Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I just made Invisible Touch sound MUCH better!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    You're not alone. I think if I hadn't discovered "Invisible Touch" in the eighties I never would have explored their other material and missed out on a lot.
    Exactly the same for me. Although I'd heard bits of Trick and W & W over the years and the hits on the radio, IT was the first G album I bought, and I still like most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Then one day in a record store I think I saw Nursery Cryme and was kind of taken by the cover and the whole package. Put it on and it was like: "Holy shit, this band used to be good!"
    Like I always say, "Packaging is everything."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Best Genesis cover: 1. Wind & Wuthering 2. Trick of the Tail 3. Nursery Cryme 4. Duke 5. Trespass

First time I heard a PG-led Genesis album...my reaction was....unenthusiastic. The medley on 3 Sides Live convinced me to go back and give it another go.

For my favorite covers, I'd probably go with Duke. The overall package for WCD resonates with me as well, although I can certainly appreciate that mine isn't a universal sentiment on that one. Lamb packaging is also cool. I really *wanted* to like the package for CAS, especially the darker look and color theme...but it never quite won me over (and to be fair, I *am* a fan of CAS despite it's flaws).

Can't say I love the artwork for Invisible Touch, but it does align well with the album and it's feel.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I quite like the cover of IT, my favourite cover is Duke (which is also my favourite album by them)

I got into Genesis about the time that So and IT were both out and current. My view was then that PG was really cool (initially I had no idea he used to be in Genesis) and that Genesis were really naff. My POV has changed around 180 degrees in the intervening years. PG solo is far more about atmosphere than melody, and over time So doesn't appear as interesting or innovative as it did when those sounds were new whereas IT still, although the production is very blary 80's electro-pop, has something of the essence of Genesis about it; melody and soul and interesting arrangements and musicianship.

I agree the title track and everything she does are hard on the ears of older Genesis fans and there are better tracks from the period that would have enhanced the longer term reputation of the album. The use of an electronic kit hasn't worked in its favour as you have to really listen to realise how good the drumming is (as ever) on the album.

Some Genesis fans are very particular about the period they enjoy, but these days I see a continuum through all of it, it all sounds like Genesis to me and there's always something to dig in it.
    Last edited by revporl; 03-26-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Best Genesis cover: 1. Wind & Wuthering 2. Trick of the Tail 3. Nursery Cryme 4. Duke 5. Trespass
    Yeah, to me Genesis has never had great covers, though I probably like Trespass more than the others, with W&W 2nd. Foxtrot, Selling England and Nursery Cryme are kind of cool too, but not nearly as spectacular as the music.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah, to me Genesis has never had great covers, though I probably like Trespass more than the others, with W&W 2nd. Foxtrot, Selling England and Nursery Cryme are kind of cool too, but not nearly as spectacular as the music.
    I always liked their covers with A Trick of the Tail being my fav. Trespass W&W and Selling England are also very good. Even CAS has a nice cover but by then it's CDs and not albums so the artwork is not as important anymore. The only a few like the self titled, ABACAB and 3 sides are just meh. YMMV.

I like the cover of Trespass a lot. I just love that kind of old-school art style. Trick is nice too. I'm not sure if I "like" the cover of IT, but it's very appropriate for that 80s style.
    flute juice

IT actually is a pretty meaningful cover, going with the concept of the album, which loosely seems to be about different onslaughts to the family, and with the hand and the family I thought it was kind of cool and appropriate. At least that was my take in the 80s.

Yeah...it isn't bad IMHO...just not my favorite.

Genesis artwork never quite rocked my world like the PF artwork did...Animals, WYWH, Momentary Lapse...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

So I listened to "Feeding the Fire" (cool song!) and "Do the Neurotic" and now I'm obsessing about doing my own IT re-sequence. Right now I've got a "prog[-pop] as f---" version:

Side 1:
    Land of Confusion
    Domino
    Do the Neurotic

Side 2:
    Feeding the Fire
    Tonight Tonight Tonight
    Throwing It All Away
    The Brazilian

I like it. The transition between "FtF" and "TTT" is a bit awkward, and the overall pace feels a bit plodding though, especially without the [former] title track and "ASD".
    flute juice

No, no, this is the best Genesis album cover:

Genesis_-_Live.jpg

With W&W a very close second.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Different ways.

It certainly wasn't 90125 that turned me onto Yessongs or Genesis (S/T) that turned me onto Foxtrot.
    I suppose I can credit my love of prog to 90125, because I liked it enough that I wanted to hear more from this band that was brand-new to me. I took my allowance money to the store and grabbed what LPs I could find, which were Tormato and Classic Yes. Tormato I found interesting but not great, but Classic Yes was a revelation. That sent me headlong into the world of prog. It was only after that that I started exploring other bands, like King Crimson and Genesis. I'd heard all the '80s Genesis hits on the radio, but by then I was interested in hearing their earlier material, and the first one I found was Genesis Live.

I always seemed to have a taste for "unusual" music, though, even as a kid. As I've shared on here many times, the first album I ever bought was Ummagumma, for 25 cents at a neighbor's garage sale. I didn't know the first thing about Pink Floyd or prog. I just liked the cover, the song titles, and the song lengths. That's the kind of weird kid I was. And I'm sure hearing Ummagumma primed me for the prog I'd eventually come to embrace.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I find it interesting to hear about the different ways we all delved into prog-rock. Lots of different paths to the same destination, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No, no, this is the best Genesis album cover:

Genesis_-_Live.jpg
    Oohh, good one. Always loved that one. Don't really care for that goofy font, but love the mood. Everyone sitting down all shoegazer-like, awash in blue, and Peter just standing there in some creepy costume.
    flute juice

Suspended
    My problem with the Invisible Touch album is that it has such a similar feel to their preceding album - the self-titled one sometimes referred to as "Shapes". I have Shapes,and I quite like it, but I don't put it in the same league as their 1970s albums. I could say the same about Invisible Touch. My point is, I don't love them enough to own both; one is enough. If I had to choose between them, Shapes would probably just scrape the win - mainly because of Silver Rainbow and It's Gonna Get Better, rather than the more well-known tracks.

As for album art, I love all their covers from Trespass right through to Wind and Wuthering, ATTWT and Duke were OK- nothing special; Abacab and Shapes are rather ugly; later ones aren't too bad but rather abstract and pointless. Unlike a lot of people, I like the artwork for The Lamb, especially when appreciated in conjunction with the album storyline. I can stare at those drawings and puzzle over those lyrics for hours.

^ I don't think IT sounds or feels like GENESIS(self-titled 1983) at all. Just my perception...

I actually like all the Genesis covers, Trespass, Trick, and DUKE being my favorites.

IT is definitely an evolution (or de-volution, depending on who you ask!). The proggier tracks on IT are an extension of similar tracks on the s/t (Mama -> TTT, HBTS -> Domino/DTN).
    flute juice