Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever sell a bunch of valuable LPs on EBAY?

John Boegehold
    Sell them all now and invest the money in something she can cash in on after you shuffle off this mortal coil. How likely is it that she's going to want to deal with what would become a full-time job selling vinyl on eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Those acetates are pretty worthless to anyone except you. That's why you got them for that price.
    Somehow I doubt that, as I see now that LPs by UZ sell for about twice as much-
    Even if no one is interested in a one of a kind acetate, it should at least fetch as much as a mint LP fetches (which is around 35$, twice as much as I paid, and is unplayed).
    The same period that I bought this acetate I also bought a crate full of Pink Floyd LPs / Bootlegs (it was before ebay started removing those auctions) for 75$ including shippment-
    I sold abouth 1/3 of them for around 500$, so it is more complicated then "you pay as much as it is worth" -
    Mabe today this holds true with all the advancements in ebay (ie watch list) but back then it was very easy to miss a one week auction of an obscure band like UZ (I remember cause I used to check weekly for UZ, Magma, VDGG etc, manually!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    One store in Oregon valued my LP's at $540,000 but couldn't afford to make an offer.
    This appraisal was arranged by your wife's divorce attorney, right? . Talk is cheap -- especially when you don't have to make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Unless your death is imminent... I'd recommend putting them up for sale, a few at a time, here on PE. You've got an interested audience, you know we're trustworthy () and you can ask what they're worth.

After you're gone, believe me, everything gets hauled to Goodwill.
    You are better off selling them on the internet. The people on PE are so cheap they will buy from Amazon instead of a vendor just to save two cents. I have albums I bought in the 70's worth over a thousand dollars and would never get that from anyone on PE. There was an Italian prog album sold a couple years ago on ebay for around $2500, and those bidders aren't going to waste time here on PE, they are out making real money looking for collectables. There is a site somewhere that will tell you what the highest price paid for albums sold.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There is a site somewhere that will tell you what the highest price paid for albums sold.
    You mean this one?
    http://www.popsike.com/

Hi L - As Steve stated, it really depends on what kind of stock you have. Common US presses won't net you much unless sealed or in perfect condition. Original European albums from the early 70s (especially Italian, German, UK, and Scandinavian) will net you more than you may have imagined, as prices have skyrocketed in these areas.

ebay (feebay) is still the way to go for rarities. My advice is to study the site intensely. Learn about bidding behavior. The biggest mistake I see is that folks go in there with too high an expectation. They have a $15 record and they set the min bid to $15. Well, good luck with that. With auctions, one needs to create irrational demand. Learn that most bids occur within 10 seconds of an auction closing. Remember - all you need is TWO people who want something real bad to have a successful auction. Some things will sell less than you expect, and some will sell considerably more. I've always been in the black on auctions - by a wide margin.

I did the same thing as you, L: It's in my will. I lined up a close and dear friend of 25+ years who knows ebay like I do. And I trust him. He will get a nice percentage of the proceeds (after costs) for his children's college fund (or hopefully for himself as I don't plan on leaving anytime soon) - and my wife will get the rest in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This appraisal was arranged by your wife's divorce attorney, right? . Talk is cheap -- especially when you don't have to make an offer.
    That's why I followed it up with the actual bids which were less than 10% of the appraisal. Why are you so intent on deflating the notion of making money on records? This is not helping the OP

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the other 3,400 are just LPs that might not even get a bid or bid up to $5 or $10 tops. But if my wife could clear $5 per for 3,500 LPs... well, that would be nice for her... it's all I ask really... $20k
    Not worth eBaying.

For the legwork required to get $5.00 or $10, your friend or your wife will spend many, many days (and listing fees) with eBay to clear very little.

imo
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I did the same thing as you, L: It's in my will. I lined up a close and dear friend of 25+ years who knows ebay like I do. And I trust him. He will get a nice percentage of the proceeds (after costs) for his children's college fund (or hopefully for himself as I don't plan on leaving anytime soon) - and my wife will get the rest in cash.
    thanks for the support Tom... now all I need to do is find that guy!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Finding the right caretaker for your 'estate' rather than second-guessing some future market for your records seems the appropriate approach. You are thinking of your spouse.

These discussions can drive me crazy. It's not a competition; In the long run we'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the things we thought were marginal and disappointed in others. Better to enjoy the bounty now and share the love. LP, you have a distinctive taste for fusion and prog that leads the way for some of us at PE. I appreciate these genres because I spent years with someone who's love of music complemented mine: I learned about the 70's funk and fusion that I had passed over even though they intersected with my tastes in key ways. It's all good.

Have you ever made mix tapes? If so, I'd love to see your playlists. Finding the good groove in jazz and funk while tying in the fantasy landscapes of prog is heady stuff indeed. If you lived nearby I'd have you come over and spin some platters. We could have a deck party!

heh... I wish I had a friend in Tucson who was into Prog music and Funk... not easy to find
    as far as mixed discs, I take an artist and sometimes remix some of their work to make the listening experience more fulfilling... did this recently with Kraan

are you by chance attending BAJA Prog? I'd love to meet up with fellow PEers there this year... even ones who I might have clashed horns with 10 years ago I don't hold grudges
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?