Thread: Don't stop Believin'.. Everymans Journey..

Don't stop Believin'.. Everymans Journey..

Guess I'm in a Netflix mood... watched this one this evening... obviously different than the Rush doc. I watched yesterday.. this one chronicles the "new" lead singer for Journey.. Arnel... Much like Rush I've never been a "huge" Journey fan... Neal Schon is one of my favorite guitarist but I could take or leave the "hits" that Steve Perry wrote..
    With that said.. interesting how they were able to win over their "hard core" fans with a new singer and toured selling out every venue... How does this differ from Yes? Good question... music is more accessible to the masses? Or are the fans of Journey more forgiving than the bulk of Yes fans? Didn't pick up that there were people overtly upset with the addition of Arnel.. granted there was "another" singer prior to him (forget his name).. maybe all the hate was directed at him for being the one who replaced Perry.. They mentioned that radio stations didn't want to play their music after Perry left.. so I guess they went through a bit of a dry period... Over all I was impressed with this film.. and equally impressed with Journey's ability to keep moving forward...

Yeah, I found this pretty heartwarming. The guy seems very genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    With that said.. interesting how they were able to win over their "hard core" fans with a new singer and toured selling out every venue... How does this differ from Yes
    Chicks. Most of their fans are chicks, not dudes.

EDIT: and big props to Arnel (?). That guy has worked his A$$ off and deserves all of the success the universe can give to him. His heart is in the right place, too.

And, they had more hits.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Kinda cynical IMHO how they play up and milk the touching, heartwarming Oprah and GMA ready story of cuddly Arnel. They're probably the highest profile group in the "legacy band with a ringer singer" craze and I suppose they do OK as long as they have that Perry era song catalog to prop them up, but they'd be cashing checks for Eagles level money with the real deal in there.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm not a huge fan of journey either, but I AM a huge fan of both Schon and Dean Castronovo. Both monsters. Neither Howe or White can play like them, So there's that. I think both have morphed into classic rock nostalgia acts, maybe yes more so, journey especially after perry left. But I think journey has pushed new work much harder than yes. It's true yes doesn't have the quantity of hits journey has/had, but they're all over the radio in classic rock waves aren't they? I don't know, that's a real question. I don't listen to radio like that. Back in the day they were on MTV just as much as journey I would think. But for me, I've seen yes recently and they were Horrible. I've never seen journey, but would just to see schon and Castronovo. And I don't read journey discussion boards either, so maybe there's just as much lamenting over the good old days with them as there are here about yes?

I'm not a huge Journey fan at all (I don't own a single album by them, but I've learned a few of their tunes which we play in my band), but this was a very nice documentary. Such a huge contrast between wide-eyed Arnel and the somewhat jaded Journey guys.
    <sig out of order>

Guess I'm in a Netflix mood... watched this one this evening... obviously different than the Rush doc. I watched yesterday.. this one chronicles the "new" lead singer for Journey.. Arnel... Much like Rush I've never been a "huge" Journey fan... Neal Schon is one of my favorite guitarist but I could take or leave the "hits" that Steve Perry wrote..
    With that said.. interesting how they were able to win over their "hard core" fans with a new singer and toured selling out every venue... How does this differ from Yes? Good question... music is more accessible to the masses? Or are the fans of Journey more forgiving than the bulk of Yes fans? Didn't pick up that there were people overtly upset with the addition of Arnel.. granted there was "another" singer prior to him (forget his name).. maybe all the hate was directed at him for being the one who replaced Perry.. They mentioned that radio stations didn't want to play their music after Perry left.. so I guess they went through a bit of a dry period... Over all I was impressed with this film.. and equally impressed with Journey's ability to keep moving forward...
    Actually Journey had two lead vocalists prior to Arnel joining. Steve Augeri was vocalist for 8 years (and several albums) and them Jeff Scott Soto for 2 years. I am not a Journey fanatic, but have a lot of their albums. There was quite a bit of backlash when Arnel joined, and there are still those Journey fans out there that pine for the return of Steve Perry (similar to Yes fans and Jon Anderson), but I think Arnel has mainly won people over simply because he is an amazing live performer. I saw Journey last year (for the first time in many years) and Arnel was incredible. His voice was flawless all night. He never stopped moving, running all over the stage for 2 hours, and there is no doubt the kid has charisma. The two albums the band have done with him are both good too with their most recent “Eclipse” ranking right up there with any of the Perry era albums IMO. I have not seen the documentary yet, but I plan on catching it sometime.

there were people overtly upset with the addition of Arnel
    There were people overtly upset with the addition of Perry too. Probably on a smaller scale though...