Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Simon

All six Simon and Garfunkel albums...

Suspended
    Apart from the first Simon and garfunkel album, Wednesday Morning 3am, which is pretty patchy, I'd recommend all the duo's studio albums wholeheartedly. I believe "The essential S&G" is well named; I've seen a track listing and could not really think of anything that should have been there and wasn't.

I much prefer Paul Simon's S&G period to his solo stuff, although I haven't the most recent solo albums. I started to lose interest around the time of One Trick Pony, and while Graceland and its follow-up were interesting experiments, for me the novelty rapidly wore off. If you like that Zulu-influenced African sound, I'd check out a South African band called Juluka, who were around at about the same time as Simon was recording Graceland.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    If you like that Zulu-influenced African sound, I'd check out a South African band called Juluka, who were around at about the same time as Simon was recording Graceland.
    And still are.

Actually, i think Juluka (proper) broke up in the late 90s. Johnny Clegg formed a new band, perhaps with some of the same members, called "Savuka" (later Johnny Clegg and Savuka, or something like that).

Of the two bands, i preferred Juluka which had an edgier and funkier sound. less poppy by far and featuring a wonderful dual guitar thing. His partner and co-founder of Juluka isn't in Savuka, i don't think, and took certain aspects of the edgier sound and songwriting with him when he left, imo.

Not to be a stickler... and not to hijack the thread! You're right, of course, that essentially they're still around :P

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Johnny's new band is also named Juluka, though you are correct Sipho Mchunu is not in the new band. They do however play material from the full histories of both bands.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Bookends.
    One of my fave albums of all time
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Hearts & Bones is also my favorite. Listened to You're the One today. He has been remarkably consistent. Capeman is probably my least favorite as well.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I want to chime in with a recommendation for So Beautiful or So What, his latest album. Some of the writing on this record is absolutely stunning. It's my favorite thing he's ever done.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    The recent Complete Albums Collection has all his albums except his recent Live in New York and if you only own a couple, is well worth the investment.

I reviewed it here, back in January. It aims to provide some context to tie all the recordings together. Other than Songs from the Capeman is the only dud in the bunch.

I LOVE Surprise, and think it's way overlooked. Reviewed in the box but I also reviewed it separately when it was first released. Ditto his most recent studio record, So Beautiful or So What
    I've bought it recently, and I haven't even reached the mentioned albums on it. I should investigate more time in this box.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I think Hearts and Bones is his best album, and his proggiest album by far.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I also really, really dislike Al Di Meola's solo on the opening track. If ever Simon made an error in judgement on who he recruited for his records, that was the one, IMO.

Boy, how we disagree. 'Allergies', the track mentioned, was a small hitsingle in the Netherlands, and I was always surprised it wasn't included on any collection. In fact, I've always mention it as one of my favorite popsongs all times for years. Love DiMeola's guitar on this. Love the way the track is build up. Anyway, my 'other' favorite TOP2000 songs are 'Hold Me' by Fleetwood Mac and 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Okay. Here's what I wound up buying from Paul Simon's discography:

The Essential Simon & Garfunkel
    The Essential Paul Simon
    Paul Simon- Still Crazy After All These Years (w/bonus tracks)
    Paul Simon- Graceland (w/bonus tracks)
    Paul Simon- Rythm Of The Saints (w/bonus tracks)

I think that I have enough of his material for now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Library Jon
    You just need Hearts and Bones. It isn't that expensive, and you might enjoy it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    'Allergies', the track mentioned, was a small hitsingle in the Netherlands, Love DiMeola's guitar on this.
    Huh. For some reason I always thought that was Eddie Van Halen.