Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I remember giving my apologies for this a long time ago. But if that hasn't clicked, I again offer my apologies, for that remark was clearly uncalled for.
    You did apologize then.

Stop trashing people who say 'no thank you' and you'll never have to apologize about that again. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep apologizing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Huh, apparently music is a different experience for you. All bands are equal. What you listen to is not important.
    Bull. For the price I have to pay for the 1 Uz release i can buy 3 fantastic altrock releases for example.
    I made my choice. There is still so much great music out there to discover.

the bits i heared from the new uz do sound like more of the same. Perhaps more of the same good stuff,
    but for me this is a bad deal.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You did apologize then.

Stop trashing people who say 'no thank you' and you'll never have to apologize about that again. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep apologizing.
    Sunhillow - This is the main point, if some artists like the work you do streaming online that's wonderful. I myself have used your site to check out albums and have bought some I enjoyed. But if someone says "no thank you" you should drop it and not use public forums to berate them for their poor business judgement. You are not the right solution for everyone.

And back to the actually thread theme - yes it's a great album, I think it's certainly worth $30 but then I'm a UZ fan, my wife probably doubts it's worth $2. I'd recommend you get it, you'll probably enjoy it.

I totally understand the position of any music fan who says "no thanks, this one is too expensive". These are the choices we all make.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You did apologize then.

Aren't you overreacting a bit? I didnt see any thrashing by sunhillow here, only civil critism on the label and (lack) of promotion that you can agree with or not.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Aren't you overreacting a bit? I didnt see any thrashing by sunhillow here, only civil critism on the label and (lack) of promotion that you can agree with or not.
    Obviously he agreed with me. He just apologized.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Obviously he agreed with me. He just apologized.
    He apologized again for a remark 2 years ago that you just brought back to life. Theres been no thrashing in this conversation.

sigh

He implied that UZ and/or their label were getting what they deserved by people stealing their works because they said 'no thank you' to being on the Progstreaming site.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

sigh

He implied that UZ and/or their label were getting what they deserved by people stealing their works because they said 'no thank you' to being on the Progstreaming site.
    (Sigh too) then we get completely different messages from the same lines

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    sigh

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    (Sigh too) then we get completely different messages from the same lines
    Well seeing as he refers to Soulseek, which is a peer to peer sharing site it's pretty clear what he's suggesting, though I guess the winky makes it ok.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well seeing as he refers to Soulseek, which is a peer to peer sharing site it's pretty clear what he's suggesting, though I guess the winky makes it ok.
    Oh, i have no idea what soulseek is. Always thought it was dating site.

I think it's a very good album. Some of it is good old, dark and awesome UZ, while some of it is a bit more ... optimistic? I like it and I think any fan of UZ would, too. Is it worth $30? Well, that's totally up to you, of course. Personally, I think so (but then, I want to support this genre in any way I can).

For what it's worth, Sunhillow, if you complain because an artist refuses to send you a promo, then maybe you are in it for the wrong reasons. If an artist refuses me a promo, I don't hold it against them, I buy it and support the artist just the same.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 03-17-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Are you complaining about the price? $30 is only twice a domestic release, 1/3 more than most imports. And this is UNIVERS ZERO we're talking about -- if you love the music as much as I do, I'd gladly give up two One Direction albums for one UZ
    I think using an argument like "it's only twice a domestic release" doesn't hold much weight. Bottom line, $30 + shipping + tax is just not justifiable for many. I will go without because there are too many other albums I'd rather buy with my money. And I'd rather have 2 or 3 albums for the same price. Who wouldn't?

Yes, I have paid premium for a few artists that I love most, but if I did that with everything, I would have deprived myself of a lot of great music over the years.

In the end, I'm kind of pissed it's not available for $15. That's the typical market price (give or take). At least it's apparently available for download.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ph...ms/id814321057

I'm not big on this, but at this stage I'll take this route over paying $20+ more for cover art.

Or I can wait a little while longer and it'll all be on YouTube.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 03-17-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

All I see is someone who lashes out and insults artists and labels who don't wish to take you up on your offer to stream albums. Your site is a good idea. That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to say 'no thank you', without enduring a stream of insults from you.

Grow up and earn some respect.
    Good point.

Markwin, a piece of advice...

It's never a good thing to be the face of a company or service like Progstreaming and be seen as anything less than cordial and respectful to artists, labels, and fans. It is true that there are many that "don't get" or don't care about your site and philosophy. That is their right. Respect it and don't come off like sour grapes and post stuff like 'well there's Soulseek for now'. Others can say that. But given the site you run, you shouldn't.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think using an argument like "it's only twice a domestic release" doesn't hold much weight. Bottom line, $30 + shipping + tax is just not justifiable for many.
    I look at it like this. It's less than taking the wife out for dinner. It's less than a pair of new jeans. It's less than a fillup at the gas station.

It's more than lunch but then it lasts a lot longer

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Some of it is good old, dark and awesome UZ, while some of it is a bit more ... optimistic? I like it and I think any fan of UZ would, too.
    The second-to-last track is unique in UZ's canon, it's two brass horns + organ. Almost a classical feel, not the 'underground industrial' sound of the rest of it.

As I peel back layers of this release I'm finding more and more to appreciate. The new keyboardist has quite a few sections of some really bright and forward piano. Kind of a different sound, less unison playing.

I look at it like this. It's less than taking the wife out for dinner. It's less than a pair of new jeans. It's less than a fillup at the gas station.

It's more than lunch but then it lasts a lot longer
    My jeans costs 15€ a pair and I drive on LPG, which makes 25€ a tank

Take the wife to McDonald's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

And bring the new UZ for them to play over the stereo while you're there. Come to think of it, bring the Art Bears' The World As It Is Today as well, and highlight "Investment Capital Overseas" at full blast.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Good point.

Markwin, a piece of advice...

It's never a good thing to be the face of a company or service like Progstreaming and be seen as anything less than cordial and respectful to artists, labels, and fans. It is true that there are many that "don't get" or don't care about your site and philosophy. That is their right. Respect it and don't come off like sour grapes and post stuff like 'well there's Soulseek for now'. Others can say that. But given the site you run, you shouldn't.
    Thanks, Sean, I think this is sound advice. I'm still a bit annoyed by the pretty harsh remarks that have been made on this thread, but I see your point in that others can say stuff about about Soulseek (or YouTube, for that matter, great pun, intended or not), but I shouldn't, because of my position. Maybe I'm even leaning slightly towards Steve's remark that I should indeed 'grow up'.

Well... I'll try anyway

Did you by the way know that you're three days younger than me? February '70 rules, man!

All your streaming would accomplish would be for some listeners to download the album for free.
    a person cant download while streaming can they?

as far as UZ goes, I have them all, and want them all... but I'm hoping to get this one for under $20 on Amazon someday in the future
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And bring the new UZ for them to play over the stereo while you're there. Come to think of it, bring the Art Bears' The World As It Is Today as well, and highlight "Investment Capital Overseas" at full blast.

rotflmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

How about "Rats and Monkeys" from Winter Songs? Now there's some serious Wyatting!!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    a person cant download while streaming can they?
    Yes.

When you listen to streamed music etc. it IS on your PC, (else you could not hear it) the technical problem is to make it stay/record it, and not get deleted instantanously/continuosly. And there are ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    When you listen to streamed music etc. it IS on your PC, (else you could not hear it) the technical problem is to make it stay/record it, and not get deleted instantanously/continuosly. And there are ways.
    yeah, but whats the quality equivalent... 64 Kbps???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?