Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Marcoeur

I must've accidently unsubscriged myself from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Celui Ou Y'a Joseph - his acknowledged (by me and U Totem) masterpiece.

Also - his lyrics are very funny and clever - I had a fluent pal translate Celui for me and I was pretty amazed at the wordplay.

Yeah. Certified genius.
    Josepf is my second fave next to his debut

As for his non-sensical lyrics are an acquired tastes, even for a francophone, IMHO

But I like them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

chalkpie
    Still doing the Canterbury binge, but I am managing to sneak in some Marcoeur. I am doing at least the first four LP's, possibly more. God, I pretty much have no higher praise for any musician/composer.

If you do a needle drop at any point on any tune, you will be immediately sucked in to his sound world like an industrial-powered Hoover, which frankly is unsurpassed in so many ways (his music, not the vacuum cleaner). His arranging/orchestration skills are just insanely brilliant - there is always some interesting groove, melody/counterpoint, texture, arrangement, sound FX, mood, weird but wonderful vocals happening. Also, this music is SO detailed, multiple spins reveal new ideas, sounds, parts, you name it. In this case, I place him alongside some of the greatest classical composers who work in this manner, and have spent their entire life honing their craft. This guy has a real gift.

Its impossible to find any favorite tracks as they are all pretty and utterly wonderful, but "Elle etait belle" from Album a Colorier is astounding.

This guy is the FUCKING BEST!!!!!!!!

Love him!!

I love this guy also.

I think it's time for an Albert binge!

Thanx for sharing
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I too love him.

I love him too,
    Got to see him with Bela quartet a year ago-
    He seemed genuinely moved to hear that I flew to france especially to see him, and was very nice in general-
    Apparently he has a very "french" following, though not as much as I would have expected- the venue was a small room with about mabe 50 seats, all occupied by french people with me being the only "foreign".
    If there is an artist that I think is criminally underated, it is him.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Apparently he has a very "french" following, though not as much as I would have expected- the venue was a small room with about mabe 50 seats, all occupied by french people with me being the only "foreign". If there is an artist that I think is criminally underated, it is him.
    I would agree.

I spoke to a Frenchman many years ago (sometimes in the early 90s right after I'd discovered stuff like Aqsak Maboul etc.) who kept talking about him and said that "there are so-called 'artist's artists' - but Marcoeur is a 'cult artist's cult artist'...". And in a way I can see what he meant.

I think his biggest trick is to render these extreme intricacies a sense of "organic" appearance; he really makes it all sound like the only 'natural' music for him to be creating.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A lot of times when people describe Frank Zappa it seems to me like they are *really* describing this guy
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

It is unfortunate that I so often see him referred to as "the French Zappa". It really is a lazy description that ignores his uniqueness and is entirely too dismissive.

True genius. Interestingly, when in France in 2006 and 2014 to attend Magma gigs at Le Triton I chatted to many Frech Magma lovers who seemed to either ignore or dislike Marcoeur's music. I don't know if this can be generalized, but I genuinely observed it.

^ ^ ^ ^

Magma is not very similar to Marcouer besides the obvious complexity, so the fact that someone likes Magma wouldn't make me think that they would necessarily like Albert.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

You're right Steve, not musical similarities at all between Magma and Marcoeur. It's just a shame that a truly unique artist like Marcoeur fails to attract potentially interested followers even in his country. That was my point.

I have to admit that I own a Marcoeur LP for about 20 years (the one flytomars uses as Avatar, which I think is the first), that I played
    once for about 3 min. and than never touched again.

Looks like I didn't like it back then

So I will give it a spin now....

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    So I will give it a spin now...
    Believe me; you really should!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ ^ ^ ^

Magma is not very similar to Marcouer besides the obvious complexity
    And, interestingly, both display a very personal/individual sense of complexity which seems to escape many a "traditional" "prog-listener". There was never (or very rarely) anything "exhibitionist" tendency with how these two acts executed difficulty in their musical craft.

But yes - VERY divergent expressions indeed!

chalkpie
    Re: Marcouer being hailed as the French "Frank Zappa", yeah its a bit silly, but it could be a whole lot worse, yeah? Like maybe being called the French "Don Henley" or something...,.

Re: Magma fans not digging AM - too bad - their loss in a huge way.

You guys should revisit Armes & Cycles, well the whole thing really, but especially for tracks 3 and 4:

Track 3 "La dame qui est assise à côté de moi" has one of the hippest and coolest 4/4 grooves I have ever heard - the spot where AM displaces the snare and bass drum along with the electric bass - you'll know the part when you hear it. Just amazing.

Track 4 "Linge Sale" just kicks into the funkiest little groove this side of the French alps, man just beautiful!

Two little gems in an ocean of diamonds. God that sounded corny and even made my own stomach turn a little

TheH: I hope you get on board brother, or at the very least begin to recognize that this guy is the true genius that we keep blabbing on about here. Aside from the vocals (which would seem to be the most challenging part of his music - and I personally love), I can't see what there is not to love here.

chalkpie
    Tim Smith is God - sorry just had to blurt that out.

As someone who has recently recovered his confidence in reading in French after devouring Aymeric's "Rock Progressif", I've recently ordered Marcoeur's book/biography from his website. Has anyone read it yet? Mine is on the way.

I think the Zappa comparisons only work for some FZ discs, mostly the fusiony ones that people tend to say are his best (Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie Sandwich). I'm referring mostly to the way a lot of fans talk about Zappa, particularly his odd sense of rhythm or tendency to play a bunch of time signatures against each other or do crazy things in 5-second pockets that would just blow by most fans - yes Zappa does this stuff sometimes, Marcoeur seems to do it all the time. Also Marcoeur's albums tend to be short and only come out every 5 years or so, which IMO is the big difference and why the AM albums tend to hold up over so many more listens.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    True genius. Interestingly, when in France in 2006 and 2014 to attend Magma gigs at Le Triton I chatted to many Frech Magma lovers who seemed to either ignore or dislike Marcoeur's music. I don't know if this can be generalized, but I genuinely observed it.
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Magma is not very similar to Marcouer besides the obvious complexity, so the fact that someone likes Magma wouldn't make me think that they would necessarily like Albert.
    Indeed, I'd tend to think that Magma's music is almost top 40 pop compared to Marcoeur's music (despite a certain momentaneous accessibility in Marcoeur's songs)

This said, Magma's loyal french fanship seems to be notoriously mono-interested and relatively intolerant of other bands on the bill ... At least that's a reputation that seems to pop around here and there, but having seen Magma anywhere between 10 to 15 times (I stop counting after 5), I can't say that I've witnessed any bad or unrespectful fan behaviour
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    being called the French "Don Henley" or something...
    Around these parts, Richard Pinhas is often namechecked as "the French Barry Manilow".

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Around these parts, Richard Pinhas is often namechecked as "the French Barry Manilow".
    lmao.gif

Good ol'Ben lives up to his avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    As someone who has recently recovered his confidence in reading in French after devouring Aymeric's "Rock Progressif", I've recently ordered Marcoeur's book/biography from his website. Has anyone read it yet? Mine is on the way.
    I have the book but alas, no french
    I am not sure its an autobiography?
    Seems like random musings followed by silly graphics curtesy of Plonk Replonk.
    The book itself is quite thin in size, so a biography is out of the question (heck, just the stories of some of the recording sessions from his website could fill a bigger book)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

chalkpie
    'Joseph' is amazing. Such intricate and beautiful detail, and he lets the tunes really develop, even in the span of just a few minutes.

There is also nary an "80's" to be found on that record - he should win a trophy for that alone. Maybe the Real Frank Zappa could have taken a production tip or two from the French Frank Zappa