Thread: Styx fans -- Did You Know....

Styx fans -- Did You Know....

...they named a moon orbiting Pluto "Styx" ?? I think it's only proper that craters, mountains, whatever be named after band-members and their songs !! ---Call Neil deGrasse Tyson !

http://www.sci-news.com/space/scienc...mes-01192.html

(Hmmmmm.... Maybe I'll change my middle name to deGrasse , ala Bloomdido ! )

I assume that they named it after the boundary between Hell and Earth. I believe the River Styx is one of the so-called three rivers to cross into Hades.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I assume that they named it after the boundary between Hell and Earth. I believe the River Styx is one of the so-called three rivers to cross into Hades.
    And I assume that you're correct. The band is named after the river and it's highly likely that the moon orbiting around Pluto is as well.

Which reminds me; a couple of years back, astronomers determined that Pluto is not a planet. What's up with that?

Yes, it's ben re-classified as a dwarf planet since 2006.

From wiki:

Discovered in 1930, Pluto was originally classified as the ninth planet from the Sun. Its status as a major planet fell into question following further study of it and the outer Solar System over the ensuing 75 years. Starting in 1977 with discovery of minor planet 2060 Chiron, numerous icy objects similar to Pluto with eccentric orbits were found. The most notable of these was the scattered disc object Eris, discovered in 2005, which is 27% more massive than Pluto. The understanding that Pluto is only one of several large icy bodies in the outer Solar System prompted the International Astronomical Union (IAU) to formally define what it means to be a "planet" in 2006. This definition excluded Pluto and reclassified it as a member of the new "dwarf planet" category (and specifically as a plutoid). Some scientists hold that Pluto should have remained classified as a planet, and that other dwarf planets should be added to the roster of planets along with Pluto.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

some people call it hell. Ronmac calls it hades, mhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I actually call it Hell. I just happened to use "Hades," for some reason. Not sure what you're inferring. But, FWIW, I don't believe in it, anyway.

My guess is that its named after the mythical River Styx, which I assume the band is also named after.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    They were actually a country-western band before they turned art-pop, called Sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    They were actually a country-western band before they turned art-pop, called Sticks.
    Didn't Sticks change their name to the Stones.

I like the way you talk

Fantastic film, Trurl!

From a sciencedaily.com article:

After the discovery of the fourth and fifth moons of Pluto , the leader of the research team, Mark Showalter (SETI Institute), decided to call for a public vote to suggest names for the two objects. To be consistent with the names of the other Pluto satellites, the names had to be picked from classical mythology, in particular with reference to the underworld -- the realm where the souls of the deceased go in the afterlife. The contest concluded with the proposed names Vulcan, Cerberus and Styx ranking first, second and third respectively. Showalter submitted Vulcan and Cerberus to the IAU where the Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature and the Committee on Small Body Nomenclature discussed the names for approval.

However, the name Vulcan had already been used for a hypothetical planet between Mercury and the Sun. Although this planet was found not to exist, the term "vulcanoid" remains attached to any asteroid existing inside the orbit of Mercury, and the name Vulcan could not be accepted for one of Pluto's satellites (also, Vulcan does not fit into the underworld mythological scheme). Instead the third most popular name was chosen -- Styx, the name of the goddess who ruled over the underworld river, also called the Styx.

After a final deliberation, the IAU Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature and the IAU Committee on Small Body Nomenclature, in charge of naming dwarf planets and their systems, agreed to change Cerberus to Kerberos -- the Greek spelling of the word, to avoid confusion with an asteroid called 1865 Cerberus. According to mythology, Cerberus -- or Kerberos in Greek -- was a many-headed dog that guarded the entrance to the underworld.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    because it would technically not be Hell until Vikings came along. Hel was their goddess of the underworld. This is still reflected in the Norwegian word for Hell "Helvete".
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    because it would technically not be Hell until Vikings came along. Hel was their goddess of the underworld. This is still reflected in the Norwegian word for Hell "Helvete".
    Learn something new every day.

Who invented Heck?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Who invented Heck?
    I'm guessing Baptists.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm guessing Baptists.
    What, they were afraid of saying 'Hell' ?

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    What, they were afraid of saying 'Hell' ?
    It's just not polite! Bless your heart.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They just named another moon Supertramp.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They just named another moon Supertramp.
    and that was the crime of the century. Wocka wocka...

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    and that was the crime of the century. Wocka wocka...
    You're bloody well right, you stupid little dreamer!

You're bloody well right, you stupid little dreamer!
    wocka wocka

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From a sciencedaily.com article:

......Small Body Nomenclature......
    Sounds like a good name for a band, album, or song.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

...there are other Styx fans?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

...there are other Styx fans?
    I hear they get together in special bars... I like Styx myself but I can't go to one, someone might see me and we live in a small town.