Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magma recommendations

I'm going to differ from everyone else and suggest that, if you can get hold of it, the best "starter" album would be the live TRILOGIE AU TRIANON - this is the essential trilogy of Theusz Hamtaahk (I'm not going to try to get the accents right), Wurdah Itah, and Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh all in one package, beautifully performed, with Vander's drums out front where they belong.

Others' mileage may vary.

I'm seeing it on EBay, but it's way expensive - the DVD set goes cheaper!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Listen alone, your boyfriend/girlfriend probably won't like it.

All from Trianon
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Self-professed "World's Greatest Magma fan" here. I go with Live/Hhai. But if I can plug myself, I wrote this for Sea of Tranquility and it might give you lots of insight into many of the earlier albums:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sect...icle&artid=281
    This was pretty good, I learned a lot from this. Obviously most of these tunes have quite a complex lineage. Any plans to visit the recent material?

and for that matter, anyone know when "Slag Tanz" is coming to the studio?
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Slag Tanz, now called Axium, is being mastered as I write. Should be out in a few months, unless Offering live is released sooner.

Thanks for the kind words on the article.

Wow, that's great news! Do you know if there will be anything else on the Axium / Slag Tanz album?

Also who else is up for a Kickstarter to get Billy Sherwood involved somehow?

chalkpie
    Slag Tanz, now called Axium, is being mastered as I write. Should be out in a few months, unless Offering live is released sooner.

Oh boy - who is mastering this? And why isn't Udi doing it?

I already know what this is going to sound like.

I am too a bit dissapointed with the sound of their studioalbums.
    A pillow placed in front of the loudspeaker...
    Lets pray

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Fantastic!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I think the plan is to include a new version of MDK with Axium on the new CD.

I am hoping, though to see the new Offering out first. The few clips I have seen are beautiful:

But ST developed as well, as this recent version shows, from Chile:

Last edited by Dana5140; 03-14-2014 at 07:41 AM.

On a related topic, what's everyone's opinions of the Offering albums?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Don't let the horns put you off MDK; when they come in it's like the twilight of the gods!
    Word!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm going to differ from everyone else and suggest that, if you can get hold of it, the best "starter" album would be the live TRILOGIE AU TRIANON - this is the essential trilogy of Theusz Hamtaahk (I'm not going to try to get the accents right), Wurdah Itah, and Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh all in one package, beautifully performed, with Vander's drums out front where they belong.

This was my Magma starter, and I wholly concur. The music is great, the performance is strong, and it is recorded well. It will carry you a long while too. Just dive right in, if you have the cash.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    On a related topic, what's everyone's opinions of the Offering albums?
    Was actually listening to the first Offering album the other day. I'm still getting familiar with it, as the box set is a lot to take in, but there's some very enjoyable music there. Nothing too crazy or difficult for someone who likes Magma, but it is definitely a different thing. Less intense and perhaps more accessible. I'm trying to work through them all.

Yeah, the DVD of the Trianon Trilogie (or however it's officially billed on the cover) is fantastic. Apart from the Reims Opera House release, this has my favorite version of MDK. I love the extended intro and coda that appear in this arrangement. I also prefer this version of Theusz Hamtaahk over the one on the Mythes Et Legendes Epok I DVD.

All from Trianon
    No, those are actually from Le Triton, and are from the Mythes Et Legendes DVD's, from 2005. The Trianon recordings were at a different venue (more a small theater, whereas Le Triton looks to be more of a jazz club) and are from, I believe, 2000.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I think the plan is to include a new version of MKD with Axium on the new CD.
    If true, my enthusiasm took a bit of a hit.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Klingon Opera you say???

well, I've only got 6 albums (the top 6 mentioned in this thread so far) and IMO you have the best one (Udu Wudu)
    You wont find that same exact mix of Symph/Fusion/Avant on the others... Kontarkozs is a bit more stiff and Attahk is a bit more accessible but they are the next best 2 compared to the masterpiece that is Udu Wudu. Live Hhai is pretty cool for a live album (I don't generally like live albums as much as studio)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

chalkpie

Yeah man....this set is up there for my favorite Magma.

I think the plan is to include a new version of MDK with Axium on the new CD.
    They did re-record "Riah Sahiltaahk", and, along with a couple of new pieces and "Axium", this is (apparently) going to be
    the next CD. Also in the pipeline : the Offering DVD (and - possibly - a Vander solo DVD and a tribute to Michel Graillier, all filmed at le Triton).

Yep, knew that about the clips, but was just posting two clips I love for the Epok series, sorry for not making it clear.

As to Offering, it is very different, but there is some spectacular music there, including the incredible Another Day (all 45 minutes of it), Earth, Joia, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    They did re-record "Riah Sahiltaahk".
    One question, "why?"

Just wanted to follow up with a big thanks to everyone who responded to my Magma thread and gave me some great recommendations. After doing a lot of previewing on youtube the big winners are Wurdah Itah, Attahk, and Kohntarkosz so I'll be going after those...I actually think I like Wurdah Itah better than Udu Wudu, though De Futura still remains my favourite piece of Magma madness!
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, those are actually from Le Triton, and are from the Mythes Et Legendes DVD's, from 2005. The Trianon recordings were at a different venue (more a small theater, whereas Le Triton looks to be more of a jazz club) and are from, I believe, 2000.
    I would LOVE to get an audio copy only of these shows. A whole cd set release would be killer. These versions are all so good.