Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rush news- W-w-WAIT a minute! :)

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ridiculous! a 41st Anniversary tour? anything to get out of recording a new CD.
    Lemme see if I follow your logic…a bunch of 60+ year-old men are going to shirk some sort of imaginary responsibility to record another album by leaving their homes, friends and families for months at a time to live on buses and tour the world?

That rascally Alex - getting everyone to keep talking about Rush during their time off!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Lemme see if I follow your logic…a bunch of 60+ year-old men are going to shirk some sort of imaginary responsibility to record another album by leaving their homes, friends and families for months at a time to live on buses and tour the world?

was BravadoNJ kidding??

I think that they're following the Iron Maiden touring model: a tour dedicated to promoting and playing their new LP project followed by another tour that's more or less a retro tour. after all this isn't a band who's on the year to year LP/tour/LP/tour/LP/tour grind this late into the game. they can do whatever the fuck they want at this point

I love this set-up personally

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I think that they're following the Iron Maiden touring model: a tour dedicated to promoting and playing their new LP project followed by another tour that's more or less a retro tour. after all this isn't a band who's on the year to year LP/tour/LP/tour/LP/tour grind this late into the game. they can do whatever the fuck they want at this point
    I think this has pretty much been their mode ever since Neil's return and Vapour Trails. It seems to work cuz they pretty much sell out arenas on every tour.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Alex trolling Rush fans again. We always fall for the "more obscure corners of their catalog" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    Alex trolling Rush fans again. We always fall for the "more obscure corners of their catalog" comment.

I think they're doing a little bit better than you suggest. depends on what era(s) you want, but they've done a little bit to give us some oddballs since they went to 'An Evening With Rush':

By-Tor > Cygnus
    Circumstances
    Entre Nous
    R30 Medley Fanfare
    Natural Science
    2112 on the TfE tour

Mission
    Presto
    Body Electric
    Grand Designs
    Middletown Dreams
    Territories
    Analog Kid
    Digital Man

I totally agree that them not doing Losing It on the CA tour was a missed opportunity. I'd love to know if it came up at all in the set-list talks

I'm not sure how to describe his singing, but it almost sounds like a crying woman.
    Or a whimpering puppy .

Geddy's singing has really gotten hard to listen to.

I'd love to hear A Farewell to Kings live along with a full 2112. In fact, any of 2112 would be good, I've only seen them once and they didn't play it!! I wonder if people would go crazy if they did a Yes style Masterworks tour? (ducks the Yes fans throwing things) What I mean is 2112, Fountain of Lamneth, Cygnus/Hemispheres.....only an hour and ten!!

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I wish I could take a year off. Man, I'd be FULL of ideas!
    Yeah, I have trouble getting 2 days off in a row. No doubt there will be a dvd of this tour also. I'd rather they take the time to do another studio recording. but then I may be in the minority on that one.

No way could I listen to Geddy sing 2112 these days. There is plenty of music in their catalog that still suits him well, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Here's the rumoured setlist for the 41st. anniversary tour (from a very good source):

Making Memories
    Something For Nothing
    Garden Road
    Here Again
    Cinderella Man
    Hemispheres III. Dionysus (Bringer of Love)
    What You're Doing
    Didacts And Narpets (Vocals: Peart/Lee)
    Madrigal/I Think I'm Going Bald ('unplugged')
    Cygnus X-1
    The Necromancer
    Finding My Way/Working Man/2112 Grande Finale

Encore:

Roll The Bones
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I haven't seen Rush in 30 years but I'd go if that were the set.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I haven't seen Rush in 30 years but I'd go if that were the set.
    Would you stay for the encore?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes, I like that song!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yes, I like that song!
    I kid. I actually don't mind it. In the entire Rush catalogue, there's probably five tracks I don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Here's the rumoured setlist for the 41st. anniversary tour (from a very good source):
    Yeah, fine. No "Fancy Dancer." See if I go then.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm listening to 2112 in a bar right now. The entire, effing twenty minute suite.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah, fine. No "Fancy Dancer." See if I go then.
    I love that tune.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I wish I could take a year off. Man, I'd be FULL of ideas!
    I think I could pull it off. Just stop eating, no money for the ex, paying rent, insurances, gas, taxes ...
    Thanks, and I'll come up with a ton of GREAT IDEAS too!

Great ideas are one thing. Making them work is another.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Great ideas are one thing. Making them work is another.
    Money, money and more money.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Money, money and more money.

Regards,
    Jon
    It takes more than money to make ideas happen. It's a matter of time, talent and execution more than anything. I run into the same thing in my business. (I do graphic design, among other things.) I've had plenty of ideas that I thought were quite good, but couldn't execute them well enough. But, more often than not, they lead to better ideas. That's where the time issue comes into play. Without enough time, great ideas are abandoned when something better could easily be right around the corner.

I'd be SO into a "Deep Cuts Tour". There's at least a set (half a show) full of great Rush songs from the 80's-00's never played like:

OPEN SECRETS
    AVAILABLE LIGHT
    HERESY
    TOTEM
    ALIEN SHORE
    CHAIN LIGHTING
    LOSING IT
    DIFFERENT STRINGS
    FREEZE

and then some others not played very often beyond that

Set Two? Maybe another full album sort of thing? PERMANENT WAVES maybe?
    Last edited by 3RDegree_Robert; 03-25-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm listening to 2112 in a bar right now. The entire, effing twenty minute suite.
    People like us are the worst nightmares for well-meaning barkeeps who bought subscriptions to those newfangled on-line jukeboxes.

I'm a fan of playing long '70s Miles Davis tracks when I shoot pool at a couple of my regular places. Only when there aren't many people in the bars, though. I'd never do this at night or any time it was crowded. The bartenders usually make the machine skip past a track if it's going on too long - at peak times, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    No way could I listen to Geddy sing 2112 these days. There is plenty of music in their catalog that still suits him well, though.
    Agreed. I love these guys but hearing Geddy sing the old stuff just makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart