Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Albert Marcoeur

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hi Alberto - Yes absolutely - those are extremely lovely albums as well, and I also really dig L'Apostrophe from his more recent output. I personally still love the first four maybe just a wee bit more than those latter albums, but anything and everything this genius made is absolutely worth investigating. The actual production on those albums is just stunning - I listened to the first two yesterday and Album a Colorier, besides being an amazing album, just *sounds* fantastic. There are some lone percussion hits that just filled up my entire living room like the musicians are there. I have been eyeing vinyl copies from Discogs and they certainly ain't cheap. I would flip out if Sean did one of his SOAL interviews with Albert - although he may need a translator for that to happen, yeah?
    Frankie, if you read French I'd recommend his book, "Mais Monsieur Marcoeur..." Not exactly a bio, more an account of his difficulties with SACEN in France, but still a highly enjoyable read. He is a very good writer, and the book is full of cool illustrations.

I've just remembered that I have also had his dvd Bus 24 for a while, but never managed to see it. Must fix it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Frankie, if you read French I'd recommend his book, "Mais Monsieur Marcoeur..." Not exactly a bio, more an account of his difficulties with SACEN in France, but still a highly enjoyable read. He is a very good writer, and the book is full of cool illustrations.

I've just remembered that I have also had his dvd Bus 24 for a while, but never managed to see it. Must fix it soon.
    I have the book (twice actually, one that I bought and one that AM sent me! ) but alas I don`t know french...
    The DVD is a bit disappointing, its just a very short (and cute) film with an AM sample in it, not something that didn't come out elsewhere.

Thanks Frank, Mike, Richard, Zapp, Alan, Conti, and everyone else.

I found a copy of the 2-disc compilation on Discogs and ordered it just a few minutes ago. Not a bad price, considering it's four albums worth of music. Once it gets here, I'll give it a listen from start to finish and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I found a copy of the 2-disc compilation on Discogs and ordered it just a few minutes ago. Not a bad price, considering it's four albums worth of music. Once it gets here, I'll give it a listen from start to finish and see what happens.
    I have also this compilation , it is oop and great !!!
    " je m'amuse à vieillir , c'est une occupation de tous les instants " Paul Léautaud

Congrats Tyler!

And man you guys have some explaining to do if he doesn't like this stuff.........I tried warning him.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I am surprised no one mentioned the exquisite Deux Lions Au Soleil

And man you guys have some explaining to do if he doesn't like this stuff.........I tried warning him.

True, you did try warning me... But I'm prepared to give this music multiple listens, even if it doesn't gel at first. It took me some time to come around to "Facelift" on Soft Machine's Third, and I really like it now. I trust you guys enough to know that this will be good stuff.

At first I thought about getting the mini-LP reissues by Belle Antique, since they're usually really high quality. Pricey, but those sleeves are really nice.

Well, gents -- that 2-disc set finally arrived! I listened to the first album in a single sitting this evening (i.e. the first half of disc 1), and it was definitely interesting. It's going to take me some more time to come to grips with everything that's going on there. That's not a bad thing though. There is some serious sonic sculpting going on with this record. I can't even imagine what kind of work must have gone into composing and arranging this music!

Starting on Album a Colorier next.

Well, gents -- that 2-disc set finally arrived! I listened to the first album in a single sitting this evening (i.e. the first half of disc 1), and it was definitely interesting. It's going to take me some more time to come to grips with everything that's going on there. That's not a bad thing though. There is some serious sonic sculpting going on with this record. I can't even imagine what kind of work must have gone into composing and arranging this music!

Starting on Album a Colorier next.
    Glad you are taking the plunge Tyler! You're a good man with an open mind

The point you touched on about the 'serious sonic sculpting' is one of the greatest aspects of AM's music. He truly is a sound sculptor, and isn't afraid to use alarm clocks, car horns, farts, squeaks, etc etc but there is also his incredible way with melodies that stick with you (not unlike Tim Smith in that respect...earworms that reveal over repeated listens) and super inventive harmonic progressions and forms. We (non French-speaking humans) are completely missing the lyrical content, which apparently is quite humorous, but that's perfectly OK - the complete package is more than worthy to enjoy regardless. If you read Steve F's description at the Wayside site - he was/is a very slow worker taking great care to get all of this amazing detail into his music.

There are some artists/bands/composers that are in my collection that maybe I don't fully grasp what's going on 100%, but I know that the music contained therein is some of the most inventive, creative, challenging music that I own - and AM certainly belongs on that list for me, and near the top!

Enjoy man, and please keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I am surprised no one mentioned the exquisite Deux Lions Au Soleil

Yes, its quite good, and there is no difficult lyrics in french - alas in mono. It was released as a cassette tape with This Heat/Mario Boyer Diekuuroh on the B-side.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/26241...oyer-Diekuuroh

I think its the music to this film.https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080619/
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 08-21-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Is that cassette only?

Is that cassette only?
    As far as I know, and only in mono. I have them also as mp3 (if you want them), but the sound is what it is.

My notes from the tape:

01 This Heat with Mario Boyer Diekuuroh - Various Cassette Recordings 1977-78
    02-06 Albert Marcoeur - Deux Lions Au soleil

Tago Mago
    Catalog#: Tago Mago 4753
    Format: Cassette
    Released: 1982
    Genre: Electronic
    Style: Abstract, Future Jazz, Experimental
    Notes: Albert Marcoeur Side:
    "Deux Lions Au Soleil" Extraits de la musique du film de Claude Faraldo, enregistrée à Hérouville (novembre et décembre 1979) par Laurent Thibault. (Mono recordings)

This Heat with Mario Boyer Diekuuroh Side:
    Various cassette recordings, 1977-78.
    Camberwell, Cold Storage, and live.
    (Stereo recordings)

Limited edition of 1500 copies.
    Cassette with booklet in plastic bag.

Is that cassette only?
    Yes. It was cassette only.
    When Albert first went online and you could buy his releases from his site, some of this cassette release (and some other stuff) was available as bonus material on the first four albums.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Its [the film soundtrack] also very short (about 12-15 minutes, iirc)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I really liked his last project 'Bert Begar' a duo with the guitarist Eric Thomas, more "musical" then his project with the Quatuor Bela with a quirky Trout Mask Replica side. I saw them in concert last october and hope they will release a record.

If I could be reincarnated as any piece of music, it would be as the ‘riff’ at the end of Non Long from Celui où y'a Joseph

Dear Lord, about as good as it gets, and I don’t just mean music, I mean all of mankind’s achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    If I could be reincarnated as any piece of music, it would be as the ‘riff’ at the end of Non Long from Celui où y'a Joseph

Dear Lord, about as good as it gets, and I don’t just mean music, I mean all of mankind’s achievements.
    I had to go back to hear what that was....but yeah....so great it's ridiculous. I listened to Joseph for the past few days, and especially with the 1st four, but each time I live with an album of his it becomes a new AM favorite. Joseph is just phenomenal. Hope you're doing well Sir Kavus btw - sending my best in your general direction man.

I haven't forgotten about Marcoeur; just a few days ago I listened to Armes & cycles all the way through. I've been taking it slow with this music, contrary to my initial plan, in order to let it sink in more before moving on to the next album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post

Now I'm really going to be paying attention for this riff when I hear that song.

Now I'm really going to be paying attention for this riff when I hear that song.
    "ehhhhhhhh.......Albert's got better riffs than that one", said the know-it-all.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I haven't forgotten about Marcoeur; just a few days ago I listened to Armes & cycles all the way through. I've been taking it slow with this music, contrary to my initial plan, in order to let it sink in more before moving on to the next album.
    Glad to hear you're still in

Regardless of whether you end up liking or loving this music (or disliking I guess), you have to admit that this music is an 11/10 on the originality/creativity scale eh? Keep us posted on new discoveries.

Let's not forget how (sometimes) melancholy and beautifully melodic his stuff can be, eccentric and intricate notwithstanding.

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-18-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Glad to hear you're still in

Regardless of whether you end up liking or loving this music (or disliking I guess), you have to admit that this music is an 11/10 on the originality/creativity scale eh? Keep us posted on new discoveries.
    Well, I haven't found myself disliking any of it. Even if I haven't grasped it yet, I appreciate the craft that went into this music. Like you said, it scores an 11/10 on creativity. The fact that it's stretching my brain into some new directions actually makes me pretty happy, because I like to get outside of my musical comfort zone sometimes. If all these years I'd stayed listening to just stuff like R.E.M. and Phil Collins (who I still love though), life would have been a lot less interesting.

I'll probably never come around to country music, but such is life.

(Actually, I really like Dwight Yoakam! But I guess he's more rockabilly than country, maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Let's not forget how (sometimes) melancholy and beautifully melodic his stuff can be, eccentric and intricate notwithstanding.

Oh yeah. That track was one of my favorites upon first couple of listens. Quite moody.

Album a Colorier is probably my favorite of the first three I've listened to so far.

Oh yeah. That track was one of my favorites upon first couple of listens. Quite moody.

Album a Colorier is probably my favorite of the first three I've listened to so far.
    Beautiful track. No idea what its about either. Tyler - these tunes will pop in your head if you listen to them enough. There is a ton of melodicism involved, it's just sometimes disguised by all of the (creative) eccentricities he uses in his sonic palette. Albert is the best.

Has this been posted here ?

Last edited by Udi Koomran; 03-09-2021 at 08:57 AM.