Thread: Parsifal - Met Blu-Ray

Parsifal - Met Blu-Ray

Hard to get more progressive than this (well, Tristan und Isolde, maybe, but it's a close call) so I'm posting on the front page.

Just watched the blu-ray of the Kaufmann-starring production from last year. I saw this at the cinema at the time, and I'm pleased to say it's lost none of its impact.

If you're curious about Wagner, this is a magnificent starting point: the best DVD production of (IMO) his finest opera.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I have this on order!

Contrary to the last two Met productions of Parsifal, both of which I was lucky to see live, this is a co-production with two other companies, one of which is the Canadian Opera Company in Toronto, so I will wait and see it a little closer to home. From all reports it is a tremendous production and Kaufmann is ideal for the part. I should pick it up.

Kaufmann is becoming the Wagner tenor of our times but I hope he stays clear of the heavier parts for a while. I saw his Siegmund at the Met and her was terrific and he visually is the character as well which we all know can be a stretch with the heftier tenors. He is an insightful lieder singer as well. I saw him perform Die Shone Mullerin last year and he was brilliant. Let's hope he sticks to Parsifal, Lohengrin and Siegmund and the like. I wouldn't want him to damage that wonderful voice. Thanks for reminding us that the production is out on disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I have this on order!
    Let me know what you think

chalkpie
    The Ring is in my car right now. Siegfried act II. Janowski/Dresden Staatskapelle.

I had a parallel experience to the OP's: seeing a theatrical telecast of John C. Adams's Doctor Atomic from the Met four or five years ago, then buying the DVD. In fact, I was just watching and listening to it last night - powerful stuff, although a bit much for one sitting. And, although I realize that informed opinion has recognized Adams as a tenth-rate hack, I still enjoy quite a bit of his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I realize that informed opinion has recognized Adams as a tenth-rate hack, I still enjoy quite a bit of his music.
    I'm so far out of the circle of Kool Kids that I didn't realize the tide had turned on Adams

The Gospel According to the Other Mary is, IMUO (in my uninformed opinion) pretty wonderful and very substantial - even if it does tend to give me flashbacks to my Liberation Theology drenched 1980s...

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I'm so far out of the circle of Kool Kids that I didn't realize the tide had turned on Adams...
    I think that has probably been the case ever since he became a success - a full-time professional classical composer who does not currently teach, write for the movies, or work any other day job. And I do not think that those two occurrences - his professional success and his disparagement by the truly knowledgeable critics - are unconnected. Indeed, I think the second follows as a pretty direct result of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I do not think that those two occurrences - his professional success and his disparagement by the truly knowledgeable critics - are unconnected.
    Gee - they sound like prog fans