Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Genesis reunion still possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Bottom line: PC ain't playing drums.
    Who says he has to? Get Chester back there. Phil can play a tambourine and sing back up.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Who says he has to? Get Chester back there. Phil can play a tambourine and sing back up.
    I'm not fond of Chester. For a reunion, the best choice is NDV however I'm sure Phil's and Simon's ego would not permit that.

Enough already with these pointless speculations. It won't happen, it shouldn't happen.

Did PG start out a a drummer?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    I can't understand why even the most hardcore fan would be interested in this. They're old and there's no way shows would be satisfying.
    I sadly must concur. I did shell out the big $ to see their 'Turn It On Again' Tour in 2007 and even then they played out of tune a good part of the time. This was in San Jose. Hope others had better experiences wherever else they saw Genesis then.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It won't happen, it shouldn't happen.
    I agree it wont happen, but "shouldn't"? Not sure I understand that. If Hackett could pull it off, why not with the rest of the band?

Doesn't sound like a pleasant prospect to me. Hackett seems to be the only one who has kept up his game and in fact has steadily improved over the years. Phil is a shell of his former self. Mike can't be bothered to re-learn specific tunings. Tony maybe still has the chops, but as evidenced from the 2007 shows couldn't give a rat's ass about authentivcally replicating his classic sounds (just ask Squids). PG's voice is definitley not what it used to be.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I agree it wont happen, but "shouldn't"? Not sure I understand that. If Hackett could pull it off, why not with the rest of the band?
    There are many reasons already listed in the thread. Frankly, most of them just haven't kept up their chops the way Hackett has.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Like Lennon said once when asked about a Beatles reunion..."should Jesus climb back up on the cross for all the dummies that missed it the first time?"
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Well if the band were to decide they wanted to do it, I for one wouldn't begrudge them. It's part of who they are, and a huge part of their lives was involved in writing and performing that music.

I never got to see them even on the 2007 tour, so as slim (or nonexistent) as the chances are, I would jump at the chance to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Like Lennon said once when asked about a Beatles reunion..."should Jesus climb back up on the cross for all the dummies that missed it the first time?"
    Maybe if Jesus was offered a small fortune he would change his tune.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There are many reasons already listed in the thread. Frankly, most of them just haven't kept up their chops the way Hackett has.
    I'm not sure I agree. Phil maybe but I don't think Gabriel would have too much of an issue. Rutherford same thing.

If they decide to do this that would be great. Who are 'we' to decide whether a band reforms or not.

Regards,
    Jon

Wow, he just couldn't stay away from god and Christ comparisons could he?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Phil maybe but I don't think Gabriel would have too much of an issue. Rutherford same thing.

If they decide to do this that would be great. Who are 'we' to decide whether a band reforms or not.

Regards,
    Jon
    Exactly. It's entirely up to them and and how much is left in their bank accounts. For us to speculate is kind of pointless since they are going to do what they want and more than likely aren't going to take a poll on PE first before they do a reunion.

Yeah, but The Beatles were more popular.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So now it's Lennon who ruined Genesis?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    So now it's Lennon who ruined Genesis?
    The Beatles invented ruining Genesis.

Banned
    Genesis was in fact a Big Bang and the results of observing gravitational Ripples from the beginning is theory which describes why we can not get back to that point in time:

A Special Time

The data traced the onset of inflation to a time that physicists like Dr. Guth, staying up late in his Palo Alto house 35 years ago, suspected was a special break point in the evolution of the universe.

Physicists recognize four forces at work in the world today: gravity, electromagnetism, and strong and weak nuclear forces. But they have long suspected that those are simply different manifestations of a single unified force that ruled the universe in its earliest, hottest moments.

As the universe cooled, according to this theory, there was a fall from grace, like some old folk mythology of gods or brothers falling out with each other. The laws of physics evolved, with one force after another splitting away.

That was where Dr. Guth came in.

Under some circumstances, a glass of water can stay liquid as the temperature falls below 32 degrees, until it is disturbed, at which point it will rapidly freeze, releasing latent heat.

Similarly, the universe could “supercool” and stay in a unified state too long. In that case, space itself would become imbued with a mysterious latent energy.

Inserted into Einstein’s equations, the latent energy would act as a kind of antigravity, and the universe would blow itself up. Since it was space itself supplying the repulsive force, the more space was created, the harder it pushed apart.

What would become our observable universe mushroomed in size at least a trillion trillionfold — from a submicroscopic speck of primordial energy to the size of a grapefruit — in less than a cosmic eye-blink.

Almost as quickly, this pulse would subside, relaxing into ordinary particles and radiation. All of normal cosmic history was still ahead, resulting in today’s observable universe, a patch of sky and stars billions of light-years across. “It’s often said that there is no such thing as a free lunch,” Dr. Guth likes to say, “but the universe might be the ultimate free lunch.”

Make that free lunches. Most of the hundred or so models resulting from Dr. Guth’s original vision suggest that inflation, once started, is eternal. Even as our own universe settled down to a comfortable homey expansion, the rest of the cosmos will continue blowing up, spinning off other bubbles endlessly, a concept known as the multiverse.

So the future of the cosmos is perhaps bright and fecund, but do not bother asking about going any deeper into the past.

We might never know what happened before inflation, at the very beginning, because inflation erases everything that came before it. All the chaos and randomness of the primordial moment are swept away, forever out of our view.

“If you trace your cosmic roots,” said Abraham Loeb, a Harvard-Smithsonian astronomer who was not part of the team, “you wind up at inflation.”

The funny thing about all of this conjecturing about if they should do this or not, is that if they did, if they REALLY did reunite, I predict that pretty much every person on this thread would scramble to find a way to see a show. I sure would regardless of if it's a good idea or not.

Not necessarily. When I saw the 2007 show, I actually I thought they sounding pretty weak. I know I was in the minority for feeling this, but then I had ask, if this was your first introduction to the band would you have become a fan? Probably not. And that was 7 years ago. I was there at their last show at the Hollywood Bowl where Phil made his goodbye speech. I thought that was really cool and touching and I had a left with the feeling that would be the last time they would be on stage together. But I had no desire to see it again.

On the other hand if Gabriel does get involved... except he won't because can't cut that old material.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Not necessarily. When I saw the 2007 show, I actually I thought they sounding pretty weak. I know I was in the minority for feeling this, but then I had ask, if this was your first introduction to the band would you have become a fan? Probably not. And that was 7 years ago. I was there at their last show at the Hollywood Bowl where Phil made his goodbye speech. I thought that was really cool and touching and I had a left with the feeling that would be the last time they would be on stage together. But I had no desire to see it again.

On the other hand if Gabriel does get involved... except he won't because can't cut that old material.
    It's funny how people see things differently. I was at that same show and honestly I thought it was one of the better concert going experiences of my life. Even with the fact that I am not really fond of the Hollywood Bowl for concerts, I loved it.

This is great news! Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    We'll have to disagree then. Gabriel's voice has changed significantly, which would most likely require down-tuning, and Rutherford couldn't remember the tunings for the older songs on the last tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    The funny thing about all of this conjecturing about if they should do this or not, is that if they did, if they REALLY did reunite, I predict that pretty much every person on this thread would scramble to find a way to see a show.
    Nope.

ProgressiveEars would probably explode, but just as in 2007, I really have no interest in this. I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes video they made for that tour, but the down-tuning was really bothersome to me. For me, it's just as annoying as slowing down the tempo. And yes, I acknowledge that a singer generally has no control over how their voice changes over time. Doesn't matter.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We'll have to disagree then. Gabriel's voice has changed significantly, which would most likely require down-tuning, and Rutherford couldn't remember the tunings for the older songs on the last tour.

Nope.

ProgressiveEars would probably explode, but just as in 2007, I really have no interest in this. I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes video they made for that tour, but the down-tuning was really bothersome to me. For me, it's just as annoying as slowing down the tempo. And yes, I acknowledge that a singer generally has no control over how their voice changes over time. Doesn't matter.
    This is how I feel about it. I would be tempted, no doubt, and would probably consider it.............but it the tickets were more than $60-70 each, I'd pass. I had zero interest in the 3 man version back in 2007, though I probably would have gone out of my way to attend a show if it was PG Genesis back then. Now, not so much. I've seen The Musical Box, Hackett, and have the 1973 version of the band on DVD, so I really think any show of the 5 man lineup at this point would just be disappointing.

I would much rather see a "Musical Box" like group of younger musicians try their hand at reproducing a classic Genesis show.