Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all!

Slainte!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Two Irishmen walk into a pub...

duh, where else did you think they were going

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Man I'm buzzed. I'm done

Peter, enjoy this day. Have some corned beef and cabbage .

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Parnell! James Joyce! F the Protestants!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Happy St Paddy's Day, went to the South Boston Parade yesterday, had a blast, drunks everywhere. Having a couple of Guinness' tonight.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Had to work today, but they were serving some good Irish food in our cafeteria, and were blasting some fun Irish music. Very festive. On Sunday I had my corned beef and cabbage, one of my favorite meals, along with a pint of Guiness, mandatory for the meal. All in all a solid celebration. I did recently find out I'm technically NOT Irish, but actually English for that part of our family (you hear that Ian?). Oh well, on St. Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thomas, you probably still have some Irish blood in you as the English are a mongrel nation. We were last successfully invaded around 1000 years ago but before that were awash with Irish, Welsh, Scots, Scandinavians, French, Germans, Italians, etc.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thomas, you probably still have some Irish blood in you as the English are a mongrel nation. We were last successfully invaded around 1000 years ago but before that were awash with Irish, Welsh, Scots, Scandinavians, French, Germans, Italians, etc.
    Truth is, some of my family did live in Ireland briefly, though I don't think any family member was born there. But it's just a technicality. It's half my Mom's family, with her other half being German. But I'm more Italian than anything. All of this just makes me an American, since eventually all these families came to the States. As for these holidays, they are a nice excuse for Americanized versions of their food. OK, I make sure the beer is authentic, at least with St Patricks and Oktoberfest.

We don't eat corned beef in Ireland with cabbage and potatoes we eat boiled bacon.

I'm not even sure what you refer to you say "corned beef", is it hot when you eat it? Over here corned beef is cold pressed beef conserve in a tin that we slice and put on sandwiches.

http://www.savingstuff.co.uk/AImg/tin-corned-beef.jpg

Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, we'll take everyone

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    We don't eat corned beef in Ireland with cabbage and potatoes we eat boiled bacon.

I'm not even sure what you refer to you say "corned beef", is it hot when you eat it? Over here corned beef is cold pressed beef conserve in a tin that we slice and put on sandwiches.

You can get that over here, but that's not what people are talking about. It's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_boiled_dinner

Ah ha, thanks Dave. Over here we call that salt beef. It is very much part of the Jewish kitchen, never even seen it in Ireland, the only place I've seen it is in the East End of London in Jewish delis. This I would guess is very likely a case of Irish-Americans adopting something into their own food from another culture that isn't traditionally Irish....and then being baffled when they get served boiled bacon, ham or lamb in Ireland with their spuds, peas and cabbage.

I did say we have an Americanized version of the food. But it is a meal very common with Irish American families for many decades. Likely the corned beef was just cheaper. But I love the stuff, I don't care if the people in Ireland don't eat it.

Yanks I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to Vic's comment "Peter, enjoy this day. Have some corned beef and cabbage"

Point being that I couldn't possibly eat something if I don't even know what it is. Hence my question

Now, I'd probably love it too, but to be honest I don't think I've ever had it. But I rarely eat beef of any sort anyway.

Now, I'd probably love it too, but to be honest I don't think I've ever had it. But I rarely eat beef of any sort anyway.
    Have you ever had pastrami? If you have, corned beef is similar, though less fatty. Think a combination of pastrami and brisquette.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Have you ever had pastrami? If you have, corned beef is similar, though less fatty. Think a combination of pastrami and brisquette.
    Nice!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In New England, one of the choices that you make when selecting corned beef is red vs. grey.

They taste pretty much the same, though the nitrates that the red stuff has in it seems to make it taste a bit saltier even though both types are cured with salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    In New England, one of the choices that you make when selecting corned beef is red vs. grey.
    They taste pretty much the same, though the nitrates that the red stuff has in it seems to make it taste a bit saltier even though both types are cured with salt.
    We go with the lower sodium variety, and honestly I can't tell the difference. And I use brown mustard on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    And I use brown mustard on mine.
    Now, THAT is Irish. Brown mustard rules over here! Where it gets variously called German or French mustard.