Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Diss tracks" aren't just for hip-hop (Brett Kull vs. Chris Buzby)

Spock's Beard song "Rearranged" is not exactly a direct dig at Neal Morse, but it's obviously asking "what could have been" if he hadn't chosen to leave the band just when Snow was gaining serious momentum.

If anyone wants to check out more from the two Still/Always Almost albums, I've uploaded several more songs from each and put them into a playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...vk4oJWMwIPBsDR

There's actually quite a bit of diversity among the songs. I think the song "Know It No" is absolutely brilliant and if I had my druthers it would've been a massive hit... It's almost a cross between country and grunge, with that banjo and harmonica, and it has a killer chorus (love the two part harmony). I love how the first half is sung by Brett, and the second by Ray when things start to get heavy. Definitely a major grunge vibe.

"Bye Bye Dreary Kitty" is an absolute ear worm that is melodically infectious. "Loveless" is a heavy, Zepplin-ish jam with some absolutely amazing powerhouse vocals from Ray. "Silence and Rumor" is what I think is one of the best songs Brett has ever written. So heartfelt and emotional, and lyrically brilliant.

"While I Was Away" is my personal favorite song the band recorded. It's whimsical, quirky, very unique and definitely has more than a hint of proggy-ness toward the end (perhaps a preview of what was to come). I absolutely loved this band, and would be over the moon if they were to record that third album that's been rumored for years.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Spock's Beard song "Rearranged" is not exactly a direct dig at Neal Morse, but it's obviously asking "what could have been" if he hadn't chosen to leave the band just when Snow was gaining serious momentum.
    I'm kind of shocked that the members of SB didn't see the Morse departure coming. I mean, he was going deeper and deeper into his conversion, I'm sure in that over-zelous faze (I'm not being critical) he was not the easiest to deal with. And I'm sure they would be able to tell his interests were changing, to the point where naking more Spock's music wasn't an option. But they were very surprised by his departure. Oh well, at least they managed to continued.

TEARS FOR FEARS had a "diss" song on their "Elemental" album called "Fish Out of Water".

Back to the original topic, here's an interesting piece of lost footage... Chris Buzby talking to his old bandmates in the parking lot after their performance at ProgScape '96. For people who supposedly didn't like each other, they sure seemed pretty cordial. This was at the height of the animosity, and before Brett wrote the song in the original post. I guess everything was hidden beneath the surface. For anyone wondering, this was an easter egg on the DVD of Still's ProgScape '96 performance I acquired, I didn't raid Peter Renfro's home movie collection. Since it was on the DVD, I'm assuming it's ok to put out there.

Sorry to jump in late but I have just reconnected w/Prog Ears. Geoff L. here. Sorry to dissipate the conjecture about 'Tread On', (and I hope I can be forgiven for being a voice against some of the disinformation surrounding this fractious period of the "Echolyn history"....but I was caught up in it....I feel a need to hop in, in threads like this.

Anyhow.....from what I remember there was no personal animosity between 'our boys', when echolyn fractured, way back when....on either side of the fracture. Opposing camps immediately formed for Still or FG as if there was some sort of competition, about who had the better "new band"...I remember being completely hammered sitting on the stage at Orion in Baltimore after a Finneus set, and being grilled about whose band was better, or more prog, etc. I remember being really drunk after making the rounds of Fells Point that day...and being put in the position of "defending something", whatever it was... since I was the last man standing.
    ANYWAY...to get to the root of this thread, the lyrics of this song are not directed toward Chris AT ALL. The lyrics were inspired by an interview that Brett read, with a member of a very prominent prog band most popular in the 70s, and how they were continuing to innovate in the 90s and "push the boundaries of music", and somesuch bullshit...because they clearly weren't.
    And it can't be any surprise that at this juncture, after As The World came out and sank like a stone,that Brett, Paul, and Ray were chafing a bit at being put in the prog pigeonhole. The visceral reaction to being dropped from the major label that signed them, and the split in the band that followed, was a double fucking gut-punch.

To get back to the subject....

There may have been songs/lyrics thrown back and forth at that time. but you know what? It's none of our business. I just had to hop in on this one because I know it isn't what might be thought.

....and I'm dumbfounded that no one has mentioned Lennon's "How Do You Sleep", one of the most cutting 'dis tracks' of all time.

Joni Mitchell is certainly no fan of Jackson Browne if 'Not to Blame' is any indication.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    ....and I'm dumbfounded that no one has mentioned Lennon's "How Do You Sleep", one of the most cutting 'dis tracks' of all time.
    Perhaps it will help your shock to check post #3!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Perhaps it will help your shock to check post #3!
    Dude...I don't read...I glance. I musta missed it. Makes it just that much more fun to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Sorry to jump in late but I have just reconnected w/Prog Ears. Geoff L. here. Sorry to dissipate the conjecture about 'Tread On', (and I hope I can be forgiven for being a voice against some of the disinformation surrounding this fractious period of the "Echolyn history"....but I was caught up in it....I feel a need to hop in, in threads like this.

Anyhow.....from what I remember there was no personal animosity between 'our boys', when echolyn fractured, way back when....on either side of the fracture. Opposing camps immediately formed for Still or FG as if there was some sort of competition, about who had the better "new band"...I remember being completely hammered sitting on the stage at Orion in Baltimore after a Finneus set, and being grilled about whose band was better, or more prog, etc. I remember being really drunk after making the rounds of Fells Point that day...and being put in the position of "defending something", whatever it was... since I was the last man standing.
    ANYWAY...to get to the root of this thread, the lyrics of this song are not directed toward Chris AT ALL. The lyrics were inspired by an interview that Brett read, with a member of a very prominent prog band most popular in the 70s, and how they were continuing to innovate in the 90s and "push the boundaries of music", and somesuch bullshit...because they clearly weren't.
    And it can't be any surprise that at this juncture, after As The World came out and sank like a stone,that Brett, Paul, and Ray were chafing a bit at being put in the prog pigeonhole. The visceral reaction to being dropped from the major label that signed them, and the split in the band that followed, was a double fucking gut-punch.

To get back to the subject....

There may have been songs/lyrics thrown back and forth at that time. but you know what? It's none of our business. I just had to hop in on this one because I know it isn't what might be thought.
    Thanks for clarifying that.