Thread: Goetz Steeger and User

Goetz Steeger and User

I wanted to draw some attention to the excellent Goetz Steeger and his CD / group /concept (I’m not sure which of the aforementioned might be applicable) entitled USER. I discovered him through someone posting a link to a club concert by the band in the Canterbury bands thread. Instrumentation is typical keys (Goetz), bass, drums and guitar.

While Canterbury (and other familiar) influences are part of the mix, Steeger is not clone. Classical and twisted pop are also wielded by Steeger’s strong individual personality to his purpose. On the first record from 2010 there are a lot of vocals mostly in German and all sung by Goetz. The quality of his voice may not cause the prog babes to swoon, but he sings with conviction and by no means do his vocals constitute unpleasant listening. I’m sure the lyrics are a significant part of the experience, but since I don’t sprechen sie deutsch it’s all lost on me. The music however is not worse for the wear, far from it. To any so inclined here’s his web site: http://www.user-album.de/#home . There’s a few samples that give a better indicator of the records since the live performance – though quite enjoyable – is lower-key. The second record from 2013 is all instrumental. Both are equally great.

Probably one of the cooler things I’ve heard from Germany in quite a while.

Really awesome stuff.

If you understand German the first Album works better, cause the lyrics are interresting.

Note that the drummer on the second Album also plays for Aquaserge.

Stuff from the first Album

and the second