Thread: music cruises

music cruises

I just saw an 'ad' on YT with Mike Portnoy talking about the PNAS cruise/event. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mpqzNnLZKc It's not the first time I've heard of a music cruise, but it's the first time I've heard of a prog-rock/metal cruise. The first band in my orbit to do a music cruise was Los Straitjackets in, I think, 2002. Anybody know of other rock music-oriented cruises? I'm curious to know who who did the first one, if not Los Straitjackets.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I just saw an 'ad' on YT with Mike Portnoy talking about the PNAS cruise/event. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mpqzNnLZKc It's not the first time I've heard of a music cruise, but it's the first time I've heard of a prog-rock/metal cruise. The first band in my orbit to do a music cruise was Los Straitjackets in, I think, 2002. Anybody know of other rock music-oriented cruises? I'm curious to know who who did the first one, if not Los Straitjackets.
    There are dozens of them now. I'm surprised that you haven't seen the discussions here about Portnoy's cruise as well as Yes' Cruise to the Edge. The Moody Blues also have one, and there are many others, with varying themes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Years ago, a friend told me of his trip on the JamCruise to see Umphreys McGee. At the time, I laughed at the idea of anyone going on a cruise to see bands play, but now I see it makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There are dozens of them now. I'm surprised that you haven't seen the discussions here about Portnoy's cruise as well as Yes' Cruise to the Edge. The Moody Blues also have one, and there are many others, with varying themes.
    Most of my time spent @PE is in OT and WOT boards. I assume those discussions you mention are in the main forum; I'll look for them.

Most of my time spent @PE is in OT and WOT boards. I assume those discussions you mention are in the main forum; I'll look for them.
    They might be a little older now, but there's a thread about Jon Anderson performing with Transatlantic that has some YouTube vids from the cruise.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Public lavatory tours is the future of the game. Proves that prog is finally big enough to once again move into civil spheres of casual endeavour.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Public lavatory tours is the future of the game. Proves that prog is finally big enough to once again move into civil spheres of casual endeavour.
    the mainstream media concentrates heavily on a handful of young acts. subgenre culture probably has a smaller but much more enduring following/audience. if Steely Dan or, say, Melvins do a public lav tour, that might actually get me to go to a local mall.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I know Marillion has done the weekends at sort of low-budget holiday camps (I haven't been to the Netherlands ones which are a bit nicer I gather) and the bowels of Montreal, and now also the prog cruises have arrived, but what about a prog week at a Club Med type place? Why must it be at sea?

^ that could be yet another option, for prog landlubbers. I wonder which locales would have the least humidity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ that could be yet another option, for prog landlubbers. I wonder which locales would have the least humidity.
    I've been to Club Med at Paradise Island in the Bahamas twice (that was in the 80s and 90s and I think the club is gone now) and at Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic in the early 2000's, and I didn't find either of them overly humid. Forget what time of year I was there though. Of course, there are much less expensive places than Club Med that would probably be better picks.

There has been a bunch of discussion of the Progressive Nation At Sea cruise on the main page including several reviews and a bunch of video on several different threads. There has also been discussion of the Moody Blues Cruise and Cruise To The Edge, both of which are coming up very soon. Go to the main page, you can’t miss it.

There are cruises of every genre of music these days and they have really taken off. Along with the prog ones, I know several people who have gone on the annual Legendary Blues Cruise which always features a stellar lineup of blues musicians. They have all had a great time. There are cruises for Metal, Classic Rock, Jam Bands, R & B, just about everything these days. I have not been on one, but they sound like they would be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Word!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

They might be a little older now, but there's a thread about Jon Anderson performing with Transatlantic that has some YouTube vids from the cruise.
    Jon Anderson is the main reason I don't listen to Yes music. Their music is good, some of it great, but I find his voice annoying now.

Jon Anderson is the main reason I don't listen to Yes music...I find his voice annoying now.
    You'd like them now. They have a new singer.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Henry View Post
    You'd like them now. They have a new singer.
    Who sounds just like Jon Anderson!

Jon Anderson is the main reason I don't listen to Yes music. Their music is good, some of it great, but I find his voice annoying now.
    Nevertheless, you want to know about the cruises, go read the thread.

Nevertheless, you want to know about the cruises, go read the thread.
    I'm trying to find time to do that. Just last week I resumed listening to prog (mostly metal) after not hearing any for a few years. Revisiting Riverside, Spock's Beard, and discovering Anekdoten, Chimp Spanner, Animals As Leaders, Evergrey, and taste-testing Grand Magus and Fates Warning and so on.