Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pono Music

Article on Yahoo this morning detailing a blind comparison test that may or may not be tainted depending upon your view of ability to discern audio quality and the use of a Radio Shack A/B switch. Just thought I would share.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/it-was-on...496883039.html

I received a Beep just before Xmas, but since it currently can only play Spotify and Rhapsody, I haven't used it yet. Music Library support is promised in the coming month. .

https://www.thisisbeep.com/
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Article on Yahoo this morning detailing a blind comparison test that may or may not be tainted depending upon your view of ability to discern audio quality and the use of a Radio Shack A/B switch. Just thought I would share.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/it-was-on...496883039.html
    Yep, look back a page.

They liked the compressed iphone files because they were probably louder.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Well, this is odd. I downloaded the PONO player because I figure one of these days I'll try some of their HD tracks. I was surprised. Unlike iTunes and Winamp, it recognized damn near every album in my library, including the boots. I had all of these set up in my Windows Media Player and maybe it's just better at siphoning the information that the other players but still, no one else has come close and I've tried a lot of media players. For example, there's a Herbie Hancock album that Gracenote absolutely refused to give me cover art for. I picked a square image of a naked woman facing a seashore and pasted it in WMP. PONO went ahead and picked that art. And it did the same on all my boots and ROIOs.

The thing sounds great. While scrolling through I somehow clicked on a Brubeck track and it gave my office system a workout. Fuck you iTunes and your obsession with MP3s, this is the way to build a music player.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    You’ve got to admit it: The argument for the Pono Player sure is appealing — that we don’t know what we’ve been missing in our music.

Unfortunately, it isn’t true.

I’m 51 and a former professional musician. I know how to listen. But when I bought Pono’s expensive remastered songs and compared them with the identical songs on my phone, I couldn’t hear any difference whatsoever.
    Not really surprising at all. It's a long ways from the first time that double blind tests have debunked the higher rez myth.

And for a PORTABLE player (well, semi) -- even more absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Right - PONO preys on (one of) the most nefarious of music industry practices, trying to convince people to buy their entire collection again, at an inflated price
    Promoted by guys who haven't scraped the bottom of the charts in decades.