Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley Clarke: Original Album Classics boxed set

I have all his great albums (already mentioned) on LP or CD. Let's not forget If This Bass Could Only Talk and East River Drive, the former being at the top of the list for me, which is a long list. The Rite Of Strings is a lovely album. Stanley returns to Yoshi's Oakland April 4,5, 6. Stanley continues to put out great music, play with top notch musicians and is most definitely a bass god! Plus, Alembics rule!

"Life is just a game" (from School Days) was my introduction to fusion. I caught this by chance, in all its mutant disco glory, on the radio (!) and - bingo, I was hooked. Soon thereafter : Mahavishnu, RTF, etc.
    Another cool Stanley Clarke album I'd like to mention : Live 1976-77 (Epic, 1991) : all the hits (including two RTF tunes), and a studio outtake of "Desert song".
    And cf also this (a pro video from 1979) :
    http://www.concertvault.com/stanley-...-1_101994.html
    Last edited by unclemeat; 03-16-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Really enjoyed the first three discs. Will be spinning them some more, and it's always nice to expand the fusion section of my shelves. The last two won't be getting much air time.

I've also got Stanley's first album on the way (Children Of Forever), since it was not included in this set and looks to be another good one... I have no doubt I'll like it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Really enjoyed the first three discs. Will be spinning them some more, and it's always nice to expand the fusion section of my shelves. The last two won't be getting much air time.

I've also got Stanley's first album on the way (Children Of Forever), since it was not included in this set and looks to be another good one... I have no doubt I'll like it!
    I heard Children Of Forever once from a friend about 40 years ago. I think it's mostly acoustic and somewhat like the first 2 RTF albums. I may be wrong though....40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I heard Children Of Forever once from a friend about 40 years ago. I think it's mostly acoustic and somewhat like the first 2 RTF albums. I may be wrong though....40 years.
    It's not Prog Fusion at all... it's straight ahead Jazz
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Listening to it now for the first time and it's very good. I'd put it close to the 'Essential' category for RTF fans... the playing is very tasty! (How could it not be with that lineup...) The vocals are what drag it down a half a point for me. Not that they're bad, I just tend to prefer purely instrumental jazz/fusion. Pretty solid album though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Unlike the quartet versions of RTF and Stan's s/t (Brown) album and onward, there is absolutely NO Rock whatsoever on Children of Forever... it is a straight Jazz affair.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?