Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dragon the Cat

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

RIP Dragon the Cat

I had to decide between the illness and injury thread or here.
    Our poor, poor kitty finally was in such bad shape we had to have her put to sleep. According to the vet, a major crisis was probably only about a week away (this photo is from maybe a couple of months ago). She had a mastectomy last summer, but the cancer had spread again, including to her lungs which was making breathing very hard, and also to the nerves in one leg, which she'd lost the use of. A very hard decision, but the right one.

My son (now 15) named her when we got her (about 8 years ago - she was a stray about one year old). He named her Dragon because she was kind of wild back then - she climbed up my wife to try to get to one of our other cats which she was holding. She was some kind of cross between Siamese and Burmese or something. Pretty mellow once she got used to us. She was the only cat we had now (just a corn snake left!), so we have to decide what's next. My wife and sons want a dog, I want to get two cats that are in need of a home.

Well, she was cute, eh? I love cats - they really never do anything objectionable once they love you.

dragon.jpg

Awwww. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've experienced your pain and the heartbreak of your decision. It's never an easy decision to make. RIP beautiful Dragon.

Why decide between a dog or cats for your future? Get both. Dogs and cats can live very happily together.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Awwww. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've experienced your pain and the heartbreak of your decision. It's never an easy decision to make. RIP beautiful Dragon.

Why decide between a dog or cats for your future? Get both. Dogs and cats can live very happily together.
    ^ Thanks! And good question. I guess it's that I'm not really a dog person, but when we've had dogs I was the one who ended up doing most of the work taking care of them. We've also had big problems with excessive barking, etc. Cats are just so much easier. You can leave them on their own for a few days, you don't have to walk them. I prefer the couple of times a day encounters with cats to the constantly in your face of having a dog. Of course, there's always the possibility of adopting an older, more sedate and quiet dog. But you still have to walk them. I do overall like the idea of adopting older pets that need a home and might be having a harder time finding one. I don't mind skipping the kitten or puppy stage.

Sorry to hear about your cat.
    She was a beauty.

Sorry for your cat ,same case was with my cat "Pepsi" who died in 2010 at age 14
    IMG_0121.jpg
    Now I have a tomcat " Martin" 4 years old and 10kg weight
    martinica.jpg
    Last edited by GentleG; 03-14-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Sorry for your cat.

Last month my cat Touta was put to sleep, which was quite unexpected. The last week before we went to the vet, for the vaccinations, I got the impression, my cats didn't eat that much and one of them put something outside the litterbox. When I put Touta in her transportcase, I had the impression, she had lost quite some weight. The vet put her on the scale and her weight was a mere 2.7 kg. Two years ago her weight was 3.73 kg. He felt a big lump in her body and it apeared to be cancer, which was pretty advanced, so there was no other choice, than to put her to sleep. I didn't had the change to make a last picture. This is one from November 2012. The one on the right was Touta, the other one is Soussou, the male, who weights something under 3 kg.
    IMGP5823.jpg

So sorry for your cat and you. Putting them down is very tough. When it was "Kramer's" time to go my Wife and I cried all day. next month it will be 3 years since that fateful day and it still hurts a bit when I think of him.

I've had to put down 2 dogs and a cat in my life, and it's inevitably hard and very sad. My sympathy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sorry for your cat.

Last month my cat Touta was put to sleep, which was quite unexpected. The last week before we went to the vet, for the vaccinations, I got the impression, my cats didn't eat that much and one of them put something outside the litterbox. When I put Touta in her transportcase, I had the impression, she had lost quite some weight. The vet put her on the scale and her weight was a mere 2.7 kg. Two years ago her weight was 3.73 kg. He felt a big lump in her body and it apeared to be cancer, which was pretty advanced, so there was no other choice, than to put her to sleep. I didn't had the change to make a last picture. This is one from November 2012. The one on the right was Touta, the other one is Soussou, the male, who weights something under 3 kg.
    IMGP5823.jpg
    Thanks, Renate. I just reread your post and realized how recently it was that you lost Touta - what beautiful cats! My condolences.

Thanks everyone else, too. At least this wasn't a surprise, so it gave us time to appreciate still having Dragon around.

The good news is, we're going this weekend to see a momma cat and her kittens that are all up for adoption. Our intention is to adopt the mother and two of the kittens once the kittens are all old enough. MUST...HAVE...CATS!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, Renate. I just reread your post and realized how recently it was that you lost Touta - what beautiful cats! My condolences.
    I missed this! I'm so sorry Renate. My condolences also.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The good news is, we're going this weekend to see a momma cat and her kittens that are all up for adoption. Our intention is to adopt the mother and two of the kittens once the kittens are all old enough. MUST...HAVE...CATS!
    YAY!!! Good for you for taking the momma cat too! I'm sure Dragon would be proud.

I agree with "MUST...HAVE...CATS!" LOL! We have three. A day doesn't go by that they don't make me laugh, give me a cuddle and a purr, and enrich my life in some way.

Lovely, a mother with kittens. I got Soussou and Touta, his mother, when they were a bit older. Soussou sometimes still misses his mother. I love him, he is the sweetest cat I ever had, perhaps a bit to sweet. His mother had a bit more character. She could be a little bit cranky at times, but as soon as she tried to bite, or do something with her paw, she took fright and backed off, which was quite funny, as if she thought "hey, I'm acting out of character".

Jon Neudorf
    Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about Dragon. It's always tough losing a pet. In August we lost our cat Aaron of 15 years. A real hard pill to swallow.

Did you adopt the mom and kittens?

Suspended
    I still miss my poor old cat Bung-eye, many years gone now, whom I adopted as a stray.

Urban myth has it that cats do not take well to moving house, but I lived in four different dwellings with that cat and he happily settled in to each one.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I still miss my poor old cat Bung-eye, many years gone now, whom I adopted as a stray.

Urban myth has it that cats do not take well to moving house, but I lived in four different dwellings with that cat and he happily settled in to each one.
    Sorry to hear about Bung-eye.

My cats hate change! My husband painted the bedroom last week and two of the cats were totally freaked out just from having him move some of the furniture around to get it out of the way. The third cat just wanted to help him paint.

Suspended
    If you haven't already, read "The Silent Miaow" by Paul Gallico. A foreword explains that Gallico is not really the author; supposedly it is "translated from the feline", the original text being a bunch of manuscripts generated by a cat's paws at a typewriter. Every cat owner will recognise their own cat in this book.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Sorry to hear! My sister is having to decide on her cat Taz, who was just diagnosed as diabetic. Taz also requires hydration IVs several times a week and apparently cannot move around so well and has lost a lot of weight. Of course, if you go by the whole "one year equals seven years" thing, Taz is the cat equivalent of approximately a 150 year old human...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Lovely, a mother with kittens. I got Soussou and Touta, his mother, when they were a bit older. Soussou sometimes still misses his mother. I love him, he is the sweetest cat I ever had, perhaps a bit to sweet. His mother had a bit more character. She could be a little bit cranky at times, but as soon as she tried to bite, or do something with her paw, she took fright and backed off, which was quite funny, as if she thought "hey, I'm acting out of character".
    Very funny behavior! And sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about Dragon. It's always tough losing a pet. In August we lost our cat Aaron of 15 years. A real hard pill to swallow.

Did you adopt the mom and kittens?
    Yes, we did, and the kittens are of course crazy! Enoch, the boy, delights in attacking my toes periodically throughout the night and morning, and climbing my legs at feeding time . Ouch! I've lost quite a bit of blood. The little girl, Iris, is adorable and likes to sit on my shoulder and lick my sweaty hair, then just curl up on my shoulder and sleep. Very nice! But I have to admit I'm more into older cats, and need to spend some time each morning holding Nana, the momma cat, as we warm and wake each other up. I was hoping she'd take to me and it seems she has. If I try to put her down before she's ready, she just climbs up onto my shoulder and perches there - and she's no kitten, though she is on the small side.

Anyway, we all love each other by now.

I'm so happy to hear all of that. When we adopted our kitten, Baxter, he did the same thing with our feet. Loved to play Catch the Toe to wake us up in the morning. Now he's a 14 pound two-year-old and, although he doesn't play with our feet as often, I'm still woken up at 3am by a Toe Attack every now and then. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thankfully, the other two cats have no interest in our feet

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    My cats hate change! My husband painted the bedroom last week and two of the cats were totally freaked out just from having him move some of the furniture around to get it out of the way. The third cat just wanted to help him paint.
    JKL - Sorry about your loss, but hey, it's great the new family is doing so good !! That kitten energy!

FA - I do remodeling in people's homes and find there's two kind of cats. One hides for the duration, and the other just wants to help all the time !! LOL!

This was in the news this past week. Not sure where this is, might be Florida.

GO CAT GO!!!!!!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    My condolences. I'm typing with my cat, with a very similar story, on my lap right now. The loss is a real and deep one.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

My condolences on your loss.

We've got a dog and cats. Everyone gets along. I think if a dog grows up around cats it works best. As far as the barking issue goes, just make sure you get something with a some retriever in it. Labs and goldens are the mellowest when it comes to barking.

My wife and I lost three cats in the last two years. It was brutal. Now our oldest, who's sixteen, caught some sort of upper respiratory infection. He's a big Maine Coon and he eventually shook it off. Now he's back to talking up a storm, stomping around the house, and making sure everyone knows who is boss in this house.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife and I lost three cats in the last two years. It was brutal. Now our oldest, who's sixteen, caught some sort of upper respiratory infection. He's a big Maine Coon and he eventually shook it off. Now he's back to talking up a storm, stomping around the house, and making sure everyone knows who is boss in this house.
    I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better. Is your Maine Coon fascinated by water? We have a tuxedo who we suspect is part Maine Coon. He has many of the physical traits. He is fascinated by water. Doesn't like to get wet, but could watch the tap run for hours. He loves to lie on the counter and watch me wash the dishes. It's weird. I've heard that's a Maine Coon trait. Is that your experience too?

Yeah, they love water. We had one that actually liked to go out and walk in the rain. A dripping faucet can hypnotize a Maine Coon for at least an hour.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart