Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The most burning question of the paranormal

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Well, now. Some of us have experienced things that seemed to be ghosts. I don't want to go into detail (it's kind of difficult for me), but I had an experience forty years or so ago that convinced me that there was _something_ out there. And it wasn't necessarily friendly.
    I'll have to slowly and timidly raise my hand to say I can offer an identical statement as this - in my 52 years on this planet, I have had several unrelated and unexplainable experiences as well - a few of them benign and totally unrelated (including one having to do with my father's death a few years back - my mother witnessed this as well so I knew it was not just my imagination) - but a few definitely more sinister experiences (including two related events spaced 45 years apart).

Having said that, I think that this infestation of 'ghosthunter' reality shows, and their so-called expert ghosthunters and mediums is just the biggest steaming heap o'bullshit (I totally disbelieve the 'orb' photo and spectral recording phenomena so frequently trotted out on these shows ). IMO these shows are no more credible than that flimflam con thats out there right now trotting out the Bigfoot corpse (and don't get me started on the Squatch hunters).

Even so, 'Celebrity Ghost Stories' is a guilty pleasure for me.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can tell it's actually clumps of melting snow dropping onto our roof from the pine tree (usually). I once worked in a tall building, and during a really unusually powerful storm, we heard some girders and whatnot creaking in the ceiling, but this ass was convinced he heard a kitten stuck in the ceiling mewing. So some people jump to things like "It's gotta be a ghost? I mean, what other solution is there?" long before other people would.
    I have no idea where things go when they die or if there are alternate dimensions, spirit planes, etc., but I do have a pretty good idea of how things work on *this* world. A translucent insubstantial apparation that can pass through walls and cannot be touched would have no mass and therefore would be prohibited by the laws of physics from causing any kinds of sounds due to contact with/manipulation of corporeal surfaces and objects. It's just the way it is. One can be certain that, whatever else it might be, none of the sounds one hears in an old house at night are being caused by ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I have no idea where things go when they die or if there are alternate dimensions, spirit planes, etc., but I do have a pretty good idea of how things work on *this* world. A translucent insubstantial apparation that can pass through walls and cannot be touched would have no mass and therefore would be prohibited by the laws of physics from causing any kinds of sounds due to contact with/manipulation of corporeal surfaces and objects. It's just the way it is. One can be certain that, whatever else it might be, none of the sounds one hears in an old house at night are being caused by ghosts.
    And to sorta/kinda agree with this position, all of my experiences have been of a visual nature, not involving sound - with two of the incidents, one was inadvertently captured on film (i.e., something was photographed on traditional film, and then something entirely unexpected appeared in the developed image that was not visible in that scene at the time the picture was taken), while the incident that was being witnessed by two persons - my mother and myself - was photographed, but did not appear on the ensuring digital image).

Er..did any of that make sense?
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 03-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    And to sorta/kinda agree with this position, all of my experiences have been of a visual nature, not involving sound - with two of the incidents, one was inadvertently captured on film (i.e., something was photographed on traditional film, and then something entirely unexpected appeared in the developed image that was not visable in that scene at the time the picture was taken), while the incident that was being witnessed by two persons - my mother and myself - was photographed, but did not appear on the ensuring digital image).

Er..did any of that make sense?
    If we reduce this to its most basic premise - is it possible for something to exist that we cannot see with our eyes - of course I'm saying "yes."

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > The most burning question of the paranormal

Who was Casper before he died?

I can't wait until Cozy finds this thread...

a dead child

thanks for the answers

I did not get a chance to reply before I went to a convention.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 03-15-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: garrotxa. just say it.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The most burning question of the paranormal is ...

...why do people continue to believe in this stuff?

because I was laying in bed, starting to drift off and something laughed into my ear. be rest assured it was NOT the Pomeranian...

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Oh man...that Ghost Adventurer dude is the biggest, over-dramatic, meathead on TV
    I agree...but God help me, I can't get enough of him, I love it. Fanstastic titilating entertainment.

"Can you see the wind?"
    "No"
    "Can you stop & catch the wind?"
    "No"
    'Yet you know it exists becasue you can feel it touch you?"
    "Yes"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I actually enjoy Ghost Adventurers - good clean spooky fun. My wife asked an important question of these shows though... why must they take place in the dark, in the wee hours? don't ghost haunt in the daytime? Since most of the interviews regarding the sightings/events report that they took place in daylight hours, why the need to do it at night and use nightvision cameras?
    I agree, great spooky entertainment. And I agree with your old lady, my three ghost experiences have all happened during daylight hours in lit rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    because I was laying in bed, starting to drift off and something laughed into my ear. be rest assured it was NOT the Pomeranian...
    That would be immediately questioned because of the part I bolded.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think most mediums are a sham... I mean, even the term "medium" is misleading; I've never seen one that wasn't at least an extra-large.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Oh man...that Ghost Adventurer dude is the biggest, over-dramatic, meathead on TV
    yes, that dude is a real drama queen.
    I liked them better when they first started out but now they're a tad too self-aware.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    "Can you see the wind?"
    "No"
    Maybe not, but you can see it's effects on things like flags and trees.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    "Can you stop & catch the wind?"
    "No"
    A sailboat and a windmill sure can.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maybe not, but you can see it's effects on things like flags and trees.

A sailboat and a windmill sure can.
    Furthermore, you can harvest wind, and, in the case of especially hot wind, you can build a political career on it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And you can smell wind.......

Wind?

You can break it
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Furthermore, you can harvest wind, and, in the case of especially hot wind, you can build a political career on it.
    let's not go there

at Chain

Maybe it was a "cheese" ghost that laughed in your ear.;-) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8NaJA_eCVu...eese_ghost.jpg

Yeah, been there. You're in that space where you're between REM sleep and the waking state, and someone SCREAMS in your ear . OUCH!

this was a very real laugh in a house I have heard my name called in before

this was a very real laugh in a house I have heard my name called in before
    My only point is that if you tell anyone you were half asleep when you hear a voice, they won't take it seriously.

Most folks are half asleep/during the r.e.m. period of their sleep when they can actually remember their dreams or manipulate them.

I'm just happy it's a laugh and not something terrifying or sinister. There's always next time. BOO! ;-)

In my house, I'm the Scully to my wife's Mulder. My wife wants to believe, I want the rational explanation. I'm not as bad as my sister-in-law, who has gone off the deep end of the skepticism movement, to the point where her evangelicalism of being an atheist is enough to turn an agnostic into a fundamentalist Muslim. You spend a Christmas with that bitch and there's not enough booze in the house. Nonetheless, I am continually amazed at the human tendency to embrace the supernatural when we face something that cannot be instantly explained. We always watch Ghost Adventures but I find it more of a comedy than anything else. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that shows EVPs are what these carnies say they are. Zac Bagans has fine collection of luxury sports cars now. I'm not sure how the Ghost Hunters spend their cash but I assume they're mortgage free as well.

I've seen some spooky stuff in my life, been in supposedly haunted places. And none of it has altered my position. Yeah, some things are unexplained. But it doesn't mean we have to fall back on to the Dark Ages for an explanation. It's all bullshit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, some things are unexplained. But it doesn't mean we have to fall back on to the Dark Ages for an explanation.
    This is pretty much how I feel. No different from Giorgio Tsoukalos and those Ancient Aliens guys. "We don't know who built the pyramids! Must have been aliens!"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally