Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Just a head's up reminder for those that enjoy science or a good series. The Neil deGrasse Tyson series of Cosmos airs this Sunday for those interested and might want to tape or DVR it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Sunday is my wedding anniversary. I hope the wife will understand if need a little me time.

DVR is set! I'm pretty stoked for this. Should be pretty cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Tyson is a much different man than Sagan, and his introduction of faith into the series gives me thoughts.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t...iniseries.html

(Please note: I'm not trying to agitate a discussion either way. I'm simply noting a stark difference in the perceived message delivered by the two hosts of this program.)

Certainly Slate is entitled to their opinion, and I won't come out on either side of what they say in deference to the rules of this forum.

I'll sit back and take this show in. And, yeah, the new effects should really be sweet.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Watched it, liked a lot of it, didn't like some of it. I loved it when Tyson spoke about the first time he met Sagan! Overall, I didn't learn anything new about the subject, but it wasn't a bad sequel... or remake. I might watch the next episode, too.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Certainly Slate is entitled to their opinion, and I won't come out on either side of what they say in deference to the rules of this forum.
    I didn't really see much opinion offered by Slate. Seemed like pretty straightforward reporting to me. I missed the opening episode last night.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It was ok. Was hoping for more actual pictures/video from Hubble/Voyager than all that animation. Maybe future eps.
    http://weather.aol.com/2012/06/12/amazing-space-photos/
    Last edited by Obscured; 03-10-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

^^ Really amazing photos. I "only" looked at the first 50 of them, BTW.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The opening episode from last night was just an hour, but worthwhile. Upgraded CG on a lot of the spaceship of the imagination scenes. Tyson covered a lot of the same ground that Sagan did in his series, so I'm wondering if this is just going to be an update of that or it's going to cover some new ground. Either way I'll watch it. Some new animation when talking about early scientist/astronomers, which some liked and others did not. It worked for me, and I think if you have children probably a good way to present historical science to them. All in all I enjoyed it. Also it shows on the National Geographic Channel, or on Sunday nights of Fox.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    While I love the idea of this series being resurrected, I thought the first episode was pretty boring. Every other "universe" show has covered that material many times over in the last few years. I understand that it was an intro episode for the series, but I ended up turning it off. I'll tune in again next week to try again. I also thought animated sections were kind of lame. I'd prefer to see a live-action re-enactment of history than cartoons, if they insist on them at all. DeGrasse Tyson also isn't my favorite. Michio Kaku is a bit over-exposed these days (at least by astrophysicist's standards), so my choice would have been Brian Green.

Anywho, I'm anxious to see what next week will be like.
    Chad

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Could have been better, could have been worse. I watched the entire original Cosmos series with Carl Sagan. I even own the hardcover Cosmos book by Carl. And I am a scientist. I realize the series is made to introduce cosmology to non-scientists, so I am not the target audience. But I love science and am always willing to watch anything on the subject, partly to see how the material is presented. I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and Carl Sagan, so for me the bar is set pretty high. I didn't learn anything new from the first episode. Some of it was well done, particularly the timeline/calendar. I didn't care for the animated sequences, and I already know how science was treated by the powers that be, several centuries ago. We're damn near back to that point again, sad to say. If such historical stories are needed, I prefer live action reenactment. Also annoying is that the program is on Fox, and that means it will be interrupted frequently by lame commercials (is there another kind?). I believe Carl Sagan's Cosmos was on PBS, so that it was uninterrupted. I found myself switching over to "The Good Wife" during commercials and forgetting to switch back.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

What crossed my mind while watching was that I wasn't really paying attention to a lot of the narrative when it got into the 'wonder of it all' and that thirty years ago I would have turned off the audio and played some early Pink Floyd while burning a bowl.

I'm happy to say I don't need to be in an altered state these days. I will continue to watch Cosmos for the visuals which are stunning. I like Tyson's sense of levity when he appears on shows like the Daily Show or After Midnight. Nerds are cool!

I can't tape it and I missed it but I'm pretty sure my mom taped it. I am very interested in this though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

While I don't think it will have the same impact as the original series did, it will still be great. Tyson is a great communicator.

Here is a great 10 minute clip of Tyson about science and religion. He gets to the crux of his opinion right at the end.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

i thought it was really good considering its a fox program in prime time. im glad they used the kiss method for this one because the general public needs to know more about science and the universe. those already interested know where to get thier fix. if even one creationist watched how they treated the guy who said the world was round it willbe worth it.

I watched it, but like others I found it a bit plodding. Doesn't help that I've seen dozens of others like it. But as far as this show reaching a new audience, it has way too many commercials in this ADD tv age to really grab new viewers interested in following up on the info contained therein m

I forgot about this... I own the original Cosmos series on DVD and read the book a couple of times. I always loved how Sagan mixed in history and philosophy with his astronomy. I also own 3 seasons of History Channel's "The Universe". I have to think that no new ground is being broken here?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Love "The Universe."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Love "The Universe."
    yeah, the History Channel used to be great before they put on all those bullshit reality shows

Was waiting for Stewie's voice in the animated sequences.

in this age we have easy access to all of the science we want on the internet and its futile to expect mainstream tv to be anything that will satisfy serious space freaks. its a different time than when sagan did his show. i still applaud fox for doing it and making it so that somebody like my wife could watch it and really enjoy it.

I watched it from my DVR last night. About 10 minutes worth ... then DELETE show and DELETE series recording.

There's just too many good shows worth watching for me to waste time on this childish dreck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

There's just too many good shows worth watching for me to waste time on this childish dreck.

Not sure I'd classify it as childish dreck.

After all, there are a heck of a lot of people out there that are not up on the latest evidence based, scientific findings. The show is not childish dreck for them.

Not to mention, there's only been one show aired so far. Of course the first show is going to be more rudimentary than what follows. There has to be a base to build from.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

What a shock!

Reality deniers in the US!

Seriously, I'm shocked.