Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- new band w/Jean-Luc Ponty?

This thread made me try to remember all the whoppers Jon has told over the years about upcoming projects...

Most have been mentioned already, but it is my imagination, or did Jon actually say he was writing an opera with Sherman Hemsley?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    This thread made me try to remember all the whoppers Jon has told over the years about upcoming projects...

Most have been mentioned already, but it is my imagination, or did Jon actually say he was writing an opera with Sherman Hemsley?
    Well, seeing that Sherman is dead...
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just noticed that Anderson is doing one of his acoustic evenings next month at BB King's. I could actually get to that - I haven't seen Jon since the Union tour!
    I'll be there; think it's my fourth time seeing him in this setting. Always a joy, always gets emotional for me. Hearing the entire room sing the "Diddups" from ISAGP with Jon singing the "Give Peace A Chance" etc. gave me goosebumps. The "Olias" pieces are a thrill too, and of course "Soon" sends shivers. Interestingly, I'll be seeing YES in Atlantic City the night before. Perhaps they'll hit the Big Apple before they head down south for the cruise. One can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    setlists from recent shows to see what kind of material he does?
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jon-an...x-bc2add2.html (Lot's of great videos from this and the TX show on youtube. Think I posted them on the Jon w/ Transatlantic thread.

I am a huge JLP fan and have been fortunate to have seen him 7 or 8 times over the decades. This collaboration would be fine by me, wonder who else would be in the band? Again, one can dream...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

what about Phil?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I guess I'm in the camp where this sounds wonderful... but I'll believe it when I see it.. the deal with Wakeman and Rabin sounded wonderful... the complete boxset from years ago sounded wonderful.. the album with Igor sounded wonderful.. etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Ponty seems like a no-nonsense kind of guy, so I can't imagine he'd be involved if this is merely a bit of Jon Anderson whimsy.
    Agree with all of this. I used to be a major JA fan - bought every solo album and collaboration that he did. I am still a huge JLP fan. The combo of them working together - as in really in a room recording together - sounds really appealing to me and am anxious to hear the end result. Unfortunately, I am firmly in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." Anderson just has this solid track record now of announcing all of these pretty cool musical endeavors, but I am conditioned at this point to expect nothing from them. If it happens, though, it will be an auto-buy for me.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    All the stuff Anderson talks about has come out...every note. He has just made the decision to release all of his new music psychically onto the astral plane where only the truly enlightened can hear it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I guess this means we might as well stop waiting for the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman project, then?
    I've read recent quotes from all 3 of them. They ALL say they're still in to it. I think the one holding it back now is reportedly Rick who is busy this entire year of 2014 with his Journey/King Arthur/etc... tours... Of course, by next year I'm sure Rabin will be busy with another soundtrack, Jon with a thousand projects or maybe a purported Yes reunion...

Best chance of hearing any finished material from this trio is likely a few tracks as their part of the upcoming 2016 release of Union 2. I bet you can come up with many other possibilities of who else will contribute to that onion. Jonathan Elias will return for production duties...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Hemsley was working on an opera and had approached Anderson; Anderson said yes, but doesn't appear to have done anything significant on the project.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Best chance of hearing any finished material from this trio is likely a few tracks as their part of the upcoming 2016 release of Union 2. I bet you can come up with many other possibilities of who else will contribute to that onion. Jonathan Elias will return for production duties...
    Anderson has recently recorded a few tracks with Elias/Jimmy Haun/Michael Sherwood... but then that project stalled and Anderson's off doing something else.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Anderson has recently recorded a few tracks with Elias/Jimmy Haun/Michael Sherwood... but then that project stalled and Anderson's off doing something else.

Henry
    So hard not to make a snarky comment here.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And Jon has theatre on his plate too...(from his website)-

**I'm searching for an experienced and knowledgeable Theatrical Agent to help me realize my dreams. I’ve written Musicals, Children's Musicals, Dance Theatre and other works over the years and it's time for them to be seen and heard. I need a fellow dreamer who can be honest with me, and help guide me to the people who can help see these wonderful projects to fruition.

love and 'light'
    Jon **
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

And for those in Colorado, Jon will be performing tomorrow, Friday the 14th -
    http://www.wheeleroperahouse.com/eve...l/jon-anderson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

**I'm searching for an experienced and knowledgeable Theatrical Agent to help me realize my dreams. I’ve written Musicals, Children's Musicals, Dance Theatre and other works over the years and it's time for them to be seen and heard. I need a fellow dreamer who can be honest with me, and help guide me to the people who can help see these wonderful projects to fruition.

love and 'light'
    Jon **
    What Scott said in #33...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yawn
    I just love your optimism.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Well to be fair to the naysayers on here Jon does say a lot of things and start a lot of things that never seem to see the light of day(some do but most don't seem to)so I too will have to say I'll believe it when I see it. That said I am rooting for him. I'm seeing him live next month so it will be interesting to see if he mentions this.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

**I'm searching for an experienced and knowledgeable Theatrical Agent to help me realize my dreams. I’ve written Musicals, Children's Musicals, Dance Theatre and other works over the years and it's time for them to be seen and heard. I need a fellow dreamer who can be honest with me, and help guide me to the people who can help see these wonderful projects to fruition, and isn't in a hurry to get paid.

love and 'light'
    Jon **

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What Scott said in #33...
    Sorry. Couldn't resist this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I just love your optimism.
    I consider myself to be a realist.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Tales from Enigmatic Oceans.

Actually, I'd buy that.
    Ok dude, that was pretty good.....I'd buy it too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jon - Luc

So.....basically:

2014 Jean-Luc Ponty forms group with Jon Anderson
    2015 Jean-Luc Ponty forms group with Benoit David
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

love and 'light'
    Jon **
    And then there's the CHAGALL musical ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    So.....basically:

2014 Jean-Luc Ponty forms group with Jon Anderson
    2015 Jean-Luc Ponty forms group with Benoit David
    Wait, didn't this happen?

http://marchoffman.com/press/tag/nc-jazz/
    **His inspirations for various tracks ranged from Neal Hefti to David Benoit and Jean Luc Ponty.**

Nevermind.

So hard not to make a snarky comment here.

And yet you made absolutely no comment whatsoever in the thread where the lead singer from Banco died(which was a three page thread). My point being if you can not say something in one thread why not be silent in other threads instead of making unproductive comments(something you have accused others of doing ironically).

Anyway, yeah I'd love to see this pan out. I'm not surprised Jon is a fan. I know most of the Yes guys were fans of fusion back in the day. I'd be curious to see who else is in the band too.

And yet you made absolutely no comment whatsoever in the thread where the lead singer from Banco died(which was a three page thread). My point being if you can not say something in one thread why not be silent in other threads instead of making unproductive comments(something you have accused others of doing ironically).
    1) I'm not that familiar with Banco, so I stay out of those threads (until I get around to checking them out, of course).
    2) It's really not my style, generally, to post something negative in a thread about someone's death, unless that someone was a horrible human being
    3) Are my comments really that unproductive? Any more than anyone else's? Am I saying anything that isn't true? I just find it very amusing that Anderson talks about all of these projects and none of them ever come to fruition. To me, that shouldn't be immune from criticism.

Anyway, yeah I'd love to see this pan out. I'm not surprised Jon is a fan. I know most of the Yes guys were fans of fusion back in the day. I'd be curious to see who else is in the band too.
    I'd love to see it pan out, too. But I gave up getting excited about a Jon Anderson project a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    And then there's the CHAGALL musical ;-)
    Big O recently posted the Chagall release.. still haven't made time to listen to it.. so I cannot comment on quality..

It's really not my style, generally, to post something negative in a thread about someone's death, unless that someone was a horrible human being
    Well, wouldn't that make it a positive statement, then?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saddest thing about all this is that the incredible Return to Forever lineup with Ponty seems to have bitten the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Saddest thing about all this is that the incredible Return to Forever lineup with Ponty seems to have bitten the dust.
    Unless...that's the rest of the band. One can dream.