Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Surprised they showed this at all, given deGrasse-Tyson's views on religion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Not sure I'd classify it as childish dreck.

After all, there are a heck of a lot of people out there that are not up on the latest evidence based, scientific findings. The show is not childish dreck for them.

Not to mention, there's only been one show aired so far. Of course the first show is going to be more rudimentary than what follows. There has to be a base to build from.
    agreed. And its not like they can go to YouTube and get the same info without having to sift a myriad of crackpot theories and outright fantasies like Nibiru, Saturn theory/planetary realignment and whatnot.

Re: Cosmos--ymmv, but I don't think it's dreck either. I look forward to see where the rest of the series goes.

Read a good article about evolution not being just a theory and explained the difference between just a theory and scientific theory. It's political, however, so I'll just paste the link if interested: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/02...n-just-theory/

Back when the first Cosmos was aired, there was a lot less choice of what to watch and not much out there really like it. 34 years later, we've gotten used to this kind of programming, so it doesn't seem as special. All I know is that the original Cosmos literally changed my life in more ways than one, and I'm giving this one every chance, too.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Re: Cosmos--ymmv, but I don't think it's dreck either. I look forward to see where the rest of the series goes.
    Yeah, there's only been one episode, and that was an introductory one.

Read a good article about evolution not being just a theory and explained the difference between just a theory and scientific theory. It's political, however, so I'll just paste the link if interested: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/02...n-just-theory/
    As soon as you here the words, "evolution is just a theory" come out of someone's mouth, you know immediately that they have no idea what the scientific method is, or what a theory actually is in the scientific realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    All I know is that the original Cosmos literally changed my life in more ways than one, and I'm giving this one every chance, too.
    Same here.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Music was a big part of the original Cosmos series. What about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Music was a big part of the original Cosmos series. What about this one?
    Meh

Pretty generic sounding soundtrack stuff designed to elicit awe.

Vangelis it's not.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Meh

Pretty generic sounding soundtrack stuff designed to elicit awe.

Vangelis it's not.
    Correct. And they dropped the ball there, because part of the appeal of the original series was the use modern pop music (such as Pink Floyd, Vangelis, & Larry Fast), along with recognizable classic music such as The Rite of Spring. Imagine, if they used some of the cooler new music of today as the backdrop to the visuals, it would have the same effect of attracting a younger audience. Perhaps the royalties nowadays are just too much.

More than half an hour in, all cartoons.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    More than half an hour in, all cartoons.
    I had to switch it off 30 minutes in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I wonder what people were expecting from this reboot. This kinda show isn't for the aficionado.

As soon as you here the words, "evolution is just a theory" come out of someone's mouth, you know immediately that they have no idea what the scientific method is, or what a theory actually is in the scientific realm.
    Same here.
    No reason to bring this up, other than to stir things a bit. I happen to be a Christian who does not have a problem with evolution, nor science in general. It's not an "either or" thing with me. Science doesn't threaten my faith any, its there to try and understand the physical universe. Christians shouldn't try and explain away science with our faith, and scientists should do the same, not trying to explain away religion with scientific theories. Enough said on the subject. Have not seen any of the new Cosmos, but I should check this out since I watched all of the original back when I was a kid.

Tomita was also used on the original Cosmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    ...and scientists should do the same, not trying to explain away religion with scientific theories...
    How do they try to "explain away religion with scientific theories"? Can you cite an example?

I mean, since you felt no reason for others to bring this up.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How do they try to "explain away religion with scientific theories"? Can you cite an example?

I mean, since you felt no reason for others to bring this up.
    I'm guessing he's talking about the expeditions to find Noah's Ark, attempts to scientifically explain the resurrection, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    May as well go on a Unicorn hunt.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm guessing he's talking about the expeditions to find Noah's Ark, attempts to scientifically explain the resurrection, etc.
    Well, see, my point is that that is not explaining away religion. It's explaining away stories that are attributed to religions. They don't attack religion as an institution. In fact, many scientists also practice faith and have found ways to reconcile it with science. But, when people try to deny scientific evidence of, say, dinosaurs, because a book tells them otherwise, the scientific community finds that it has to defend itself. And then they're accused of waging a "war on religion," when the war is actually on science.

The problem is when people take seriously the stories that were written to teach an illiterate public about their god. Parting of the Red Sea? Really? Noah's Ark? C'mon. Even my mother, a devout Roman Catholic, doesn't believe those stories.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I wonder what people were expecting from this reboot. This kinda show isn't for the aficionado.
    I thought it was going to explore the "Cosmos" further as since the original series aired we have launched numerous probes/cameras/satellites into deep space. Really was hoping for photos at least as good as the ones I posted a link to here earlier. Wasn't expecting the animation or talk of evolution/natural selection while ancient videos of dogs playing or bear fishing for salmon are shown. At the very end of last night's episode, they talked of some actual space stuff, went to a commercial and came back empty as the show ended.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I thought it was going to explore the "Cosmos" further as since the original series aired we have launched numerous probes/cameras/satellites into deep space. Really was hoping for photos at least as good as the ones I posted a link to here earlier. Wasn't expecting the animation or talk of evolution/natural selection while ancient videos of dogs playing or bear fishing for salmon are shown. At the very end of last night's episode, they talked of some actual space stuff, went to a commercial and came back empty as the show ended.
    Kinda like watching the Olympics on NBC and expecting actual competitions.

I'm enjoying the program, but I could do with a little less "acting" from Tyson. The production is chintzier than I expected.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    May as well go on a Unicorn hunt.
    You won't find them, they lost their tickets to the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    You won't find them, they lost their tickets to the Ark.
    Tix still available-

Having never watched the original in 1980, this show is the type of thing that I know I would enjoy but rarely find the time to see. The first episode kinda bored me and I thought the narrative was too corny. But, if they are using Sagan's original show as a model, I will accept it in the spirit it is trying to honor.

I'm happy to say that the second installment was more focused and held my attention, especially when it got past the cartoons and showed the "water bears" and proteins walking along the double helix. Man! There hasn't been a show where I actually looked up words to find more articles about in recent memory. Everything other than the cartoons awakens my inner nerd. I've always loved seeing microscopic pictures and HD space footage.

Still, the show kinda drags for me because the original show on PBS was a full hour with no commercials. This particular series on FOX has more commercials than usual it seems. The animation isn't that big of a distraction for me.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973