Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Steven Wilson Album Details

New Steven Wilson Album Details

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-details/

i'm cautiously optimistic...Luminol doesn't do much for me as did the live-studio clips...i still say replace Minnemann (who to me is more of a speed player [his out-of-place ride work on the DVD is a bit much i think]) with Harrison add Barbieri on samples and Porcupine Tree isn't exactly missed/Wilson can still DO that material live...and better!

I haven't really followed Wilson's solo career, but the idea of Guthrie Govan + Nick Beggs has me intrigued.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

From his FB page:
    The new album by Steven Wilson and band “The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)” will be released on Kscope on 25th February. The album was written between January-July and recorded in Los Angeles in September with Steven’s current band line up of Guthrie Govan – lead guitar, Nick Beggs – bass guitar, Marco Minnemann – drums, Adam Holzman – keyboards, Theo Travis – saxophone / flute and engineered by legendary producer/engineer Alan Parsons. More details on StevenWilsonHQ.com -

I'm looking forward to this. Add whatever kind of adverbs, adjectives and hyperbole you want to that sentence.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I haven't really followed Wilson's solo career, but the idea of Guthrie Govan + Nick Beggs has me intrigued.
    Have you seen this, Scott?

Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-details/

i'm cautiously optimistic...Luminol doesn't do much for me as did the live-studio clips...i still say replace Minnemann (who to me is more of a speed player [his out-of-place ride work on the DVD is a bit much i think]) with Harrison add Barbieri on samples and Porcupine Tree isn't exactly missed/Wilson can still DO that material live...and better!
    If you read my interview with Steven from back in September, he made a couple of very important points (whether or not you like Marco; I do) that suggest otherwise:

1. The music he is writing for his solo projects is not music that he feels the members of Porcupine Tree would want to play:
    "I think the difference is that I would never ask the guys in Porcupine Tree to play music that I did not feel they would enjoy playing," says Wilson. "Whereas the difference, when you're hiring guys, is that although you still want them to enjoy playing the music, because they know it's my thing, they are more willing to try their hand at something else. Sort of like, 'You know, it's not what I'm into, but you know what? I'll go with it and I'll play it.'

"When you have a band that's been together as long as Porcupine Tree, there are all sorts of internal politics, and I simply wouldn't want to be performing something with them if I didn't think they were enjoying it," Wilson continues. "By definition, that then becomes the band sound, and although that is limiting, I use the word in the sense that it can also be positive. Porcupine Tree has a very distinct sound which people instantly recognize, and that sound comes from what we can all agree to play. Another way of putting it might be to say, if you took an artist like Frank Zappa, can you imagine a catalog that eclectic being made ever by the same group of musicians? That sort of democracy is just not possible. Only a solo artist could create such an eclectic catalog. In many respects, he's been my role model—to be able to be in a situation where I can surprise people with my next move. I think that's the difference. I mean, this is a band, but it's not a band [laughs]; and this time I'm going to keep it that way."
    2. While trying to say it in the nicest possible way, he also suggests that, with the exception of Harrison, the members of Porcupine Tree would not be able to play much of the music he's written for his solo albums (and especially the new record, which was very much written with and for this particular group of players in mind).

3. With his new band, more than ever, Wilson is interested in improvisation, something that hasn't been what PT has been about since it's early years:
    Suddenly it all came home to me again that, other than in the very beginning, when it was more psychedelic, and there was a little bit of improvisation going on, Porcupine Tree had become quite regimented, quite clinical. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing. That's the sound of the band. But I realized that I was missing something in my own music, which made me fall in love with a lot of these bands. And not just progressive bands, but some of the Kraut Rock bands, for example, with that spiritual quality—the improvisation, the living for the moment.
    4. When Wilson suggests others in PT are not at the level to perform this new music, he includes himself, so he's not suggesting he's any better than they are. What he is saying is he can, as a writer, compose music that requires more advanced musicians to perform it and, in doing so, it's also raising his own game as a player:
    "One of the reasons why think it doesn't happen in the rock- and pop- music world is that the musicians are just not good enough, and I include myself in that category," Wilson admits. "If I was in a band of people all at my level, there would be no way we would consider making a record like this, in this way. I think that's another thing that was brought home to me by working on all those records [surround remixes]: how good the bands were and how they could do it. This band can definitely do it; I'm going to be in the control room a lot of the time for these sessions—I'm not even going to be playing. I'm writing the material, and I'll sing the material, but I'm going to be taking more of a director's role a lot of the time because they're way better musicians, and in a way, I have always dreamed of being in this position. Zappa was so good at it; his players were always much better musicians than he was. He had the ideas, and he wrote the music, but he got other people to play it who were better at playing it than he was. At the same time, it was kind of mutually beneficial; they all enjoyed playing music by the guy who had the ideas—those fantastic ideas.

"What this has done is make me raise my game as a writer," Wilson concludes. "Because the stuff I've written for this band to play—I mean, it's not complicated, but it's more complex than anything I've written before—I think that to be able to write for musicians of this caliber does make me start to think, really, at the very peak of what I'm capable of imagining and writing. That's been great to challenge myself. What can I write that Marco will actually find difficult to play? Not a lot. I'm not trying to suggest I'm writing difficult stuff just for the sake of it, because I really loathe that whole concept of complexity for its own sake. But at the same time, I like stuff that works on both levels. I like good songs that also have a level of intricacy, which means you can appreciate them from a musical perspective as well. And that's something I'm definitely doing for this record that I've never been able to do before. I mean, Gavin [Harrison, Porcupine Tree drummer] is extraordinary, but myself, Richard [Barbieri, keyboardist] and Colin [Edwin, bassist], are all more restricted in terms of our musical technique, so we have to limit ourselves in terms of what we can play and what we can pull off in a live context. With this band, it's a whole different ballgame, and I'm loving that."
    Personally, I can't wait for the new record; having seen the group one (without Guthrie) and been knocked out, the idea of a record written for these guys means it could well top what he's already done.

Best!
    John

Great stuff, John! Thanks for sharing.

Matt - no, I haven't seen that yet. I'll have to check it out sometime.

The more I read about this, the more interested I'm getting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's SW. I'm totally in. Autobuy. All hands on deck.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Most probably followed by a tour. Looking forward to see Mr. Wilson live again! his shows are always thoroughly entertaining!

Robert

Looking forward to this one! I liked Insurgentes and really liked Grace For Drowning, I think this one will be the biggie.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

PT or solo, it doesn't matter to me. It's SW, the new Robert Fripp. Whatever he does just turns into prog gold. I haven't missed ANY performance he's done (whether PT or solo) in Los Angeles since first seeing PT in 2005. But I'm again still hoping for a return to PT, possibly in 2014? I just picked up the new Octane Twisted live album, which is simply an awesome, blistering performance. Some of the best live PT I've ever heard IMO. And I sense from listening that the band had an idea that a hiatus was coming. I believe SW's long-term plans musically have been laid out for quite some time now.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    PT or solo, it doesn't matter to me. It's SW, the new Robert Fripp.
    Fripp and Wilson should form a comedy act. And what would they call it...why "Frip-Wilson" of course! (I gonna send Kee-lah afta you!)

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Fripp and Wilson should form a comedy act. And what would they call it...why "Frip-Wilson" of course! (I gonna send Kee-lah afta you!)
    Do you like my avatar photo? Don't they look cute together? God and Jesus together? But they are martyrs to even less, or as 21st Century Schizoid men, nothing they got they really need? Gotta love em' both!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

John, that interview was stellar, really well done by both of you. One of the best ones Ive read involving Wilson for sure.
    I thought luminol was off the hook. Minnemann was sofa king good it was ridiculous. I thought he was perfect for the new direction. And dont get me wrong, I adore Harrisons playing, i try and buy anything hes involved with.

Wilsons site indicates a tour starting in March I think in Europe.

The album title kinda tips its hat to previous Alan Parsons projects. (Let's just hope that SW wasn't tempted into using the vocoder.)

I really like the music of PT but the last Steven Wilson Grace For Drowning is even better.

Grace-For-Drowning.jpg
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    John, that interview was stellar, really well done by both of you. One of the best ones Ive read involving Wilson for sure.
    Thanks, man, much appreciated, though the credit really belongs to Steven, who was ready to talk and let the conversation go wherever it wanted to. The original plan was for a 30-minute catching up kinda piece, but we started talking..and ninety minutes later we were done. As Anil, Sid and Aymeric will, I am sure, confirm, the best interviews are ones that don't feel like interviews. I mean, yes, you do your prep and you've got a bunch of questions, but if it goes right, it's really just a focused conversation that, as things continue and you quickly scan your questions, you realize you've covered most of them without ever actually asking them...plus a whole lot more.

It was a real treat to speak with him, that'll for sure.
    Thanks again,
    John

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Like GfD a lot and this band is a killer line-up. Love Govan and Minneman in Aristocrats, chops to die for, Beggs & Travis are also excellent. I'm very hopeful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Thanks, man, much appreciated, though the credit really belongs to Steven, who was ready to talk and let the conversation go wherever it wanted to. The original plan was for a 30-minute catching up kinda piece, but we started talking..and ninety minutes later we were done. As Anil, Sid and Aymeric will, I am sure, confirm, the best interviews are ones that don't feel like interviews. I mean, yes, you do your prep and you've got a bunch of questions, but if it goes right, it's really just a focused conversation that, as things continue and you quickly scan your questions, you realize you've covered most of them without ever actually asking them...plus a whole lot more.

It was a real treat to speak with him, that'll for sure.
    Thanks again,
    John
    OK that makes more sense (your interview which was good) and kind of confirms my suspicions/criticisms a bit? That being said i still prefer Harrison over Minnemann overall as far as drumming goes - and yes, before anyone goes there, i am familiar with M's solo stuff.

The more i read from SW the more he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders about all his approaches to making music in this world we live in...him, John Zorn, and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (although truth be told OR-L's experiments have been falling really short lately with all solo albums since Noctourniquet and Bosnian Rainbows)...from a sometimes wavering performing perspective but writing-wise, i have a huge amount of respect and admiration for all of them.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 11-29-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    Most probably followed by a tour.
    Most probably? Dates are already up for this spring.

Looking forward to this new cd ..big time!

The new album "The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)" is now available to pre-order in 4 different formats from Burning Shed:

The deluxe edition comes in the form of a 128 page book, illustrated by Hajo Mueller, and features lyrics and ghost stories. It includes the 6 track 55 minute album on one CD, an exclusive additional CD of demo versions (which themselves are full band studio recordings effectively presenting a full alternate version of the album, with different performances, solos and ideas), a Blu-Ray including high resolution 96K/24bit stereo, 96/24 instrumental versions, a 5.1 surround sound mix also at 96/24, photo galleries and additional artwork, and a studio documentary filmed by Lasse Hoile (some of which has already been previewed on the SW youtube channel). A DVDV is also included for those without Blu-Ray players, although this does not include the instrumental versions and the 5.1 mix is a DTS compressed version. This limited edition 4 disc deluxe book edition is presently available for a special early bird price.

There are also standalone Blu-Ray, CD/DVDV and 2LP vinyl editions.

Dutch and German fans; please note that the deluxe edition will also be available shortly from local mail order companies, so if you hang on for details on that you may save a lot on international shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    [I]The new album "The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)" is now available to pre-order in 4 different formats from Burning Shed:

---> Insert insane number of options here <---
    Steven Wilson is supposed to be a student of classic prog bands like King Crimson, but clearly he hasn't learned the first lesson:

Hold back alternate versions of your albums as long as possible so as to maintain a steady reissue strategy that will provide an income for the rest of your life.

I'm not going to bother with that 4-disc set. I doubt I would listen to the demos and instrumental mixes more than once or twice. I'll probably do the CD/DVD version. My Grace For Drowning is the standalone blu-ray but I kind of miss having the CD. For one thing, I tend to forget about it when scanning the shelves because it is with the DVDs in a different spot - silly, perhaps, but true.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Whew! $26 to ship the super deluxe edition? Man, I got really think about this one.