Thread: Chicago (the band) in concert these days ... any good?

Chicago (the band) in concert these days ... any good?

I posed this question on my FB page, where it's been met with silence. So I'll try my luck here.

Has anyone seen Chicago in recent years? I just found out they're playing in Vancouver and Victoria, BC, over the next few days, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the hassle with Customs and the cost of the ticket to go see them. I've always wanted to see them live. The setlists look like they're heavy on the '70s and light on the adult-contemporary stuff, which is good to see. But with only Robert Lamm and the horn section left from the original lineup, I almost feel like I'd be going to see a tribute band.

So I'm wondering whether it's a show worth seeing, and I figured I'd try to get some input from anyone who's seen them recently. Thanks!

I saw them 2 years ago and they sound great musically but it was quite painful listening to Scheffs voice. I'm not sure if he was having a rough night but it was grating - off pitch and all over the place. Lam and Parnelli sound great though.
    My Kindle wont let me spell Roberts name correctly...

Unfortunately they had to share the stage with Robin Thick during the Grammys. They sounded good/great to me. I say go for it, I'm sure you'll have a blast! You know you're getting old when you have to second-guess your concert going decisions/getting out of the house. ;-)

Adrian - I was ambivalent about going last summer (I love the debut CTA album, like the 2nd album and then for me it stops). I had never seen them live either and Kay likes them, so we went.

I was utterly & completely blown out of my shorts at how good they were. Lamm can still sing, and the (relatively) new guy that sings the Cetera/Kath songs was awesome! The horn section (Pankow, Loughane & Parazaider) is still intact 46 years later!

GO!
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-13-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    You know you're getting old when you have to second-guess your concert going decisions/getting out of the house. ;-)
    Haha, yes! It's so true. I'm raising a 2-year-old and work full-time from home. That alone exhausts me, but more often I find myself thinking about how tired I'm going to be the next morning if I go to a show. I miss my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Adrian - I was ambivalent about going last summer (I love the debut CTA album, like the 2nd album and them for me it stops). I had never seen them live either and Kay likes them, so we went.

I was utterly & completely blown out of my shorts at how good they were. Lamm can still sing, and the (relatively) new guy that sings the Cetera/Kath songs was awesome! The horn section (Pankow, Loughane & Parazaider) is still intact 46 years later!

GO!
    Great endorsement! Thank you! I'll sleep on it, but I'm leaning toward "Go."

I could also see them at our state fair in September, but they're sharing the bill with REO Speedwagon, which I have zero interest in seeing. And who knows what would get chopped from the setlist.

If you end up not going to the show, at least get their latest concert DVD (or blu-Ray)....called Chicago in Chicago. Was recorded in 2010.....it is EXCELLENT.....except for one song where they allow a lady to sing If You Leave Now....that is pretty cheezy....other than that it is truly amazing!

I saw them several years ago and they were excellent. Scheef has been in the band longer than Cetera and is an excellent bass player. What I enjoyed most was how the band would pair off during certain songs. Maybe Lamm and just Pankow for one song or some other combination. Plus, when they did material from the 80's and later, they had re-arranged it so it sounded more like their classic material. Go!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

If the intent is just to go out and see/hear an artist perform in a high profile venue setting, then why should it matter so much in comparison to old Chicago, particular a group with such a long history and some original members intact?

Just go and have a good time

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd go.

Co-incidentally, I'm seeing the fantastic Chicago Tribute Band Brass Transit, tonight for the millionth time...

check em out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDIwzxbUIzE
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

They have a new album coming with all new material. They've been posting many of the songs online(a few involving Trent Gardner) and it's WAYYYY better than the disappointing "XXX" album. Unlike "XXX" it's all performed by the band and not session players.

I keep hearing about this new album and have heard the tunes released on line, but when is this album actually dropping? I have not seen a date.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I've seen Chicago a few times over the past four or five years, and it all depends on the night, and it has mostly come down to Scheff. He has been great on some nights, horrible (kind of mailing it in) on others.

Also, be aware that you may not get the original horn section. Walt doesn't perform at all the concerts these days. If I've seen Chicago five times, Walt was there only twice.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I keep hearing about this new album and have heard the tunes released on line, but when is this album actually dropping? I have not seen a date.

Bill
    It's supposed to come out some time this year according to their fan site. I think all the recording has been done.

Well, I didn't make it to the Vancouver or Victoria shows, but I'm going to see if I can get someone to cover work for me on Sunday so I can trek down to Oregon on Saturday night. I've read that they have subs for the horn section (like paythesnuka said), and I'd be pretty disappointed not to get all the original remaining members, but I guess all you can do is take the gamble and hope Walt, Lee, and Jimmy are all there.

I've been watching some online interviews since I'm in a Chicago mood now, and I feel bad for Bobby Lamm and the horn section -- who seem to do all the interviews -- that they seem to keep getting asked, over and over, about Kath and Cetera. Yes, it was hard to carry on after Kath died. No, Cetera isn't coming back. (I guess no one cares about Danny Seraphine?) Gotta give them credit for being consummate professionals and calmly answering the same old questions as if they hadn't been asked the same things 10,000 times before!