Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Palmer - "I Stopped It." Didn't want reunion after H.V. gig

Carl Palmer - "I Stopped It." Didn't want reunion after H.V. gig

New stuff out there, so yep, I'm gonna start another ELP/Carl Palmer thread instead of adding to the other one. Okay? Okay.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...almer-reunion/

**Carl Palmer now says he’s the one who halted a larger Emerson Lake and Palmer reunion after the prog trio’s performance at the High Voltage Festival in 2010.
    He felt that they didn’t mesh together in the same fashion anymore.
    “If it had been just as good as it used to be, on that same level, I would have accepted that, but I don’t think it was, and I don’t think the other guys thought it was."**

Well, perhaps if they gave it a chance; rehearsals, a short tour, maybe they would have meshed again. Perhaps personalities clashed too hard and it just wasn't comfortable in that respect?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

This isn't exactly new news. Palmer was pretty clear after H.V. that he was done. I think he said some things about the other guys not staying in shape (playing shape, physical shape?) and that he felt H.V. was a good way to go out, even though the performance wasn't all that good. Personally, from the footage I watched Palmer wasn't all that hot at H.V. either, but I agree with him. ELP just doesn't have it anymore, really didn't for much of the latter part of their reunion period.

I'm glad I caught them in Boston on what was a pretty good night, but the show I saw of the Emerson/Lake tour was, imo, dreadful. Admittedly it was early in the tour, so perhaps they improved, but they needed a lot of tune up work. I just don't see what this band has left to accomplish. They won't make new music, or if they did it would probably be like Black Moon or Hot Seat. They have toured pretty much everywhere. Who hasn't seen them who still wants to? Does anyone expect magical performances from Lake or Emerson at this point (or Palmer for that matter), or is it just the fun/nostalgia of seeing the dudes up there?

Don't get me wrong, I love ELP. But I genuinely think these guys need to find other vehicles for music than trotting out the ELP back catalog and wrestling the Hammond for the zillionth time. In this case, I agree with Palmer 100% and hope he sticks to his guns.

Bill

C'mon. This is not new stuff. It's pretty well known. And, fact of the matter, nobody really cares anymore.

Personally, I'd rather see what Keith Emerson's projects turn into; it maybe not that interesting (although I have enjoyed his last two KEB records, including the last one with the orchestra) , but it's still 1000000000% more relevant than Asia or Greg Lake crooning "the songs of a lifetime". or whatever. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Personally, I'd rather see what Keith Emerson's projects turn into; it maybe not that interesting (although I have enjoyed his last two KEB records, including the last one with the orchestra) , but it's still 1000000000% more relevant than Asia or Greg Lake crooning "the songs of a lifetime".
    I agree that, of all that's left of ELP, Kieth Emerson's musical mind is the most valuable and relevant. I was a bit disappointed in the latest Three Fates project because I wish he'd spend less time rehashing old music -- let someone else bother with that -- and more time composing new material. Even if he can't play it himself I'd bet there are plentiful ensembles out there more than willing to premier a new Kieth Emerson composition, whether it be rock, classical, or whatever.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Ahhh...so Carl Palmer threads are the new Yes and Genesis threads now?

Cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Agree here as well. I find the KEB stronger than ELP was at the end. Greg Lake has nowhere near the chops, voice or energy of Marc Bonilla, and Emo's rhythm section is superb. If Palmer could return to a more melodious drumming style, the magic could return with the KEB band and Palmer, but I think that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Cool.
    Yes, but did Palmer ruin ELP? How much work does he have left before he supplants Phil Collins?

Emerson Band a year before High Voltage. Blows away anything the great Carl Palmer has manufactured. Maybe Carl is upset he wasn't invited to play in this band too?
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 03-13-2014 at 12:28 PM.

^^^^^^^^^^
    Just skimming through it, that concert kicks mighty ass. Can't wait to check out the whole thing. I like the rock setting of the Piano Concerto! That's how it should have been in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Just skimming through it, that concert kicks mighty ass. Can't wait to check out the whole thing. I like the rock setting of the Piano Concerto! That's how it should have been in the first place
    Wow, for some reason I've never seen this. You're right -- the rock version of the Concerto is pretty cool and makes a lot of sense. Also, given the earlier discussions of the song it's admirable how Bonilla actually makes "Touch And Go" not sound lame.

But the shots of the Russian audience are funny. It looks like half of them were either bussed in just to fill seats, or are waiting for the balalaika trio or something.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I never saw ELP live(just Keith and Greg a few years ago)so I personally wish they would do one more north American tour. Yes I realize that's not going to happen now.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But the shots of the Russian audience are funny. It looks like half of them were either bussed in just to fill seats, or are waiting for the balalaika trio or something.
    Yes, it was a festival crowd.

This show has been available on DVD and CD for quite some time already. Really excellent all around, the best shots of Emo's playing ever, and the CDs sound better than any ELP live recording. Mark Bonilla did a fantastic job on mixing them.

You should check out the re-worked version of Lucky Man (37 min mark), and Keith's solo that concludes. Floors any previous version you have ever heard.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 03-13-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I never saw ELP live(just Keith and Greg a few years ago)so I personally wish they would do one more north American tour. Yes I realize that's not going to happen now.
    I do understand where you're coming from; that said, I'm glad it isn't happening. Not out of spite or the obligatory "bah they're too old" or anything...but because at this point, Emerson seems to be causing himself damage more and more each time. For his health, I hope they leave it be.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Cool.
    Always trust PE for bashing target auto-renewal

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I do understand where you're coming from; that said, I'm glad it isn't happening. Not out of spite or the obligatory "bah they're too old" or anything...but because at this point, Emerson seems to be causing himself damage more and more each time. For his health, I hope they leave it be.
    It is interesting how beaten up Emo is after decades of touring. Horowitz played with incredible virtuosity until the age of 84. Of course, ol' Vlad never drug his Steinway on top of him, either...

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    It is interesting how beaten up Emo is after decades of touring. Of course, ol' Vlad never drug his Steinway on top of him, either...
    Neither did Emo. He only spun (suspended) with his piano & wrestled his Hammond, then killed it with knives. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    It is interesting how beaten up Emo is after decades of touring. Horowitz played with incredible virtuosity until the age of 84. Of course, ol' Vlad never drug his Steinway on top of him, either...
    Repetitive stress injuries aren't that predictable. Also, it's important to remember that Horowitz took an extended retirement from 1953-65 and again from 1969-74 because of self-doubt. His joints and tendons probably didn't have as much wear and tear on them as Emerson's do at the same age.

I was actually quite shocked at how good the recent Keith Emerson Band stuff was, given how the High Voltage performance made it sound as though he was playing with mittens on
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Carl said much the same thing on last year's Cruise to the Edge. He just didn't think Emerson and Lake were cutting it anymore and told them so. (his words not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I was actually quite shocked at how good the recent Keith Emerson Band stuff was, given how the High Voltage performance made it sound as though he was playing with mittens on
    The KEB album was done before Keith had yet more hand problems. He was sounding good on that, but I wasn't that crazy about the album to be honest. It had its moments, but somehow the guitar/vocal style was too 'rawk and roll' for what I like about Keith's music. At least he bothered making something new *and* somewhat of a challenge, though, and I give him credit for that.

I think, sadly, ELP have run their course. The last gig was at least a big one, I guess!

I saw the Keith Emerson Band when they played at NEARfest however many years ago that was (2006, maybe?), and I thought they were fantastic. I thought Keith sounded great, played well, and it was cool to get to hear the whole thing of Tarkus, finally. I also dug the new arrangement of Lucky Man. And here Keith tell all those great stories, eg being called "that son of a bitch from England who plays all that fucked up shit" by Jimmy Smith, getting "checked out" by Leonard Bernstein, and having to order a back issue of Keyboard magazine so he could relearn the Lucky Man solo because everyone else except him decided it "had" to be played just like the studio version when they did the first reunion tour.

I gather, therefore, that he's had more hand problems since then, which is why he played the way he did at the High Voltage festival (I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought something "wasn't right" with that one). I realize you can't always play the way you did 40 years ago, but at High Voltage he didn't seem to be able play the way he had even just 5 or 6 years earlier. At least that's the impression one got from watching what VH-1 Classic aired. (shrug)

And if he's causing himself more harm by continuing to play, maybe he should just pack in. Either that or maybe he could adapt to the situation and write new music that fits with his current playing abilities, rather than playing the old stuff...I hate to say badly, but really, like I said, what I saw on VH-1 Classic really was kinda embarrassing, I thought.

I figured his hands were giving him problems on the ELP show. He was so much better on the Russian DVD with KEB. It was quite obvious he wasn't able to physically pull it off. I thought Palmer was the highlight of the HV show.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I figured his hands were giving him problems on the ELP show. He was so much better on the Russian DVD with KEB. It was quite obvious he wasn't able to physically pull it off. I thought Palmer was the highlight of the HV show.

Bill
    ^^^^Without adoubt. Carl & Greg kept that show together. No fault of Keith's due to his injuries but he was all over the place at that gig. I know because I was there & the DVD is the lasting evidence!

I watched the video of the High Voltage show, and Karn Evil was rough. I seriously thought they were going to completely derail during bits of it, and to be honest the guy who seemed to struggle the most was Carl. Keith had a few moments, but man Carl sounded like he was barely keeping up. I don't know why, as his band plays ELP stuff, and the footage of him playing with that group seems to be as good as ever.

After the first song they seemed to be ok and started to feed off of the audience. Not a shining moment, but hardly in the realm of Led Zep at Live Aid (which was the most painful thing to see unfold ever).

Greg sounds great, his range is much lower now but still I just love the tone of his voice.

This is one of the problems with playing "athletic" music. Eventually, your body decides to stop cooperating, unless you are very, very lucky.

There's no shame in giving up performance in favor of composing, and Keith is a big enough "name" to get his music performed widely if he wanted to go that route.