    I always thought Jobson sang fine on the Green Album. Hackett a little less so on the albums he sang (they have similar voices) but far from the worst vocals ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Endless list - if jazz artist are allowed
    They're not allowed because rarely do they produce albums with lyrics to be sung.

Steve Hackett
    Who deos the singing on his albums then?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Actually, now you meniton it......I just seem to remember the guest vocals being much better & his vocals sounding like some kind of rumbling on top of the music.
    This first solo album he sang on half the tracks and the rest were instrumental. He sang on on a handful of tracks on Broken China too. Sinead O'Connor add vocals to two tracks. Both of these albums are underrated, I love them both. I'm always a fan Wright's vocals. YMMV.

Wish Hackett sang less...much less.

I believe his first album was instrumental, and I never followed his career after that. If I recall right wasn't his Nearfest performance also instrumental.

I believe his first album was instrumental, and I never followed his career after that. If I recall right wasn't his Nearfest performance also instrumental.
    No, his NEARfest performance most definitely was not all instrumental. He did do some instrumentals (including great renditions of Hairless Heart and the guitar solo section of Firth Of Fifth), but he also did a lot of vocal things, like Camino Royale, Serpentine Song, Vampire With An Appetite, Mechanical Bride, and I forget what else.

I believe he actually sings the lead vocals on most of his solo records, though the first few do have other people singing some of the songs, including Phil Collins on a couple songs on Voyage Of The Acolyte and also on Please Don't Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I believe he actually sings the lead vocals on most of his solo records, though the first few do have other people singing some of the songs, including Phil Collins on a couple songs on Voyage Of The Acolyte and also on Please Don't Touch.
    Hackett sang one lead vocal on each of his first three albums, but always hidden behind electronic effects or silly voices. On Voyage, the three vocal pieces are sung by Hackett, Phil Collins, and Sally Oldfield. Collins is not on Please Don't Touch; the guest singers are Steve Walsh, Richie Havens, and Randy Crawford. For the next couple of albums Hackett used Peter Hicks as lead vocalist. Only with Cured did he start doing his own lead vocals regularly.

Suspended
    Bob Dylan

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Bob Dylan

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

he he he...yea I've always had a problem with that vocal stuff Dylan does as well, 'cos it is as you say non-singing!
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-31-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Greg Howe, sometimes he sings and sometimes he doesn't.
    Danny Gatton