Thread: Moers festival - anyone going?

Moers festival - anyone going?

Im not even sure I am in the right forum- is this off-topic or on-topic (or neither)?
    This year has several acts I am really looking forward to seeing:
    Highlights for me -
    Fred Frith doing Gravity in its entirety!
    Marc Ribot - protest songs- am a big fan of him
    Han Bennink & Oscar Jan Hoogland - am a big fan of Bennink, this looks promising
    Paal Nilssen-Love “Large Unit“ - great drummer with great mind, in avant-big-band settings
    Julia Hülsmann with Theo Bleckmann, Hayden Chisholm - Only know Theo, but this looks good
    Jaki Liebezeit & Marcus Schmickler - didnt know this legendary drummer is still performing, wonder whats he like these days
    Arto Lindsay and Paal Nilssen - Finally get a chance to see Lindsay, love him since his DNA days to his avant pop outings.

And 2 bands I already saw but have no problem seeing again and again: Sun Ra Arkestra and Avi Lebovich orchestra.
    All in all looks like a killer program, very dense and I did not even mention all the acts...

*BUMP* so many good bands, some were discussed here in the past, and no one is going?...
    At least tell me if I am asking in the right forum

Not to many Germans around here, and those interested in this kind of music who come from other countries
    most likley wouldn't travel that far without a number of bigger names in the line up.

Maybe I will go there if I can find the time for it...

Great fest, great music, but also a great expense I can not afford.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Not to many Germans around here, and those interested in this kind of music who come from other countries
    most likley wouldn't travel that far without a number of bigger names in the line up.

Maybe I will go there if I can find the time for it...
    Well, I have seen almost all of RIO festivals in Carmoux (at great expense), but this year I am giving up on RIO for this one.
    I wonder what is considered "big names" in this specific genre (avant jazz?), I am really asking, not being cynical...

PS I see a cuneiform band is also there - Ideal Bread- am listening now to camples in youtube, this sounds great! I should make some homework before I go

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Well, I have seen almost all of RIO festivals in Carmoux (at great expense), but this year I am giving up on RIO for this one.
    I wonder what is considered "big names" in this specific genre (avant jazz?), I am really asking, not being cynical...

PS I see a cuneiform band is also there - Ideal Bread- am listening now to camples in youtube, this sounds great! I should make some homework before I go
    Maybe I didn't find the right words, personally I would have liked one or two bands more that I'm acustomed to.
    This is on the very border of my circle of interest and I know only 3 of the artists palying at the festival.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a wonderfull event with lots of good music to discover. And I don't have any excuse not
    to go there as I live only 75 minutes (by car) from Moers.

Still I don't feel any irresitable force pulling me to it, and I think it will be even harder for people who have to go greater distances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Still I don't feel any irresitable force pulling me to it, and I think it will be even harder for people who have to go greater distances.
    It's one of (if not the) the biggest jazz fests in Germany.

As you say, it's on the border of your circle of interest; that's why you don't find it very compelling. If this music is your circle of interest, you would not need to be convinced to go...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's one of (if not the) the biggest jazz fests in Germany.
    If this music is your circle of interest, you would not need to be convinced to go...
    True, I guess this is my situation
    I am flying from a different continent to see it, and giving up on the RIO fest this year so it better be worth it...
    I had some more questions for people who went to past Moers festivals but since apparently there are none, mabe someone else could answer-
    How long are the shows, usually?
    Is it in a hall or outdoors?
    Seated or standing up?
    Is there something else to do in this town? (Tripadvisor had no suggestions whatsoever... This place looks like one of the most boring in the world )

Maybe the offical Website will be of help (fully translated in english)

http://www.moers-festival.de/?L=1

Haven't been in Moers for Ages. But I remember the old town to be rather nice and they have a small Castle (not really impressive).
    Moers is a rather small town with about 100.000 inhabitans I guess.

It's the west end of the Ruhrgebiet (the most densly populated area in Germany) so there is a lot of industial culture sites nearby.
    The Netherlands are very near to the east and Düsseldorf to the south.

All depends on how mobile you are, Northrine Westfalia is the area with the most water castles (and castles in generall) in all europe.
    These might be not the best kown or most famous but very nive and interresing ones.

Hi TheH, thanks for the reply!
    I am going to land in Dusseldorf, and not be very mobile (rely mostly on trains...)
    I have a dilema- I dont know if I should spend the first day in Dusseldorf or head straight to Moers and then I will stay overnight in Moers and have until 19:00 to travel in Moers...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Hi TheH, thanks for the reply!
    I am going to land in Dusseldorf, and not be very mobile (rely mostly on trains...)
    I have a dilema- I dont know if I should spend the first day in Dusseldorf or head straight to Moers and then I will stay overnight in Moers and have until 19:00 to travel in Moers...
    If the weather is fine stay in Düsseldorf and have a drink at the river Rhine banks, there is also an incredible number of bars and restaurants in the old town.
    Düsseldorf is a great place to go out at night and have a good Alt Bier (or two).

The usual street party at the Ratinger Str. in Düsseldorfs Altstadt (old town).
    If the weather is good it is like that the whole summer.

OK, convinced me, I will try and change my Moers room reservations