Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

I've been enjoying this show quite a bit. It's very interesting. If the series is ever released on dvd, and I imagine it will be, I'm definitely buy it.

Thanks to the way my room-mate's Uverse programming works, I can watch Game of Thrones and then change the channel to Cosmos afterward. I go from the ultimate fantasy to the ultimate reality in two hours.

This was released today. Picked up the blu-ray for myself and a DVD copy for my Dad for Father's Day, since he missed a lot of it while being in the hospital.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The last episode was very good.

It will fall on deaf ears.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yeah, it was enjoyable, but I missed a few episodes. I'll probably have to catch them on DVD. I read this article today, which you might enjoy reading about the climate change issue: http://www.motherjones.com/environme...ew-republicans

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, it was enjoyable, but I missed a few episodes. I'll probably have to catch them on DVD. I read this article today, which you might enjoy reading about the climate change issue: http://www.motherjones.com/environme...ew-republicans
    Yes, this is a good article. Even though it's on a political site, I would advise any readers to look beyond the politics of the point he's trying to make. There was an opportunity to add constructive dialogue to the issue. But, by taking a course of denial, obstruction and misleading propaganda, those who oppose taking action did themselves no favors and have now, to a great degree, marginalized themselves. A lesson in bad tactics. Bottom line is that blind opposition gets you nothing. Constructive involvement is something from which we all can benefit.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I agree Ron, it's too bad it has to come down to political lines, but after a while the nattering nabobs of negativity spread so much deceit, it's bound to come back and haunt them (maybe). I imagine their tactic is: we don't believe this, until they get back in office and then, yes, we have evidence of this (maybe), and then they are the ones to correct everything. Frustrating, it's a grey beard tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I agree Ron, it's too bad it has to come down to political lines, but after a while the nattering nabobs of negativity spread so much deceit, it's bound to come back and haunt them (maybe). I imagine their tactic is: we don't believe this, until they get back in office and then, yes, we have evidence of this (maybe), and then they are the ones to correct everything. Frustrating, it's a grey beard tactic.
    Not to get too tangential, but, as long as the general population (on all sides) wallows in their willful and disconnected ignorance, we'll always have false prophets shaping the discourse to fit their own selfish (and usually economic) agendas.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to get too tangential, but, as long as the general population (on all sides) wallows in their willful and disconnected ignorance, we'll always have false prophets shaping the discourse to fit their own selfish (and usually economic) agendas.
    Perhaps Cosmos' positive ratings, particularly with young people, will cause a shift. Perhaps The Discovery Channel and The Science Channel and Arts and Entertainment (A&E) will return to educational programming and dump their reality show centered line ups. Perhaps news networks will go back to reporting the news rather than spewing vitriol and opinion. Perhaps people will pick up a book and read it even if it isn't intended for a young adult market and even if it isn't being made into a show or movie.

Hmmm. That sounds awful, um, not cynical.

Zappa was right: it's not getting any smarter out there.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well what's amazing to me is that the show was on FOX which is well known for the conservative FOX news.

Mostly.

Some affiliates chose not to show all of it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well what's amazing to me is that the show was on FOX which is well known for the conservative FOX news.
    Do you think maybe Seth McFarlane (one of the executive producers) exercised some clout to get it broadcast on Fox? His other shows are probably pretty valuable to the network these days.

LOVING this series. We just did a month Disney+ subscription and this series is worth that alone. Amazing! I am learning soooo much. I am on episode 7.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson