Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Marcoeur

Yeah I had the pleasure of putting this on the car stereo on a trip i did recently and it was a joy to revisit this
    Frankie I hope you are not listening to the "remastered" version that albert did ...
    Baillemont version is the only way to listen to this
    or vinyl

chalkpie
    Yeah its the remaster versions usually. I have vinyl rips but they are pretty scratchy and don't seem to be the best transfers. Its either terrible, shrilly remasters or dull, scratchy vinyl rips. What is the Baillemont version? A dream of mine would be for you to remaster at least the first four albums properly and be done with it. These gems deserve that.

Listening to these again -Claude Marcoeur ! he has that great what a great feel and touch much like Guigou Cutler etc.

So, where would you recommend a newbie start on this guy? The first one?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    So, where would you recommend a newbie start on this guy? The first one?
    I would say so. I adore the first four albums, and I think the first is a great place to start. Make it your business to get acquainted with this music - he is extremely special; a brilliant musician/composer.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I would say so. I adore the first four albums, and I think the first is a great place to start. Make it your business to get acquainted with this music - he is extremely special; a brilliant musician/composer.
    If I go broke, I'm going to blame this forum. :P

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Another newbie here, off to explore
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Buy the 1st four, conventiently released in alphabetical order, in alphabetical order.
    Albert Marcoeur
    Album A Colorier
    Arms et Cycles
    Celiu ou y'a Joseph
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

How great is this track? Listen to the amount of detail with the brass/etc etc towards the end with that great lively groove - that is just brilliant and exciting arranging - a feast for the ears and mind - all of those textures and timbres getting thrown your way, but with a groove to die for going on too. Love this guy so much.
    This was the first track I ever heard from Marcoeur back in 1978. John Peel played it on his radio show just the once, followed by a different track from the same album a few nights later. I duly wrote his name down and went looking for it, without success. I used to carry a little piece of paper in my wallet with all the obscure artists I was looking for and I'd go hunting whenever I was in a different record shop. On this list was the name 'Univers Zero' another band I'd heard only one track by (again on John Peel) but again, once was enough to make my ears prick up and think 'I've got to get this'. A few months later, the Melody Maker music paper printed a review of Albert Marcoeur and gave the address of the newly opened Recommended Records. I wrote to them and got their first catalogue -it contained Albert Marcoeur and Univers Zero! A few weeks later a parcel with the first albums by both of these arrived and a whole new avenue in my musical life opened up.
    Last edited by alanterrill; 07-19-2015 at 12:47 PM.

chalkpie
    ^ That's a great story.

^ That's a great story.
    Yes. A shame it's filled with lies and falsehoods!

[just kidding - yes a nice story!]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

https://youtu.be/MiksR3J84Ks
    Albert's description so much i thought I share it with you
    Albert on recording te intro to this song
    "To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
    sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
    once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and more fun. The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
    in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
    Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five "vehiclists" started their instruments.
    As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
    get the crescendos in the right places. After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
    Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
    Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
    at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
    fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
    had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."

^ They couldn't breathe, so they took a cigarette break. God bless the French!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ They couldn't breathe, so they took a cigarette break. God bless the French!

They certainly have their priorities set!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Wasn't there even a picture of that car recording event? I seem to remember seeing one... Anyway, priceless story which is probably as close to a "known" anecdote as you'll ever get with the Marcoeurs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It was a happy day when I realized how many little gems like that car story were lurking at marcoeur.com - Google translate helped a lot.

How great is this track? Listen to the amount of detail with the brass/etc etc towards the end with that great lively groove - that is just brilliant and exciting arranging - a feast for the ears and mind - all of those textures and timbres getting thrown your way, but with a groove to die for going on too. Love this guy so much.
    Also -has anyone else noticed how a part of this is used in Pocket Orchestra's 'Imam Rialdi'? Have a listen at around the 5.20 mark :

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    It was a happy day when I realized how many little gems like that car story were lurking at marcoeur.com
    That's where the pic's at, I think. In a sense I also think this exact story is one of the reasons why I still have Album a Colorier as my fave Marcoeur record (in competition with the third one); to have THIS as your album's opening sequence - somehow I can't see that beat anytime soon. Man, they knew how to kickoff records back then; Black Sabbath s/t, Soft Machine's Third, Trout Mask etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok, bought the debut, let the exploration begin
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Big fan of Albert Marcoeur, I knew his records for some time and about 4 years ago I saw him for the first time on stage in Paris and since then I try to see him whenever possible. For the last years he toured with the Quatuor Bela, a show named : Si oui, oui. Sinon non. The title gives already a good idea of his word games. There are a lot of puns in his textes/lyrics sometimes more recited then sung. Btw during the concert he sits at a table surrounded by the musicians more like a litterary reading and his last edited work is a book : Mais Monsieur Marcoeur.... I read somewhere that he was also going on tour again with former Débile Menthol guitarists Cédric Vuille and Jean Huguenin.

This is an extract from a concert last year during the Sonic Protest festival in Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSdHfSu7k8
    Last edited by alucard; 07-20-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post

This is an extract from a concert last year during the Sonic Protest festival in Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSdHfSu7k8
    Sometimes, I wished I lived in Paris
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Reminds me of a Keneally quote about how people will go for any weird music as long as there's a good groove underneath. I love the main riff of this song and how it's made up of several different instruments playing one after another.

Been working on this stuff over the last few days. I grabbed the big four after really enjoying the first, but I'm taking the time to absorb these, so I've been focusing on the first and second. Great stuff. Totally wild, dense arrangements of really fun songs. Perfect mix of accessibly catchy (though in a very creative way), and RIO-style challenging. The first is probably my favorite so far (great cover too), but I do like the slightly more expansive, varied tone of Album a Colorier. Really wish I understood what the guy was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Really wish I understood what the guy was saying.
    I know we non french speaking folks are missing an entire dimension and enjoying only a part of his charm and genius

I re-read this entire thread. Some great discussion on this bloke. Listening to Joseph right now in bed in my underwear. Sorry for the image. Barf bags not included.