Thread: First full song from Glass Hammer new album premieres at Prog Mag website!

First full song from Glass Hammer new album premieres at Prog Mag website!

This is one of the songs that Jon sings, with lyrics written by author Robert Low-

http://www.progrockmag.com/stream/gl...iere-crowbone/

Also featuring David Ragsdale and Randy Jackson (Zebra, not American Idol)

Nice harmonies! Is that Randy Jackson on the acoustic? The playing reminds me of Zebra a bit ("Who's Behind the Door", specifically).

Can't wait to get my copy of the album

Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Nice harmonies! Is that Randy Jackson on the acoustic? The playing reminds me of Zebra a bit ("Who's Behind the Door", specifically).

Can't wait to get my copy of the album
    No, actually that's me! And Kamran on 12-string. He played the lead fills at the end and sang a high harmony.

Like it! Agreed on the harmonies too - sounds lush!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Very nice!

I liked the harmonies too! But my favorite part was the instrumental interlude in the middle.

Nice harmonies! I take back my harsh criticism from the past.

Wow! Great tune , can't wait for the whole album.

I'm impressed. The GH sound has changed and matured over the years, and I think you guys manage to somehow keep getting better.

Totally Kick-A.

Old man of prog
    My preorder still hasn't arrived yet

Please Mr. Mailman!

Album arrived yesterday. I hope to give it several listens over the next few days.

I got mine today, along with a t-shirt, and as a bonus a Glass Hammer mug! A note says its a random drawing for the mug. Nice, I won something for a change!

Listening to the album RIGHT NOW! Sounds great, but I'll need a few spins before posting any kind of review.

I listened to the new album twice today. My initial impressions: It sounds like their most adventurous album, with a wider than usual diversity of styles. "Crowbone" sounds like it has some classic Italian prog influences, which is cool. They used more Moog (or virtual Moog) than on Perilous, which is good for me since I'm a Moogaholic.

Old man of prog
    I never got my preorder

But I did get a copy from Laser's Edge and I love it !

My preorder copy arrived a few days ago. After a few spins, I can safely say that it is very good. It seems like a collection that will slowly reveal more and more over multiple listens, as it has many layers.

The diversity here is a pleasant surprise. Compare tracks like Garden of Hedon, Crowbone and Porpoise Song, and they each sound quite different in style and tone. I love Porpoise Song.

Also, the chord progressions are perhaps a bit more adventurous. There seems to be (to my untrained ears at least) more use of tension-creating chords, perhaps more 7ths and suspended chords resulting in a slightly "unresolved" sound, lending an almost jazzy feeling to some of the music. I may be completely wrong though. Whatever it is, it's great!

Well, that was lovely. I will order this record. Wonderful use of space, silence, and dynamics. I think it was Debussy who said that music is the space between silences or something to that effect. I think the one minute "hard rock" break from 4:20-5:20 or so was jarring and didn't really fit in with the rest of the tune at all, but the rest of the tune is beautiful.

2nd spin was better than the first, a good sign. Quite a diverse album, and that explains some of my issues with IF and Cor Cordium, which to me did lack diversity of sound, though hardly a harsh criticism. My favorite tracks so far are the ones Susie sings on. Too early to remember song titles.

Jefferson James
    Absolutely love this, great music Fred -- love it when the heavy riff kicks in around the 4-minute mark. Ornate!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My preorder copy arrived a few days ago. After a few spins, I can safely say that it is very good. It seems like a collection that will slowly reveal more and more over multiple listens, as it has many layers.

the chord progressions are perhaps a bit more adventurous. There seems to be (to my untrained ears at least) more use of tension-creating chords, perhaps more 7ths and suspended chords resulting in a slightly "unresolved" sound, lending an almost jazzy feeling to some of the music. I may be completely wrong though. Whatever it is, it's great!
    Yes I hear what you mean exactly. I hear that in the first 2 tracks especially, which are probably my favorites from the album.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yes I hear what you mean exactly. I hear that in the first 2 tracks especially, which are probably my favorites from the album.
    Mine too.

Glad it's not just me. lol