Thread: Annie Haslam Solo

Annie Haslam Solo

I basically have all the Renaissance albums on CD. However, I have very little of Annie Haslam's solo albums. What is essential? What is recommended to pick up? What should I stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

None are essential imo. Her vocals are nice of course but musically they don't have much depth.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    i have the Live Under Brazillian Skies CD, and her version of the song Nature Boy paired with If I Loved You totally made my wife cry once - bawling! It's the combination of those two songs having a beautiful, yearning sound, and Annie's voice being amazingly JUST under control. It sounds like she could lose that control at any second, but she doesn't, and it makes for a very effective delivery.

Why here, have a listen:

As JKL2000 alluded to, Under Brazilian Skies is probably her best release because it includes songs throughout her (then) career including several Renaissance songs and her version of Turn of the Century. Its live and somewhat lackluster though because it doesn't include a full band. The other solo releases are not as compelling because, musically, they just don't have a lot of substance. Her self titled release (1989?) is probably her best out of her studio albums. If you are looking for something though just to appreciate her vocals, her 1985 release Still Life spotlights her talents the most. But this is a release of her singing non-rock standards.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    i have the Live Under Brazillian Skies CD, and her version of the song Nature Boy paired with If I Loved You totally made my wife cry once - bawling! It's the combination of those two songs having a beautiful, yearning sound, and Annie's voice being amazingly JUST under control. It sounds like she could lose that control at any second, but she doesn't, and it makes for a very effective delivery.

Why here, have a listen:

That's the only one I have, well and an Annie Haslam's Renaissance album. I like them, but I like a lot of music.

I love "Annie in Wonderland" but mostly because I love Roy Wood who is all over that one. If you appreciate Roy's more melodic work, you'll like it.

Also Jon Camp is featured on "Annie in Wonderland."
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I thought 'Blessing in Disguise' is quite a bit better than the others and the closest to the Renaissance sound, with great musicians as well. I've owned all of them over time, but none of the others were all that memorable to me. The Dunford/Haslam penned opener of 'Ananda' is nice, as is the Camp penned 'Inside My Life' from Annie in Wonderland. And yes there are nice tunes on the 'Live under Brazilian Skies' album, but 'Blessing' is the most consistantly good to me.

For me, Brazilian Skies and Blessing in Disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by whoislikegod View Post
    I love "Annie in Wonderland" but mostly because I love Roy Wood who is all over that one. If you appreciate Roy's more melodic work, you'll like it.
    What he said. Got it when it first came out in '77 or so. Probably love it more because of Roy than Annie, though her voice on it is peerless. Just a beautiful record.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Some nice moments on "Blessing In Disguise". Especially "The Sweetest Kiss".

As others have said the two that are the best that I've found are Blessing in Disguise and Annie in Wonderland. All the others I bought aren't very good at all. These two have some good music but don't expect prime Renaissance. Her voice has always been one of my favorite rock voices so I enjoy these two.

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
    For me, Brazilian Skies and Blessing in Disguise.
    Those are the two I own.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I only have " Under Brazilian Skies", notable for the live take on Oldfield's Moonlight Shadow.

what about her Chistmas CD- any good?