Thread: Edgar Winter - Entrance

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Edgar Winter - Entrance

Anyone else care for Edgar Winter's debut album, "Entrance?" I think it's been discussed here occasionally on the main page, because side one sort of has a "prog suite" think going on. What I'd really like to know is why does it sound so Todd Rundgrenish? Did Todd have anything to do with it, or is that just a coincidence, or just my own invention? I like the dual meaning of the album title as well.

Great album! My cousin Georgie played bass on the follow up - Edgar Winter's White Trash. Edgar gave us some great stuff & one of my fave ever live albums with "Roadwork."
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I even noticed a bit of 'Frankenstein' in there...
    "Frankenstein" actually goes way back to when Edgar played with Johnny and his first band in 1969-70. They did a jam they called "Double Drum Song," that was the same riff that eventually became "Frankenstein."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone else care for Edgar Winter's debut album, "Entrance?"
    It's been 3 or 4 decades since I've heard it, but I remember being very impressed when I did. It'd be interesting to hear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    My cousin Georgie played bass on the follow up - Edgar Winter's White Trash.
    Entrance is a solid debut, but this ^^^^ is the one! I caught Edgar a few times back in the days, including once with his brother and another time with ELP.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Coincidentally bought Japanese version of this a month or so ago, and it really holds up, given I'd not heard it in decades. It, plus White Trash & Roadwork are real gems.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone agree about the Todd Rundgren-ish sound to Entrance? I would have posted this on the main forum except that it has that pseudo-prog sound.