Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Normal Love - Survival Tricks

I'm not going by anything official, but they haven't updated their site in years, their facebook only updates for other projects of band members, and they took down the list of active band members that used to be on the fb page. I also think it has been years since they played live.

They've been toast for years.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^Steve, will you bring back that NLove vinyl for sale at Wayside? It'll resonate like hotcakes, I promise!

[Lagavulin in session]
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ugexplode is also over and done with, might not be possible to get more vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Ugexplode is also over and done with, might not be possible to get more vinyl.
    Exactly. It's all gone afaik.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm going to listen to Survival Tricks tonight in headphones.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Good choice. I have been revisiting Extra Life today. Might be about time to spin NL too.

Extra Life
    They still get regular spins here too. Another example of a highly innovative, advanced and original band who evolved drastically from step to step yet somehow circled around the familiarity of the singer's voice and compositional imprint. Secular Works is exceedingly math-heavy and gloomy, whereas Made Flesh nods more to seriously skewed pop melody while retaining those formal intricacies. What I heard from the third release (an expanded EP) came of as almost avant-folky.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Good choice. I have been revisiting Extra Life today. Might be about time to spin NL too.
    Are they connected somehow, or just in the same wheelhouse? I guess you could throw Zs in there too, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    What I heard from the third release (an expanded EP) came of as almost avant-folky.
    Which one is that sir?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Are they connected somehow, or just in the same wheelhouse? I guess you could throw Zs in there too, yeah?
    Not directly connected, member in Zs at different times, both part of the late 00/ early 10s NY avant scene along with Kayo Dot. Intricate rock from schooled musicians.

The third album is Dream Seeds

I'm going to listen to Survival Tricks tonight in headphones.
    Good man
    For me easily the most "progressive" album I heard in the last 10 years.
    I asked Tim Hodgkinson and Chris Cutler's opinion when I met them a couple of years ago - they promised to listen...

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Good man
    For me easily the most "progressive" album I heard in the last 10 years.
    I asked Tim Hodgkinson and Chris Cutler's opinion when I met them a couple of years ago - they promised to listen...
    I wonder if they ever did....

Anyway, what an experience hearing this album all over again, and especially in 'phones. There are so many textural things happening in the production, and with headphones you really "get" what is going on with that stuff in the panning, FX treatments, etc Really almost overwhelming at times, but in a good way. This album is a gem, a brilliant work imo. You can revisit many many times and your brain will hear new details every single time. I really love the vocals on a track called "Breathe through your skin" - if you know that tune then you know what I'm talking about. One last quick point - there is no bullshit here - nothing that is just weird for weird sake or flashy technical passages that can sometimes disengage the listener if its overdone.....this is a VERY musical work that has an immense amount of thought in the compositional process, maybe akin to something like Art Bears or even the Cow in terms of an overall composing aesthetic. At least for me.

Anyway, what an experience hearing this album all over again, and especially in 'phones. There are so many textural things happening in the production, and with headphones you really "get" what is going on with that stuff in the panning, FX treatments, etc Really almost overwhelming at times, but in a good way. This album is a gem, a brilliant work imo. You can revisit many many times and your brain will hear new details every single time. I really love the vocals on a track called "Breathe through your skin" - if you know that tune then you know what I'm talking about. One last quick point - there is no bullshit here - nothing that is just weird for weird sake or flashy technical passages that can sometimes disengage the listener if its overdone.....this is a VERY musical work that has an immense amount of thought in the compositional process, maybe akin to something like Art Bears or even the Cow in terms of an overall composing aesthetic. At least for me.
    https://ugexploderecords.bandcamp.co...ough-your-skin

man at the 00:36 the guitar starts to get funky fantastic

Which one is that sir?
    Dream Seeds (the third one) is a full blown album with 52 Min. playtime. (and so 9 Min. longer than Made Flesh)

Compared to the first two it is much more minimalistic in sound, the band wanted to do an album which was closer to their live sound.

I think the vocals give this work a extra dimension that I often lacking in some of later day Avant Progressive groups
    sure there is a lot of detail but This album doesn't sound cold or like some dork amusing himself with the charts and playing little mind games that only he can really understand just to make it "complex" or "serious"
    for me its a "convincing" work I go back to like I go back to TMR

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually think they appear rather fresh. When I reviewed their first release back in the day, I seem to remember likening them to a chance meeting between Naked City, Charles Ives and '74-era King Crimson. And I stand by that. The charts they go through in the second half of that album (EP, really) reveal some of the densest "rock" this side of Zs and Woodson's Ellipsis.
    Just done listening twice to the debut and this makes so much sense Richard especially the Woodson's Ellipsis
    This one lacks that extra dimension that gives Survival Trick the edge - like comparing the live run of the Magic band of TMR on Grows Fins to the finished album with his lyrics and the free jazz horz added by Don and his cousin

btw Frankie and Richard can't wait to hear your assessment on the Stabscotch album
    waiting for the boom